[COMPLETE] Practice and Science of Drawing by H. Speed - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
iamgratitude

Post by iamgratitude »

Sorry, will certainly mention this henceforth. Thanks
Best wishes from the deepest bottom of my heart!
Mahima :)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

iamgratitude wrote:Sorry, will certainly mention this henceforth. Thanks
No problem. One more thing, though, that I just noticed. If you look at the very end of your section link, you may notice that it says
".mp3.mp3"

When you save your file, you do not need to type in .mp3 in the file name. It will be added for you, which is how it is here twice.

Ava, do you need Mahima to rename this, or is that something you can do?

EDIT: PL ok!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Mahima, it's quite a steep learning curve in the beginning, don't worry, in a week or two you'll know all there is to know on here (well, almost). Congrats to your PL OK - I hope to see you around all over LibriVox! :D

Devorah, I can change the filename on the uploader myself. If this is the only thing wrong with the file (as in this case), there is no need to reupload. It is a good idea to mention this in the MW so I won't forget it when cataloging.

Thank you very much, both of you!
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
iamgratitude

Post by iamgratitude »

Thanks a lot for your support and encouragement.
Will grab more, I am loving it :)

Thanks
Best wishes from the deepest bottom of my heart!
Mahima :)
mdevere

Post by mdevere »

Can I record Chapter 6?

I can draw objects at some level of representation, but not people or animals. Those are HARD.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Jo
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks for your file jo!

Margaret, thanks for claiming - section 6 is all yours, enjoy! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Awesome! I'll try to listen tomorrow. :)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

4 is PL ok. Sorry it took me a few days to get to it. :)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

May I read sections 10 and 11?

Thanks, Todd
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

You're on a claiming spree around the fourms, aren't you? ;-)

10 and 11 are yours, thanks for claiming! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
mdevere

Post by mdevere »

Hello Availle --

I need to beg off recording Chapter 6 -- sorry.

I have tried twice to record my chapter, and both times I've had sound problems. My previous chapter (on another project) I ended up recording four times.

I'll explain what's happening, and maybe you can suggest a fix or point me somewhere.

I read that popping p's and hissing s's are the result of air hitting the microphone. I had the p problem. So I've moved the microphone to several different places and run tests to figure out the best combination of recording volume and microphone position. I always run that test before recording. Today I settled on a mic position near my left eyebrow, and a recording volume of 0.50. When I tested that using the ReplayGain feature inside Audacity, it was pretty close to 89 dB.

So I recorded and fixed the various bloopers. Then tested the volume using ReplayGain and it told me that I needed to reduce the volume by 6.5 dB. So I did that. Then ran noise reduction. And finally, exported an mp3 file and ran MP3Gain. MP3Gain told me that I needed to increase the volume by 4.5 dB.

I started over and ran noise reduction first, then tested with ReplayGain. This time ReplayGain told me to reduce the volume by 5 dB, so it doesn't appear that the order of my operations makes much difference.

I don't know how to handle this volume issue. First problem -- my test showed me that volume was good. I recorded immediately, without moving the mic or changing settings, and then the volume was way high. Furthermore, ReplayGain and MP3Gain don't give me the same test results so I don't know who to believe.

Then, there's another issue. Every few seconds in the recording, there's a kind of thud or thump. It's not in my environment, and it's not related to my breathing. I have no idea where it's coming from. Is it related to the recording volume? Would I do better to move the mic closer to my mouth and set the recording volume lower?

And, unfortunately, I can't edit the thumps out because they're simultaneous with speech.

So .... I'm open for suggestions on improving my recording, but in the meantime, please let someone else do Chapter 6.

But .... I will prooflisten Chapter 6 after somebody else wrestles it into submission:)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Ugh, there's a lot of things to look at... I'm not a recording expert (mostly because I never had problems like this that needed fixing), but let me see if we can get to the bottom of this:

- Thumping: Since you say your mic is near your eyebrow now (Just picturing that... :lol: ) I assume you have a headset with a microphone? And a cable running to your computer? While you're recording, are you moving about? Something that could make the cable bump into... your desk, for example?
One way to find out if it is that (or computer related at all) is to do the following: Set up your recording equipment as for a recording, but just put the microphone down and record a few minutes of silence - no speaking, no moving, no touching anything. If the recording still has the thumping (and the environment was sufficiently quiet), then it's most likely something in your computer.

- Volume: It doesn't matter whether you use replaygain or mp3gain, just use a single program. Sometimes, the way they measure volume may be slightly different, so just choose one program and stick to it. Since your microphone is that far away from your mouth already, I would say you can turn the initial recording volume down just a little bit.

In general, noise reduction obviously reduces the volume. I do noise reduction as the very first thing before I edit my recordings. After I finish the edits, I export and run mp3gain, then I adjust the volume with audcacity accordingly and export again.

I hope we can fix these issues, would be a shame if you had to stop recording... Good luck! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

To stop the air puffs hitting my microphone I have a piece of pantyhose stretched over a 3x5 inch picture frame. I hang that between me and the mike and it really stops the p's and s's. I had tried moving the mike but that never worked for me - this "pop screen" works great.

Thanks, Todd
mdevere

Post by mdevere »

Thanks, Availle and Todd.

One comment to Availle: I don't do noise reduction before I edit because if I splice something in, it won't match. Unless I do noise reduction on the to-be-spliced bit, of course, but that could turn out to be a lot of steps.

Todd: I'll try your suggestion. It will be a little awkward with a microphone on a headset, but perhaps I can rig something. Perhaps I can just wrap something around the mic. It already has a bit of foam protection, but maybe not enough.

Margaret