COMPLETE[PLAY] The Devil is an Ass by Ben Jonson - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote:No such luck. But you might get sent back to Hell if you don't watch out!
:lol: well, I think for the moment I send myself to bed... 1 a.m. here and it was a long day

nightie night

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Pug finished.

This was a fun act, I had to go through several emotions. Whining in the beginning, then funny and cunning, then despairing near the end and I couldn't resist in my final speech to give my "boss" my two-cents-worth what I think about him. Pug's finally not taking it anymore ! The EmPUGer Strikes Back ! :twisted: My final stand, before I am shut up for good by Satan. (figured, if I have to go to hell anyway, what's there to lose :roll: )

Enjoy ! (I did) :mrgreen:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_pug_5.mp3
Recording time: 5:06 min.

Now taking off my devil's mask and becoming the friendly DPLer for the rest of the project :9:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Well deviled. Pugnacious, in fact.

Now, back to work!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you Todd. Are both Acts 4 and 5 PL ok ? You only marked Act 5, and neither are moved down. I'll move down 5 for now, but leave 4 as ready for PL, just in case

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote:thank you Todd. Are both Acts 4 and 5 PL ok ? You only marked Act 5, and neither are moved down. I'll move down 5 for now, but leave 4 as ready for PL, just in case

Sonia
I am doing 4 now. I had not realized I'd missed it until I went to mark 5 PL OK.

EDIT: 4 is also PL OK.

Thanks, Todd
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Ah, the boss ! excellent job again, Alan ! I was wondering whether we should do a special effect for the voice to make it more booming, but I think the natural cadence actually also works well.

But...how can I put this now without incurring your devilish wrath and you roasting me on a spit :help: Well, I guess I have to do my job and hope for the best:

> at about 2:56: you left out a huuuge monologue here on page 266-268 ! Starting with “Peace, dotard” (bottom 266), the entire p. 267 and ending with “You shall have both trust from us and employment” (middle 268)

*runs and hides*

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi Sonia

I am constantly amazed by how quickly you PL things. On other projects one can wait days for any response.

Not sure what happened here, I fear I may have lost a file. If I have do redo it then it will not be before the weekend. Luckily it is early days on this project.

I am not really seeing Satan as a powerful authoritarian figure, more as a rather dislikeable figure who is cynical and nasty about everything! Is he not supposed to be a fallen angel? (theology is not my strong suit).
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote:Not sure what happened here, I fear I may have lost a file.
oh you mean you did those lines, but may have deleted them by accident :( I'm so sorry about that, as it was so much work
I am not really seeing Satan as a powerful authoritarian figure, more as a rather dislikeable figure who is cynical and nasty about everything! Is he not supposed to be a fallen angel? (theology is not my strong suit).
yes I think both interpretations are valid. Some see him as pure evil, others more as dislikeable, but not too authoritative. Especially in the middle ages, the devil in the mystery plays usually was the comic relief (the one who had fire coming out of his bottom :mrgreen: and stuff like that). So, considering how old the play is, I'm sure Ben Jonson would agree with your characterization. Still, Pug is even more bumbling and that's why he still has a healthy respect for his elders and betters.

Sonia
brucek

Post by brucek »

Hi Everyone, looks like a fun project!
Todd, I would like to claim section 12: Shackles, Keeper of Newgate, Act 5.

Thanks,
Bruce.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

brucek wrote:Hi Everyone, looks like a fun project!
Todd, I would like to claim section 12: Shackles, Keeper of Newgate, Act 5.

Thanks,
Bruce.
Thanks. Don't you love these character names?

Todd
Hugabug008

Post by Hugabug008 »

Hugabug008 for my catalog name is fine. Here is my test: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/test_hugabug008.mp3
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Please post the test in the Listeners Wanted forum as explained in your introductory email. People with better ears than mine will be looking for it there, not here.

Thanks, Todd
brucek

Post by brucek »

Here's "Shackles, Keeper of Newgate, Act 5" duration 1:44

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_shackles_5.mp3

~~~~~
Bruce.