Post by neecheelok70 »

May I have 58, 63, 65, 77, 78, 81, 82? Jim
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

absolutely, thank you jim!
Carolin
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Here is 58. I researched for the id of A in Ams in one of the footnotes (a manuscript I assumed), but failed in my brief foray. I decided on Amsterdam, but it doesn't seem right. Any ideas?

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/literature2_58_disraeli_128kb.mp3 18.57 KB

19:48

Jim
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

Kate Follis
I love to read, AND my employer matches my volunteer hours with a donation to the Internet Archive, flagged to benefit Librivox.org. How cool is that?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote:Here is 58. I researched for the id of A in Ams in one of the footnotes (a manuscript I assumed), but failed in my brief foray. I decided on Amsterdam, but it doesn't seem right. Any ideas?
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/literature2_58_disraeli_128kb.mp3 18.57 KB
19:48
Jim
thank you Jim. I always love anecdotes about Richelieu, somehow this man was quite fascinating, although clearly not a very good person.

As for Amsterdam, I agree. My research also showed the book was printed in Amsterdam in 1687. However I think the entire "Ams" means "Amsterdam" and not "Amsterdam manuscript", because then it probably would have been written "A MS" and anyway, if it's printed it is technically not a "manuscript" in the original sense anymore. ;) I love it, that we discuss such "curiosities" as we find, embedded in the curiosities Disraeli tells us. :9:

But: no need to change that. There were no errors in your reading at all, so I'll mark it PL ok. Well done, yet again.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

interesting article as well, I did not know anything about this Felton guy at all. Perfectly narrated, yet again, Kate :9:

However there is a small inconsistency in the footnote, which maybe could be corrected, if you don't mind:

> at 12:15: “Lansdowne MSS. No. 203, f. 147.” – this “f.” does not mean “footnote” but rather “folio”, meaning it was on page 147, so I would either say folio or maybe page here

the rest was fine :)

Sonia
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you all :D
Carolin
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Thanks, Sonia. I did wonder why the ms was ms and not MS as it always is. But how wonderful to have guessed almost right.
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

Kitty wrote:
interesting article as well, I did not know anything about this Felton guy at all. Perfectly narrated, yet again, Kate :9:

However there is a small inconsistency in the footnote, which maybe could be corrected, if you don't mind:

> at 12:15: “Lansdowne MSS. No. 203, f. 147.” – this “f.” does not mean “footnote” but rather “folio”, meaning it was on page 147, so I would either say folio or maybe page here

the rest was fine :)

Sonia
Thanks, Sonia! I tried to find what the f. meant and it was certainly a wild goose chase and ultimately I made an uneducated guess, so thank you for the correction. I'll get that fixed today.
Kate Follis
I love to read, AND my employer matches my volunteer hours with a donation to the Internet Archive, flagged to benefit Librivox.org. How cool is that?
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

Here is the corrected file, with a time of 27:16:

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/literature2_60_disraeli_128kb.mp3
Kate Follis
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you Kate, perfectly corrected and PL ok now. And I agree, finding what f. means can prove difficult if one doesn't know the abbreviation. I had the same trouble in another text with d. Luckily Jim found out that it means "ditto", which made sense. The beauty of such a community is that there may always be one in the group who knows what it means. :9:

Sonia
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you both :thumbs:
Carolin
Kalynda

Post by Kalynda »

Il faut cultiver nos jardins.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you :)
Carolin
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kalynda wrote:Here's 16 (9:39) ...
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/literature2_16_disraeli_128kb.mp3
Others to come soon.
thank you Kalynda, beautifully and flawlessly read and as I already expected from you, the French poems are excellently recited :thumbs:

Yet another section to be marked PL ok.

As a small personal note, leaving over 3 seconds of silence between the intro disclaimer and the start of the essay felt a bit too long to me, but it's nothing that needs to be corrected for now. But maybe you might consider leaving out a bit less in your next section.

Sonia