COMPLETE [essays] The Democracy of the Constitution by Lodge -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

The Democracy of the Constitution, and other Addresses and Essays by Henry Cabot Lodge (1850 - 1924).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/the-democracy-of-the-constitution-and-other-addresses-and-essays-by-henry-cabot-lodge/
Henry Cabot Lodge was a popular American Senator from Massachussetts. He did not only make a name for himself as a politician, but also as an essayist, combining his personal experience as Senator with a study of the philosophical and historical background of this profession. The essays in this volume concern the American model of democracy in particular. Published in 1915, the essays contained herein also reflect the rapid changes brought about by World War I, which will interest a wide readership. ( Carolin)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/democracyofconst00lodg
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430
    7. Chapter Divisions: I tried making sure that all sections are of bite size, 15-20 pages. i did not assign a place where chapters of two or more sections should be broken, you can decide that yourself. post in this thread if you would like guidance!
    8. Footnotes: Please read the footnotes. Read them with the bracket: "footnote: [text]. end of footnote". If you think the footnote adds nothing, for example as it is just a reference, check with us and we will see if we can omit it.
    9. References in the Text: References such as "(Anthologies of America, vol i, pp. 889, 906)" can be omitted from the text. check with us if you are unsure.
      Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    10. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of The Democracy of the Constitution. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Democracy of the Constitution, and other Addresses and Essays, by Henry Cabot Lodge. [Chapter title (part x)]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Section [number]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Democracy of the Constitution, and other Addresses and Essays, by Henry Cabot Lodge. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    11. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      democracy_##_lodge_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. democracy_01_lodge_128kb.mp3)
    12. Example ID3 V2 tags (just leave those blank!)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Carolin
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

we have just completed the monumental work the english constitution by walter bagehot. now it would be interesting to bring an american point of view to the catalogue :)

all readers and a dpl are most welcome!
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Off we go to readers wanted :thumbs:
Carolin
HarthStonebrew

Post by HarthStonebrew »

Hello Carolin, I am a new member to the Librivox forum. I would like to join this project of The Democracy of the Constitution by Henry Cabot. Lodge. I would like to take a part in section 13, An American Myth. Also, I would like to ask if I am allowed to join, as I am not a native English speaker, and I might have some problems with pronouncing certain words (Of course I would look up the pronunciation, but just in case).

-HarthStonebrew
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hi and welcome to librivox!

you are more than welcome to participate in this project, of course! im glad you find it interesting :)

as this is your first claim, i need to create your catalog page. under which name or pseudonym would you like to be credited in the catalog? we can also link to your personal website or blog.

also, please complete the one minute test before getting started. this is not an audition, but only a way for us to make sure that your volume is good, that your mp3s have 128kbps, and to help you clean out background noise if necessary. it will take you 30 seconds to complete it, and then a few hours to wait for feedback, and then you are all set to get started :)

thank you!
Carolin
HarthStonebrew

Post by HarthStonebrew »

Hi Carolin,

For the catalog page, I would like my page under the username, HarthStonebrew. Currently I do not use any personal website or blog, so I don't think that is something to worry about.

I have just finished my one minute test. I know that I have some pronunciation errors, please put into consider that I am not a native English speaking student.

The file is 32 seconds, and it is around 0.50KB.
Here is the link:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=65611

I am glad to join your project, Thank you very much.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you :D

i have signed you up, your personal catalog page is here: https://librivox.org/reader/11721

i see tricia had a couple of technical things for you to look at. have you seen our wiki, it can be very useful.
here is an article on how to set up audacity properly (set to mono): http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Audacity_1-2-3
and here are several tutorials, among others some on the volume: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Audacity_Tutorials

let us know if there is anything we can help you with!
Carolin
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Would enjoy being dpl.
DaveC
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you dave, welcome to this project :mrgreen:
Carolin
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

This book looks interesting! I would like to claim parts 1 and 2, The Public Opinion Bill.
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you colleen :D
Carolin
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Oof I missed that there are a couple of tables in this piece. Looking for suggestions on how to handle them. I can read off the various numbers but it seems like it would be very monotonous and fairly hard to follow in listening to, rather than looking at it.

I am thinking that a good place to divide the parts of the chapter would be on page 15, after the first paragraph, ending with "or for second thought". That would put the long footnote (text of the bill) that starts the chapter in the first section, and the tables in the second, while dividing it at a small change in thought at just about the halfway point.

Open to suggestions from the more experienced on this! Thanks!
Colleen McMahon

Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Hi colleen, you are right, thats a difficult one. I dont think theres much of a workaround for tables. Please let me know if i can walk you through the table :)

I think your chapter division sounds very good. :thumbs:
Carolin
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

You know, I'm not sure it is necessary to read out the tables. The text is the text of a speech, and he only discusses the figures in general terms. The text part is perfectly understandable without the tables as it would have had to be in 1907 when he didn't have handouts or a projector,or power point to show everyone the figures. The specifics don't add much to the overall understanding other than to show that Mr Lodge did his homework...
Colleen McMahon

Carolin

Post by Carolin »

I totally agree with you, and i wouldn't mind if the table was omitted, but it is unfortunately against librivox policy. One of our few hard rules is that we dont add or omit anything from the text.

What might make it easier would be to read the table in sentences, like,
On november 4,1890, on the change of residence in the state not to disqualify a voter for certain offices for six months, 97177 voted yes, 44686 voted no, totalling 141863. On certain soldiers etc, not disfranchised, who have received aid from town or not oaid a poll tax, 100109 voted yes, 27021 voted no, totalling 127130. Taken together, thats 285526 votes for the governor, 143663 not voting in the former, 158396 not voting in the latter.

That way, you can package the numbers a bit better. Please verify that i understood the last two columns correctly, i might not have :)

Does this help?
Carolin