Interesting Photographic Concept - Audio Possibilities?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyypojFcg7-9C94PYubxBTNG92fubqObIdxc44efR1gDLEpI0fLKlL1D-ZTQ

https://sydneylivingmuseums.com.au/exhibitions/convict-family

"For documentary photographer, Mine Konakci, the project presented the opportunity to delve deeper into her fascination with ancestry. “Many of Australia’s early convicts suffered disproportionately in comparison to their crimes. A petty crime, such as stealing a loaf of bread, resulted in transportation to a new colony and a new path in their family’s history. As a photographer, what interested me was the impact that the theft of objects—most of a relatively small value—could have on people’s lives. By photographing descendants with a representation of the item stolen by their ancestor, I have drawn a link to their family’s untold history,” said Mine Konakci."

I wonder if this could be adapted on a broader basis ... ancestry in general, not just convicts ... for the subject of a Librivox project?
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

No.
We've refused family histories before , they don't meet the previously published criteria , and I doubt you'd find much family history published before 1923 that mentioned convict ancestors it wasn't fashionable.
As an aside , I have been actively involved in a genealogical society and never met anyone whose ancestors were sent here because they were mass murders or throughly nasty people in any way, just stealing bread cos they were hungry or stealing things worth the maximum amount that didn't involve hanging which just shows courts were reluctant to impose still sentences then too :D

Anne
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Wasn't thinking of family histories.

Was thinking of previously published material that just happened to be the thing ones emigrant ancestors were noted for.

In my case, it would be something to do with wheat.
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

You mean like, those of us whose ancestors were migrants for whatever reason would record a book that has something to do with why these ancestors migrated? Or maybe a collection of short stories and/or poems? That sounds cool, go for it if you like :D :thumbs:

I cant be part of it myself, my fathers family can be traced back to the middle ages, always in the same area :lol:
Carolin