Business Cards?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

So the other day, someone complimented me on my voice, and I mentioned that I record for LibriVox. She seemed very interested (hadn't heard of it before, but listens to a lot of audio books, from the library and so forth), so I wrote down the domain name for her and a couple of the titles I'd worked on. And it occurred to me: I should print up business cards, just to pass out if LibriVox comes up in conversation with anyone. You know, I could put the address to my reader page on there and stuff. So I'm thinking this is a great idea. But then I realized that maybe I should check here to be sure that's allowed. I mean, our recordings are public domain, but what about the name? Is there a LibriVox brand, and do I need permission to use it? Sorry if the answer to this is already posted somewhere.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

No permission needed.

Check out this page: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Promotional_Material
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Wonderful! Thank you so much!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

If you work out a design, would you be willing to add it to the wiki? I'd thought about the same thing in the past, but don't know how to set it up. Would you be planning to print your own or have them printed professionally?

Thanks,
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

ooh, interesting. LibriVox business cards sound pretty cool. I keep finding myself explaining what LibriVox is to all kinds of people, when they ask me what my dissertation is going to be about. having cute cards to give away would be very fun! (provided I remember to carry them around with me, that is...)
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
denty28bc

Post by denty28bc »

Now I too am curious as to whether the original poster mightyfelix followed through with a LibriVox business card. Interesting idea indeed.
"The chief function of the body is to carry the brain around."
~ Thomas A. Edison
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I did, actually! I bought Avery 28877 snap-out printable business cards that print 10 per page. I didn't see any templates on the wiki that would fit the format of the pages that I bought, but I grabbed one of the images from that page that has LibriVox.org on it and put that for the front of the card. For the back, I used one of the templates provided on the Avery website (free! they better be, actually, considering what I paid for the cards themselves), and printed on it,

"Listen to books read by Devorah Allen:
www.librivox.org/reader/11084"

And then in smaller font below:

"To volunteer, go to:
www.librivox.org/pages/volunteer-for-librivox"

I keep several in my wallet and have handed out quite a few. Actually, I need to print up some more!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Peter Why wrote:If you work out a design, would you be willing to add it to the wiki? I'd thought about the same thing in the past, but don't know how to set it up. Would you be planning to print your own or have them printed professionally?

Thanks,
Peter
I wouldn't mind doing that. Although, the template I have is a PDF with my own reader information already on it, and I don't think you can alter text in a PDF file? Or you have to convert it to something else first?
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

i had some done and leave them around at random :) no idea if they ever brought anyone in though..
Carolin
denty28bc

Post by denty28bc »

Good to know that you've created your own card. Avery seems to have good selection of offerings. About pdfs, yes you have to an editor. There are a few free ones but I don't know enough to suggest.
"The chief function of the body is to carry the brain around."
~ Thomas A. Edison