COMPLETE[PLAY] Cupid's Whirligig (1607) by Edward Sharpham - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Cupid's Whirligig by Edward Sharpham (1576 - 1608).

Cupid's Whirligig is a city comedy: a play in colloquial language dealing with the everyday life of London's citizens. A knight, Sir Timothy Troublesome, suspects his wife of cheating on him and, to prove that any children she bears are not his own, decides to 'geld' himself. Meanwhile, the young Lord Nonsuch dreams of bedding the knight's wife, and in disguise enters the Troublesomes' employ as a servant. Cupid descends from the heavens to cast a love spell on the citizens of London and, by the last act, one character loves another, who loves another, and so on until the last loves the first: a "Cupid's whirligig". The knight's faithful servant, Wages, hatches a plot to match each man with his proper wife. ( Rob Board)
  • This project is complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page at: https://librivox.org/cupids-whirligig-by-edward-sharpham/
    1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please do not attempt to read from this text, as the archaic spelling and punctuation would not make it easy. Instead, click on the links in the Magic Window or in the second post in this thread): https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=k15iAAAAcAAJ&pg=PT6&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f;=false
    5. Please claim roles (see more about the roles in the second post below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      • Project Code: nNI1gtv1
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Edward Sharpham) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Sharpham
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cupid's_Whirligig
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 58
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      • Original publication date (if known): 1607
        ============================================

Genres for the project: Plays/Comedy

Keywords that describe the book: London, jacobean, city comedy, children of the king's majesty's revels

============================================
      • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
        Channels: 1 (Mono)
        Bit Rate: 128 kbps
        Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
      • Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
        [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Act [#] of Cupid's Whirligig, by Edward Sharpham. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
      • AFTER recording
        Save files as 128 kbps MP3
        cupidswhirligig_[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case) where # is the act number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
        • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
          (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
        • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: toddhw
        • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
        • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
        Please post below
Last edited by RobMarland on November 21st, 2017, 5:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Rob Marland reader section | website
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Family of Love is finished, so I am moving on to another city comedy.

If you're thinking about joining us on this project, you might like to know more about the characters. A star (*) before the name means the role is open - claim away!

WARNING: The only public domain version of the script I could find is this 1607 edition, which would be very difficult to read from directly due to the archaic spelling and punctuation. I have prepared a script with modern spellings based on a PD OCR version of the 1607 edition. Although I have made efforts to ensure the script matches the source, it is possible I have not caught every error. The readings will be proofed against the source, and I hope you will bear with me if I ask you to re-record a line or two if we catch any inconsistencies at the PL stage.

SCRIPTS

You can view Google Docs or Google Webpage versions of each act, whichever you prefer to read from.

ACT 1: Google Doc | Google webpage
ACT 2: Google Doc | Google webpage
ACT 3: Google Doc | Google webpage
ACT 4: Google Doc | Google webpage
ACT 5: Google Doc | Google webpage

As usual, I would prefer to keep the casting of the main roles gender specific. Some roles can be claimed by any reader. I will read Wages, and my niece and nephew will read the Boy and Scholars. A friend IRL is reading Nucome. I prefer not to allocate readers more than one role (if the project takes a very long time to complete, we can consider doubling-up later).

MALE ROLES

Sir Timothy Troublesome (Knight): 200 lines. The older male lead. A jealous knight who hatches a plans to foil his wife's supposed unfaithfulness by 'gelding' himself. His servant, Wages, tries to convince him Lady Troublesome is faithful, while another servant, Slacke (actually the Young Lord in disguise), argues for divorce because he secretly wants to wed the lady himself.

Young Lord Nonsuch [tomas]: 150 lines. A younger male and the villain of the piece. An arch manipulator, he spends much of the play in disguise (as "Slacke", a former soldier who becomes a servant of the Knight, and "Captain Woodley", a swaggering but cowardly officer). His main aim is to split up the Troublesomes so that he can seduce Lady Troublesome.

Nucome: 70 lines. A dim Welsh courtier. Has come to London to try at being a courtier, but is mocked for his unfashionable clothes and lack of bravery.

Master Correction: 30 lines. A stuffy, pedantic teacher.

Old Lord: 25 lines. Father of the young male lead. Plays the role of the nobleman who sets the scene for the play and presides over its denouement. Worried that his son, the Young Lord, is missing and presumed dead (in fact, he is in disguise, trying to woo Lady Troublesome)

Exhibition: 10 lines. An "inns-a-court man" (lawyer). Tries to woo Lady Troublesome but his legal gobbledegook doesn't get him very far.

Venter: <10 lines. An Alderman. Conversation parter of Old Lord Nonsuch. Concerned that his daughter, Nan, has gone missing (she is staying with Lady Troublesome).

FEMALE ROLES

The Lady Troublesome (Lady) [kitty]: 120 lines. The female lead. Wife to Sir Timothy (Knight). He incorrectly suspects her of infidelity. She forcefully defends her honour, and uses her wit to deflect the attentions of several men who try to tempt her from her husband.

Nan: 85 lines. Venter's daughter and an associate of Lady Troublesome. Falls for the Young Lord in his disguise as Slacke the soldier.

Peg: 60 lines. Kinswoman to Lady Troublesome. Falls for Nucome the courtier.

Mistress Correction: 50 lines. The madame of a brothel. Married to the respectable Master Correction, but plans to divorce him and marry Wages.

MALE/FEMALE ROLES

Wages: 200 lines. The joint largest role. Ostensibly the Knight's servant and go-between, Wages behaves similarly to the fool in King Lear, often dispensing comedic advice. He is also the cleverest character, often spotting deceptions before everyone else.

Boy: 20 lines. Nucome's page.

Servingman: 13 lines. A servant of Mistress Peg and Lady Troublesome.

Four scholars: Four schoolboys. There are four different children, but it will work if one person reads them all.

Cupid: <5 lines, but all long speeches.
Last edited by RobMarland on November 21st, 2017, 5:37 pm, edited 14 times in total.
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Hi Rob,

I was looking forward to this one since you first suggested it. I'd be more than happy to play the Young Lord Nonsuch, if not for the name alone. :lol: A villain who's always in disguise sounds too good to pass up!
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Rob would you think I would qualify as Lady Troublesome ?

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Kitty wrote:Rob would you think I would qualify as Lady Troublesome ?

Sonia
I've just gone back in time to check and it turns out Sharpham wrote this role for you. It's yours.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

WiltedScribe wrote:Hi Rob,

I was looking forward to this one since you first suggested it. I'd be more than happy to play the Young Lord Nonsuch, if not for the name alone. :lol: A villain who's always in disguise sounds too good to pass up!
Cracking! Thanks, chum.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I'll set this up for you.

EDIT: Well, I set it up but the MW is showing the wrong number of sections and starting with number 0 rather than 1. I have asked for help.... Stay tuned.

ANOTHER EDIT: Okay, I got rid of section 0 (which you can't do, Rob) and started adding sections (which you can do, Rob). Actually, Rob, you will have to Add Sections if you want more than 20 sections tonight cuz I'm having very slow wireless and it is taking too long to refresh between section adds for me to stay awake....

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RobBoard wrote:I've just gone back in time to check and it turns out Sharpham wrote this role for you. It's yours.
:mrgreen: great then.

Oh and I know you prefer to PL the roles yourself, but I can volunteer to PL the final acts again, if you have nobody lined up yet. I'm also fine with tackling ancient script and long 's' that looks like 'f', if need be.

Sonia
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Kitty wrote:
Oh and I know you prefer to PL the roles yourself, but I can volunteer to PL the final acts again, if you have nobody lined up yet. I'm also fine with tackling ancient script and long 's' that looks like 'f', if need be.

Sonia
Thanks, Sonia. I was hoping you would volunteer for this. Because of the errors we found last time I think we should PL from the original script. If you could PL the parts I am editing myself that would be good: Wages, Master/Mistress Correction, Boy, Scholars.

In the reading script, I have made all the spellings modern because otherwise I think it would be difficult for people to recognise some of the words as they move through the script at normal reading speed. I think if the pronunciation is a little different than you would expect from the original script, that will be OK as long as it is the same word. But if you hear a word that appears to have a totally different meaning from that in the script, please flag that.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RobBoard wrote:Thanks, Sonia. I was hoping you would volunteer for this. Because of the errors we found last time I think we should PL from the original script. If you could PL the parts I am editing myself that would be good: Wages, Master/Mistress Correction, Boy, Scholars.
sure, will do
In the reading script, I have made all the spellings modern because otherwise I think it would be difficult for people to recognise some of the words as they move through the script at normal reading speed. I think if the pronunciation is a little different than you would expect from the original script, that will be OK as long as it is the same word. But if you hear a word that appears to have a totally different meaning from that in the script, please flag that.
ok, understood. I prefer modern spelling as well LOL

Sonia
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Could I read for Cupid please? If you think the role is suited to a woman's voice?

(Also if you are not in too much of a hurry, as I have a shocking cold at the moment and can't record probably for the rest of this month.)
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Elizabby wrote:Could I read for Cupid please? If you think the role is suited to a woman's voice?

(Also if you are not in too much of a hurry, as I have a shocking cold at the moment and can't record probably for the rest of this month.)
Thanks, and no worries about any delay. We all know how many months these things take! Get better soon.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

May I read the old lord.
I may as well act my age!
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

alanmapstone wrote:May I read the old lord.
I may as well act my age!
Thanks, Alan!
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Hi, I'm happy with any female role you feel would suit :)
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page