COMPLETE[PLAY] Orra: A Tragedy by Joanna Baillie - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Okay, I think it just tagged on for act 5 when it shouldn't have been there, but it is still in act 2 where it belongs.

So, here is act 5 without the tagalong and hopefully it is that simple!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_eleanora_5.mp3
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

sometimes it is that easy ;) thanks...I really thought I was blind here not to see this bit. And the worst bit is, I did not even realize I heard it before :roll: maybe I have PLed a bit too much already today

Thanks, it's PL ok now :)

not bad for the first 24 hours

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

ChuckW wrote: Thanks... and please don't worry too much about the pronunciation. It's common enough and nothing really to shvitz about, in the grand scheme of things. I did put your pronunciation suggestions in the MW, however.
I so appreciate it :thumbs:

I spend a lot of time shvitzing about pronunciation .... I have a lot of dictionaries on speed dial ...
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Kitty wrote:first one in :) here is Catrina, in a way a very tragic character as well

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_cathrina_1.mp3
Recording time: 1:03 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_cathrina_2.mp3
Recording time: 2:48 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_cathrina_3.mp3
Recording time: 1:23 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_cathrina_4.mp3
Recording time: 4:34 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_cathrina_5.mp3
Recording time: 0:52 min.

Chuck, do your PL duty, and then for the remaining recordings, leave it to me :mrgreen:

Oh and Leanne, great to have you as Alice, our dialogue in Act 2 will be so great together :9:

Tomas, thanks for taking my advice ! :thumbs: You'll be great.

edit: I cannot enter the MW yet :help: TOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDD !

Sonia
PL OK. Great job, Sonia. You were actually spooking me out while I was listening to this... so, um, yeah.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChuckW wrote:PL OK. Great job, Sonia. You were actually spooking me out while I was listening to this... so, um, yeah.
great thanks :D hope you were not listening to this in bed :| was it really that spooky ? :hmm:

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Kitty wrote:
ChuckW wrote:PL OK. Great job, Sonia. You were actually spooking me out while I was listening to this... so, um, yeah.
great thanks :D hope you were not listening to this in bed :| was it really that spooky ? :hmm:

Sonia
Well, I wasn't quivering under my bedsheets or anything, but it certainly evoked some of the play's sense of raw, irrational terror.
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
RecordingPerson

Post by RecordingPerson »

My performance here is poor. I made several recordings for this part, but cannot do it justice. I'll ask the PL to decide whether they want this for the play, or whether I should (i) try again, or (ii) pass the role to someone who can do it better.

Please choose whatever is best for the project, not what is best for me.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_urston_5.mp3 1m03s
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_urston_3.mp3 1m33s
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_urston_1.mp3 0m32s
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RecordingPerson wrote:My performance here is poor. I made several recordings for this part, but cannot do it justice. I'll ask the PL to decide whether they want this for the play, or whether I should (i) try again, or (ii) pass the role to someone who can do it better.
I really think you are a bit too hard on yourself RP :) I just listened to the three recordings, and they are really well read and also "acted" with emphasis and feeling. What more can one wish ? I liked your portrayal of the caring priest very much and you read it very fluently.

All right, since you expressly asked me to give my honest judgment on the performance, there is one note I would make:

In Act 5: maybe the exclamation "Hah! Think ye that she does ?" I would not have said it as jovially as you did. It seems to me more like he is wondering, surprised, almost hopefully whispering that maybe Orra has regained her senses and her recollection. So I would have said it more in a musing whispering tone.

But that is only MY reading of it, and as I keep telling people: if you have 5 actors playing the same role, they will end up with 5 versions of the role and mostly all of them will be good in one light or the other. If that is how you felt Urston would react, then this is perfectly ok as well. :)

So I will mark all 3 Acts PL ok.

Actually the WORST thing you did is naming the file for Act 2 with the number 3. I twice searched desperately through act 3 for Urston's lines, before I finally decided to check the MW and see it was Act 2 :evil: if you care for your DPLer's well-being, don't do this again. :wink:

Oh one question for Act 1:

I see you have done the final quote twice. In my opinion the second choice would be more fitting, you say it a bit more ponderingly, which is better in this case. But did you have a preference or do you let the Editor choose ?

Sonia
RecordingPerson

Post by RecordingPerson »

Kitty wrote:
RecordingPerson wrote:My performance here is poor. I made several recordings for this part, but cannot do it justice. I'll ask the PL to decide whether they want this for the play, or whether I should (i) try again, or (ii) pass the role to someone who can do it better.
I really think you are a bit too hard on yourself RP :) I just listened to the three recordings, and they are really well read and also "acted" with emphasis and feeling. What more can one wish ? I liked your portrayal of the caring priest very much and you read it very fluently.

All right, since you expressly asked me to give my honest judgment on the performance, there is one note I would make:

In Act 5: maybe the exclamation "Hah! Think ye that she does ?" I would not have said it as jovially as you did. It seems to me more like he is wondering, surprised, almost hopefully whispering that maybe Orra has regained her senses and her recollection. So I would have said it more in a musing whispering tone.

But that is only MY reading of it, and as I keep telling people: if you have 5 actors playing the same role, they will end up with 5 versions of the role and mostly all of them will be good in one light or the other. If that is how you felt Urston would react, then this is perfectly ok as well. :)

Actually the WORST thing you did is naming the file for Act 2 with the number 3. I twice searched desperately through act 3 for Urston's lines, before I finally decided to check the MW and see it was Act 2 :evil: if you care for your DPLer's well-being, don't do this again. :wink:

I see you have done the final quote twice. In my opinion the second choice would be more fitting, you say it a bit more ponderingly, which is better in this case. But did you have a preference or do you let the Editor choose ?

Sonia
Thank you very much. I imagined this as being a bit of a Shakespearean role, but couldn't put that gravitas into it. Think Richard Burton as Hamlet as an indication of what I'd like to have been a bit more like. The 'Ha! Think ye that she does?' wasn't meant to sound jovial. It was meant to sound scornful and dismissive. Note: I'm agreeing with you, and pointing out how my acting needs improvement, not disagreeing with you. I didn't know how to read the final quote, so read it twice in two different ways so that the editor could choose.

I think that with time and effort I could improve this. But, unless there's something that should really be done again, that time and effort could be better spent on new roles that aren't yet recorded. Maybe.

Thanks for your feedback. BTW: I self-consciously want to be hard on myself, and for others to be hard on me. That's the best way to improve.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

RecordingPerson wrote:
Kitty wrote:

Sonia
Thank you very much. I imagined this as being a bit of a Shakespearean role, but couldn't put that gravitas into it. Think Richard Burton as Hamlet as an indication of what I'd like to have been a bit more like. The 'Ha! Think ye that she does?' wasn't meant to sound jovial. It was meant to sound scornful and dismissive. Note: I'm agreeing with you, and pointing out how my acting needs improvement, not disagreeing with you. I didn't know how to read the final quote, so read it twice in two different ways so that the editor could choose.

I think that with time and effort I could improve this. But, unless there's something that should really be done again, that time and effort could be better spent on new roles that aren't yet recorded. Maybe.

Thanks for your feedback. BTW: I self-consciously want to be hard on myself, and for others to be hard on me. That's the best way to improve.
Holding yourself up to the standards of Richard Burton is an almost impossible standard to meet. You're bound to set yourself up for failure. LOL.

I will reiterate what Sonia said here: your performance is quite good and nothing to beat yourself up over. At the same time, I understand this impulse: it's hard not to spiral into some serious self-loathing when you're in the middle of fiddling around with your own voice recording. Just know that all of us, to some extent, have these anxieties and fears. You're not alone in doubting yourself. Most of us are non-professional performers, so trying to hold ourselves to the impossible standards of those who get paid for this sort of work is a losing battle. All we can do it continue recording, and grow, and learn.

Anyway, thanks for the files. One step closer to bringing this all together. :-)
PROJECTS
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Yay, one of the main characters is in. :9: Thanks Todd !

Act 1: you make Theobald very upright and honest. The true hero of the story. Nicely characterized :)

I would have a small note here though:

> at 1:26: “destines for Orra’s husband” – I think this word is pronounced “DES-tinns” (relating to “destiny”) instead of “des-TYNES”, that’s why I first did not understand the meaning. But maybe this is the American pronunciation which I don’t know about, so feel free to ignore this comment

Act 2: PL ok

Act 3: PL ok. The joy at finding his old playfellow again is really palpable here. Somehow endearing.

Act 4: loved the despair at the end finding Orra

One big chunk missing though:

> at about 0:59: missing longer speech here (p. 77 middle till end): “No semblance, but real agony of fear [….] That I should trust to this !” – perfect opportunity to be a bit dramatic again ;)

Act 5: PL ok. I loved that scene where you first scream at Hartman, and then turn all gentle to Orra. Perfectly in character there :thumbs:

Sounds like you had fun recording this :)

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

It is such a pleasure to see your comments! Thank you.

"Destines" is a new word to me - not obscure American pronunciation. I'll try the pronunciation you suggest.

Ah, in Act 4 p77 the "Theo" line label is in the stage direction. What a great speech and opportunity for true anguish to have missed! I caught the aftermath on p78 but sorry I missed this!

Yes - fun role. I'll have to wait 'til others are more awake around here before I record the fixes - a tormented soul at dawn would not be nice to inflict upon my neighbors.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote:It is such a pleasure to see your comments! Thank you.
well it's my pleasure to listen to you all, so I like to give a bit back :)
"Destines" is a new word to me - not obscure American pronunciation. I'll try the pronunciation you suggest.
well I don't want to presume that I know more than a native speaker though :? You may know the figure of speech: "he is destined for a great future", where it's the same verb and I think I already heard that spoken "DES-tinned"
Ah, in Act 4 p77 the "Theo" line label is in the stage direction. What a great speech and opportunity for true anguish to have missed! I caught the aftermath on p78 but sorry I missed this!
well, you'll have the opportunity now :mrgreen: let loose !
Yes - fun role. I'll have to wait 'til others are more awake around here before I record the fixes - a tormented soul at dawn would not be nice to inflict upon my neighbors.
:lol: they may already think that they have a strange neighbour. I sometimes wonder what people think when I am doing some scenes. Although I close the windows when I record, I always have it open when I PL. People passing by my house may wonder what's up.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Updated Theobald Acts 1 and 4 uploaded.

Thanks, Todd