Bad Reading Days

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
pjcsaville

Post by pjcsaville »

Does anyone have days where they can't get their tongue under control and you just mumble and can't enunciate anything through the first paragraph of a reading? Is that a cue to take a day off? haha
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yes, and yes. :)

When the tongue doesn't engage, there's no sense fighting it, in my experience. It's best to try again either in a few hours or another day.
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

It usually takes me a few paragraphs to get my mouth "working right." :wink:

So when I'm done with the recording, I just continue by recording the first few paragraphs (or page) again. If the initial paragraphs were "bad,", then I use those at the end, replacing the bad ones. Whether I use them or not, it's easy to cut them off the back end before uploading the file. :)

Don
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

"can't get their tongue under control and you just mumble and can't enunciate anything"

Congratulations! You've just mastered the Australian accent. :lol:

Son of the Exiles
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

DACSoft wrote:It usually takes me a few paragraphs to get my mouth "working right." :wink:

So when I'm done with the recording, I just continue by recording the first few paragraphs (or page) again. If the initial paragraphs were "bad,", then I use those at the end, replacing the bad ones. Whether I use them or not, it's easy to cut them off the back end before uploading the file. :)

Don
What a brilliant idea! I usually find that the disclaimer is sufficient warm-up for me.

One extremely simple word with which I always seem to struggle, for some unknown reason, is "however". It always seems to come out "hoover" or "hoo-ahver" or something equally awkward
Johndec

Post by Johndec »

Absolutely! I have a habit of reading the words on the page faster than I can enunciate them... and at a rate that would make it sound like gobbledegook! A steady pace is the key :thumbs: :)
brianna

Post by brianna »

happy I am not the only one!!!
brianna
Men work together,whether they work together or apart. (R.Frost)
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

"Have days!!!!!"

For me it's every day - but then I'm getting a bit better. The more you do it the better one gets at it.

My problem is that I sight read everything which means I misread a lot, and have to repeat. (Sometimes several times). This can be quite good as by immediately repeating I might get the meaning a bit better too.

I could never get through Oliver Twist or any of the even longer Dickens novels - well, unless I had about a year minimum.