[COMPL] Art Of Cookery Made Plain And Easy by H. Glasse - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Steve

Post by Steve »

The Art Of Cookery Made Plain And Easy by Hannah Glasse (1708 - 1770).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project: https://librivox.org/the-art-of-cookery-made-plain-and-easy-by-hannah-glasse/
Although this recording has been made using the 1784 version, the original book of The Art of Cookery, Made Plain and Easy was first published by subscription in 1747 by Hannah Glasse and was a compilation of the recipes typical for British meals produced in the kitchens of the more affluent classes in the 1700s.

It will become obvious to the reader (and listener) of this (audio)book that Hannah Glasse was a very experienced and consummate cook totally focussed on preparing and presenting a wholesome and varied range of fare for the family and guests of the household in the most economic and efficient manner possible.

In the book’s foreword – ‘To The Reader’ - Hannah Glasse states that she has ‘not wrote in the high polite style’ but rather it is her intent to ‘instruct the lower sort’ in their own way. By writing in her practical no-nonsense manner she is able to instil confidence in anyone who follows her recipes and advice to be able to produce an almost infinite variety of meals using whatever ingredients are available at the time.

If you are looking for recipes for ‘Fancy Food’ then this book is not for you. But if you are interested in discovering how some of the best, wholesome, ‘stick to your ribs’ meals were created, then join me in the kitchen to find out what some of the finest 18th century British cuisine has to offer.

(Steve C)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/artcookerymadep00glasgoog
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History /Modern (19th C)

Keywords that describe the book: cookery, food, cuisine, cooking, recipe, cook, kitchen, household

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [1] of The Art Of Cookery Made Plain And Easy; Which far exceeds any Thing of the Kind yet published." This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org""
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Art Of Cookery Made Plain And Easy, by Hannah Glasse. [To The Reader]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of The Art Of Cookery Made Plain And Easy by Hannah Glasse. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "Chapter [number] Part [number] - Title"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Art Of Cookery Made Plain And Easy, by Hannah Glasse. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename artcookerymadeplaineasy1784_##_glasse_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. artcookerymadeplaineasy1784_01_glasse_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags - It is not necessary to add the ID3 tags, it happens automatically at cataloging :)
    Artist: Hannah Glasse
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: The Art Of Cookery Made Plain And Easy

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kathrinee
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Steve on June 20th, 2017, 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Craigdav1 has joined the kitchen staff as DPL. :)
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Leaving a food crumb.
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

I'll join the kitchen team, too, as MC :)

ETA:
Here is a MW. We can shorten the filename more, if you like, but it is fine as it is :) I edited the first post so that the end silence is 5 seconds, no matter how long the recording is.

Please let me know if you need anything!
Kathrine
Steve

Post by Steve »

kathrinee wrote:I'll join the kitchen team, too, as MC :) Here is a MW.
Thanks for setting up Kathrine! So that's you, me & Dave running around the kitchen with sharp pointy utensils - what could possibly go wrong? :shock:

kathrinee wrote:We can shorten the filename more, if you like, but it is fine as it is :) I edited the first post so that the end silence is 5 seconds, no matter how long the recording is.
I'd like to keep the filename thanks. There are over 40 editions of this book and who knows - there could be others who just might want to record some different versions in the future.

I forgot to edit the 5 second requirement - thanks for that.
kathrinee wrote:Please let me know if you need anything!
A couple of things:

Is there a limit on the length for entries in the title field? I've started to edit the MW and section 7 will be the longest entry in the title field for this project.

Will the colon in the title field cause an issue when you transfer the project to archive.org? I know there's a problem with speech marks - " - So thought that I'd better check this one with you.

Cheers

Steve
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

1-4 PL OK.

Off to a tasty start.
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Steve wrote:
kathrinee wrote:We can shorten the filename more, if you like, but it is fine as it is :) I edited the first post so that the end silence is 5 seconds, no matter how long the recording is.
I'd like to keep the filename thanks. There are over 40 editions of this book and who knows - there could be others who just might want to record some different versions in the future.
Good thinking!
Steve wrote:
kathrinee wrote:Please let me know if you need anything!
A couple of things:

Is there a limit on the length for entries in the title field? I've started to edit the MW and section 7 will be the longest entry in the title field for this project.

Will the colon in the title field cause an issue when you transfer the project to archive.org? I know there's a problem with speech marks - " - So thought that I'd better check this one with you.
Let me check with somebody else on the length and the issue with colon. I think there might be a limit on the lenght, but I have no idea what it is (yet). I haven't heard anything about colon punctuation marks being a problem, but I'll see if anybody has more intelligence. By the way, the work-around for the speech marks is using two single ' marks right next to each other :)

ETA:
Let's move over to Going Solo
Kathrine
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Steve wrote: A couple of things:

There doesn't seem to be a limit for the title fields -- though I guess some mp3 players might cut off long ones.
Steve wrote: Will the colon in the title field cause an issue when you transfer the project to archive.org? I know there's a problem with speech marks - " - So thought that I'd better check this one with you.
Colon is fine, so you can use them to your heart's content :)
Kathrine
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hi Dave

Thanks for PLing the first four sections.

Section 5 is on the menu now!

Also, the inevitable 'bloopers' that appear in my recordings normally end up on the 'Cutting-Room' floor during editing but this one I just had to admit to:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28787&start=743

Cheers

Steve
Last edited by Steve on August 12th, 2017, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

5 PL OK.

Sounds like something that Lucy (of "I Love Lucy") would faithfully do.
Steve

Post by Steve »

craigdav1 wrote:Sounds like something that Lucy (of "I Love Lucy") would faithfully do.
I can well imagine that!!

Thanks for PLing 5 - Section 6 now uploaded.

Cheers

Steve
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

6 PL OK.

Feeling a little hungry right now.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Mrs Glasse has got in in for the sheep big-time in this episode with more recipes for mutton than you can shake a lamb chop at! - So that's dinner sorted then! :)

Thanks for PLing 6 - Section 7 now uploaded.

Cheers

Steve
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

7 PL OK.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thanks for PLing 7 - Section 8 now uploaded.

Cheers

Steve