COMPLETE [PLAY] Oroonoko by Thomas Southerne-maryann

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Oroonoko by Thomas Southerne (1660 - 1746).
Based on Aphra Behn's 1688 novel (which is one of the earliest novels in the English language), Thomas Southerne's <I>Oroonoko</I> is seen by scholars today as the driving force that kept Behn's work from fading into obscurity. During the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, it was considered even more popular than the novel, presenting theatergoing audiences with a highly touching tale of pathos and tragedy involving the eponymous prince-turned-slave and his undying devotion to his beloved wife, Imoinda. However, in this version, unlike in Behn's novel, Imoinda is a white woman, and there is also a comic subplot involving the husband-hunting Welldon sisters that caters to Restoration tastes (though in later productions, this subplot was removed altogether). This LibriVox production presents the play as it was first written, and in doing so, brings to the fore a number of interesting themes, such as the importance of individual liberty; the infallibility of true love; and the quick wit and determination of strong, independent women. ( Tomas Peter)
This project is now complete and can be found in our catalog here: https://librivox.org/oroonoko-by-thomas-southerne/

All roles are gender neutral. Please read the character descriptions below before claiming. Please read ONLY from the script links!

Act 1 | Act 2 | Act 3 | Act 4 | Act 5 | Scene-by-Scene Summary

BC's note: This is, admittedly, a fairly obscure play, and the antiquated English will be difficult to wrangle for some. However, since LibriVox's goal is to record all Public Domain texts, we would have had to get around to this one eventually, and now's as good a time as any. That being said, I'm not looking for perfection here---even I, when I first read this, had to stop and stare at a few passages in order to make complete sense of them. This is to be expected. If you choose to volunteer for this play (and I hope many readers who I've worked with in the past do, because I think you're all greatly talented), please don't be daunted by its apparent difficulty. Don't lose your nerve over the language. Get a general sense of your character, and perform him or her to the best of your ability. If you come across a difficult passage, read it as though you know what you're saying---there is no "right" or "wrong" way of performing this piece. Your interpretation will always be valid. And, if it's any incentive, this play is still studied in universities, so an audiobook version will be of huge help to some students out there.

I'm not expecting this play to be finished in a short amount of time. But if you are even vaguely interested in participating, please bite the bullet and claim something! You may find it even more enjoyable than initially anticipated. And if you are ever stuck, please feel free to consult my scene-by-scene summary of the play (listed above), so you know exactly what goes on in each act.

P.S. If you're concerned this play is super offensive, please know that it isn't. There is only one racial slur in the entire play (and it is uttered by a very unlikeable character, to boot), and in general, it is much more sympathetic to the marginalized characters than the Caucasian ones. Yes, at times its politics are problematic, but that is to be expected from a play over 400 years old.

MC: MaryAnnSpiegel
BC: WiltedScribe
DPL: Kitty
Editor: WiltedScribe
  1. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.

Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only use this as a reference and read your parts from the scripts located in the MW below or in the links above): https://archive.org/details/bub_gb_vLQJSutbHIgC
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:

At the beginning: Act [#] of Oroonoko, by Thomas Southerne. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Save files as 128 kbps MP3
    oroonoko_[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case) where # is the act number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  9. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by WiltedScribe on August 2nd, 2017, 3:05 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Tomas Peter
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Here is the cast of characters and their accompanying descriptions.

OROONOKO [ORE-UH-NO-KOH]. An African prince who is kidnapped and sent to Suriname as a slave. He is the protagonist in the play, and is shown as a man in love, desperate to find his wife. Appears in all acts --- ToddHW

LIEUTENANT-GOVERNOR OF SURINAM. A government official who lusts after Imoinda and is the play's main antagonist. Appears in Acts 1, 2, 4 & 5 --- Algy Pug

BLANFORD. The man who "owns" Oroonoko as a slave, but soon becomes a friend to him, and helps the slaves try to escape. Appears in all acts --- WiltedScribe / Tomas Peter

STANMORE. A neighbor of Widow Lackitt's who is Charlotte's primary love interest (once she stops disguising herself as a man, of course). Appears in all acts --- jasonb / Jason in Panama

JACK STANMORE. Stanmore's cousin, who is simply mad about Widow Lackitt, and will do anything to get into bed with her. Appears in Acts 1, 2, 4 & 5 --- kwpapke / Kurt

CAPTAIN DRIVER. The cold-hearted slaver responsible for kidnapping Oroonoko. Appears in Acts 1, 2 & 4 --- Roger / Roger Melin

IMOINDA [IM-OH-WIN-DUH]. Oroonoko’s white-skinned (and pregnant) wife who is reunited with her husband in Suriname after being forcibly separated by Oroonoko’s father. Spends a lot of the play being hounded by the lecherous Lieutenant-Governor. Appears in Acts 2-5 --- catharmaiden / Sandra Schmit

CHARLOTTE WELLDON. An English girl who dresses as a man and moves to Suriname with her sister in order to find husbands to marry. Volunteer must use a deeper voice when Charlotte is disguised (which is for much of the play). Appears in all acts + the epilogue --- Elizabby / Beth Thomas

LUCY WELLDON. Charlotte’s sister who is so desperate to be married and endowed with a fortune that she settles for Daniel Lackitt—a veritable mama’s boy. Appears in Acts 1, 2, 4 & 5 --- Kitty / Sonia

WIDOW LACKITT. A wealthy, credulous plantation owner who freely courts Charlotte (in the guise of Welldon). Main comic relief. Appears in all acts --- leanneyauyau / Leanne Yau

WOMEN SLAVES. Female slaves who abandon Oroonoko after the Lieutenant-Governor offers them pardon. Appear in Acts 3-4 --- bluechien / Eva Davis + Kitty / Sonia

ABOAN [AB-OH-WAHN; please stress the first syllable]. A friend of Oroonoko's in Africa, and also in Suriname. He is behind the revolt of the slaves, and also has a part in reuniting Oroonoko and Imoinda. Appears in Acts 3-5 + the prologue --- larryhayes7

DANIEL LACKITT. The son of Widow Lackitt who is married off to Lucy; as a devoted mama’s boy, he has no clue how to be a good husband (nor does he really want to be one), which provides the play with some comic relief. Appears in Acts 2, 4 & 5 --- NemoR / Nemo

HOTTMAN. A slave who initially rallies for the uprising, but later balks and betrays the other slaves to the officials. Appears in Act 3 --- NemoR / Nemo

THE PLANTERS. A bunch of cruel slave-owners. The First Planter has the most lines; the Fourth Planter the least. Appear in Acts 1, 2 & 5 --- MillionMoments / Melanie T; NemoR / Nemo; Paezra & chymocles / Thomas A. Copeland

SLAVE. One of Aboan's associates. Appears in Act 3 --- Algy Pug

SINGING SLAVES. Slaves who, well, sing. Appear in Acts 2 & 3 --- alanmapstone

SERVANT. Someone delivering a message to Stanmore. The play's smallest role. Appears in Act 5 --- mightyfelix / Devorah Allen

NARRATION --- bluechien / Eva Davis
Last edited by WiltedScribe on July 23rd, 2017, 11:15 am, edited 21 times in total.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

hi :) logging in to confirm as DPL.

And I think after some deliberation, I will try for the role of Lucy in this one. :mrgreen: some of her quips are quite good.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Tomas,
Happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Perfect, thanks MaryAnn! The MW is ready, so interested parties can begin claiming. :thumbs:
Tomas Peter
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Tomas, sign me up for Daniel Lackitt!

I mean, really, how could I pass up a chance to act opposite Kitty, kiss her twice, marry her and then have her call me a lubberly, slovenly, misbegotten blockhead????

It's like a dream role! :9:

Nemo
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

NemoR wrote:Tomas, sign me up for Daniel Lackitt!

I mean, really, how could I pass up a chance to act opposite Kitty, kiss her twice, marry her and then have her call me a lubberly, slovenly, misbegotten blockhead????

It's like a dream role! :9:

Nemo
ok THAT at least made me chuckle. Thanks for that (much needed).

And don't forget that I also promised to cuckold you at the first opportunity :mrgreen:

I am looking forward to your lubberly, slovenly performance

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thanks for claiming, Nemo! :) I can't wait to hear how you and Sonia banter.

And I also noticed I had forgotten to add sections for the narrator, so they're there now for whoever wants to claim that role. :thumbs:
Tomas Peter
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Hi, may I claim the Widow Lackitt? Or any female role you feel would suit - I don't mind!
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

leanneyauyau wrote:Hi, may I claim the Widow Lackitt? Or any female role you feel would suit - I don't mind!
Thank you for volunteering, Leanne! :) I'm going to let you have the Widow, since she is naturally a very garrulous character, and I think you can nail her quick-paced dialogue with aplomb. Please have fun with this one---even if you don't entirely understand everything she says, just throw yourself into the character and your enthusiasm will do the work for you.

Oh, and a reminder to read from my Google Docs listed in the very first post (or, alternately, at the bottom of the MW). My version has modernized spelling and a much easier interface to read from.
Tomas Peter
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Oh, and I've added a note and scene-by-scene summary to the first post, for both potential volunteers and those looking for a quick synopsis of play's main plots.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

first in :mrgreen: here's a hopefully cheeky enough Lucy. I find she has a sensitive side as well though, for the slave-cause.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/oroonoko_lucy_1.mp3
Recording time: 2:22 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/oroonoko_lucy_2.mp3
Recording time: 1:10 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/oroonoko_lucy_4.mp3
Recording time: 1:15 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/oroonoko_lucy_5.mp3
Recording time: 1:46 min.

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Sonia, I am happy to report that Lucy is entirely PL OK! :D Fantastic job, as always. I love the air of authority you imbued her in her conversations with Daniel---you can already tell who will be wearing the pants in the house of that relationship! :lol: And the play-acting at the beginning of Act 5 is perfect---she knows she is putting on a show, but her sorrow still feels sincere. Great work in doing justice to this supporting role.

Also, I'm considering making all open roles gender neutral after maybe another week of waiting, which means female readers will be able to claim any male character if they so wish. Normally I try to keep the leads gender specific, but both the play's obscurity and language seem to be deterrents. So, if nothing more happens this week, I'll take away the current restrictions and hope that something comes of it.
Tomas Peter
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I've just seen this, and I think I'd be interested to read for Charlotte Weldon - I have a male voice impression ready to go, and I have a cold at the moment so I'm extra-husky! :roll: I've had a look at the style of language and I think I can manage it...
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Elizabby wrote:I've just seen this, and I think I'd be interested to read for Charlotte Weldon - I have a male voice impression ready to go, and I have a cold at the moment so I'm extra-husky! :roll: I've had a look at the style of language and I think I can manage it...
Yay, thanks Beth! :) I can't wait to hear what you have in store. And please don't worry about getting the language 100% right. The general meaning is what's important.

In other news, I've decided to remove the gender restrictions now rather than waiting another few days. That means women can claim male roles (and vice-versa, though that's seldom done LOL). I know of one reader who turned down Charlotte, so maybe they will be more partial to one of the male roles (and yes, this is a thinly-veiled plea to that reader to claim something).

Oh, and if you looked at this and turned it down because you think it's maybe racist or horribly offensive, well, I've tried to assuage your concerns in the first post. I mean, it's problematic in the way a lot of stuff from the seventeenth century is, but we're not talking about white supremacist propaganda here or anything. I'd never be involved in anything so vile. *insert the puke emoji we don't have*
Tomas Peter