[COMPLETE] Modern Monologues by Marjorie Benton Cooke -lz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny

Post by linny »

Modern Monologues by Marjorie Benton Cooke (1876 - 1920).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/modern-monologues-by-marjorie-benton-cooke/

The monologue is a character study in little; the apotheosis of a chosen individuality.” “All the little studies in this book have stood the test of trial before varied audiences.” (Marjorie Benton Cooke, Author)
“All the character studies in this book are intended to be spoken by one person, although the monologue form is not always retained. In some of the sketches the reader is required to do double duty and impersonate two speakers, which necessitates, of course, complete change of character” (Marjorie Benton Cooke, Author). That being the case please feel free to claim multiple parts in a sketch and parts in multiple sketches. Have fun!
    1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1 month of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/modernmonologues01cook
    5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per sketch.
    7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file: At the beginning: Sketch [#] of Modern Monologues by Marjorie Benton Cooke. This Librivox recording is in the public domain. Stage Directions read by...

If you are reading the Preface, please include the following intro: Preface of Modern Monologues by Marjorie Benton Cooke. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Sketch [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Save files as 128 kbps MP3
      modernmonologues_[role]_[##].mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the sketch number.
      If you are playing multiple roles in the same sketch, please submit a single file for all lines.
      If you are reading the entire sketch please submit a singe file named as modernmonologues_##_cooke_128kb.mp3 where ## is the sketch number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
        https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lz - lezer
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
[/list]
Last edited by linny on February 19th, 2018, 6:41 pm, edited 13 times in total.
linny

Post by linny »

Please note that the auto fill in of the template generator for the name of the author has a misspelling. Marjorie spells her name with an ie and not a y (See text)

I will fill the duties of DPL and Editor.
lezer

Post by lezer »

Hello linny,
I can be your MC for this project. I'll be back with a MW.
Anna
lezer

Post by lezer »

There it is, linny - a blank MW for you to fill in with details!
Let me know if you have any questions or problems.
Anna
linny

Post by linny »

Thank you, Anna!

Everything is set. I miscalculated and there are 2 extra sections but I'm fine with leaving them where they are.
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

This looks like a fun project. Not too many male roles, but to start can I claim:

18 - Bobby
45 - Reginald
57 - Butler

Maybe later I'll claim some stage directions, depending on which sketches finish quickly.
Tomas Peter
linny

Post by linny »

Thank you, Tomas. All yours!

I think this will be a fun project. The author wrote the sketches with the intent they were played by a single actor. I broke them down but it should still be fun.
lezer

Post by lezer »

Oops, forgot to move us over to the Dramatic Works forum! Sorry.
Anna
linny

Post by linny »

No problem, Anna. I figured we would eventually get here. :wink:

Thank you for the move. I do prefer being out of the fishbowl, otherwise know as the launch pad.
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

Hi! I'm an actress, and I've done many monologues, plays, etc. I change easily into different characters, voices, accents, and personalities. Although I am new here (I registered a couple of days ago), I do have the latest versions of GarageBand and Audacity, and I've been practicing the recording process in mono and exporting to MP3. I've ordered a good USB mic from Amazon, and I should be getting it today or tomorrow. As soon as I get it, I'll send you my 1 minute test.
I would love to take on the first 3 monologues that you have on the list, with the corresponding characters. I don't know if you would want me to also do the stage directions, but I can do that as well.
So I would like to sign up for Sketches 1, 2, and 3, including Gwendolyn Phillips, Mrs. Anstrom, Winston Cat, and Hostess. Stage directions as well, if this will help your compilation process.

You can credit me in my name, Linda Olsen Fitak
Thank you!
:D
Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Linda and welcome to LV!

Please do not send me your 1 minute test but rather post it in Listener's Wanted. Make sure you get the ok before you record for the project.

Here is your reader page: https://librivox.org/reader/11772
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Hi, I'm willing to play any young female role(s) :)
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Leanne,
I will be great to have you on the project but I would prefer if you selected the roles you are interested in.
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

I'll claim Juliet then :)
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

linny wrote:Hi Linda and welcome to LV!

Please do not send me your 1 minute test but rather post it in Listener's Wanted. Make sure you get the ok before you record for the project.

Here is your reader page: https://librivox.org/reader/11772
Hi! Thank you for the info on where to send my 1 minute test! I will post it in Listeners Wanted.
I have my microphone now, and Ive been reading some tutorials about how I can fix the volume levels, and reduce background noise in Audacity. I also downloaded the "Checker" and Mp3 gain.
I'm going to work on that 1 minute test today, and post it. I can't wait to start working on your project! Thank you!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772