MP3 Isn't Dead

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I must not know the details on this topic. I had thought that the licensing of MP3s (whatever that means) doesn't have any implications except perhaps that it'd be easier to make MP3s in the future - that Audacity can bundle the MP3 encoder in with its program instead of making us install it separately, for example.

So an article saying "the sky is not falling" confuses me, when I thought the news was that the sky was in an even better position than before. :hmm:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

The popular news was that the mp3 was dead, the license was rescinded/canceled/terminated/oh my god the sky is falling.

When I first learned of it, it was confusing. The nature of this article does indeed claim the sky is not falling, and it does in fact mean the mp3 encoder can now be included in packages.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
ZamesCurran

Post by ZamesCurran »

TriciaG wrote:I had thought that the licensing of MP3s (whatever that means) doesn't have any implications except perhaps that it'd be easier to make MP3s in the future - that Audacity can bundle the MP3 encoder in with its program instead of making us install it separately, for example.
No, exactly the opposite. They still own the patent/copyright, they are just no longer going to let anyone use it.

And Audacity bundling is a completely different issue....
Truth,
James
---------------------
mahne

Post by mahne »

As I understand it, the licensing program has ended, because all patents related to mp3 are expired. Naturally they say it's dead and you shouldn't use it, because they can't make any more money with it...

And yes, Audacity could integrate an en-/decoder now, not sure if it can be the lame one, though.

here wikipedia on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3#Licensing.2C_ownership_and_legislation
and audacity: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/MP3#Legal_Issues

Cheers
mahne
all covers made by mahne, constructive criticism appreciated