[Complete]Flower-Patch Among the Hills, F.Klickmann -lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Flower-Patch Among the Hills by Flora Klickmann (1867 - 1958).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/flower-patch-among-the-hills-by-flora-klickmann/

Volunteers outside the USA: Flora Klickmann died in 1958. Her work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years.
After poor health force Klickmann to move from London to the country, she began writing a series of sketches for The Girl's Own Paper and in 1916 she published the first of a series of books based on them. Her cottage, known in her books as "Rosemary Cottage", had an idyllic country garden and spectacular views over the River Wye and Tintern Abbey. The book, The Flower-Patch Among the Hills, was highly successful; a reprint was needed after two weeks. In later years, she wrote six more Flower Patch books, the stories growing to involve her household and the local people, combining nature description, anecdote, autobiography, religion, and humour. ( Lynne Thompson)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/51228
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Flora Klickmann) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flora_Klickmann
    7. Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    8. Number of sections (files) this project will have: 15
    9. Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    10. Original publication date (if known): 1916
    11. If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Animals & Nature

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Please ignore footnotes
  • DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of Flower-Patch Among the Hills . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Flower-Patch Among the Hills , by Flora Klickmann. [Section title]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [section number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Flower-Patch Among the Hills , by Flora Klickmann. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    flowerpatchamongthehills_##_klickmann_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. flowerpatchamongthehills_01_klickmann_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Hi Lynnet,

May I claim the following section please:

12 The Little People of the Streams

Thank you!

Nemo
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

NemoR wrote:Hi Lynnet,

May I claim the following section please:

12 The Little People of the Streams

Thank you!

Nemo
You certainly can!
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Section 12, ready for PL:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/flowerpatchamongthehills_12_klickmann_128kb.mp3

Length is 13:25

This was such a lovely little story!

Nemo
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

NemoR wrote:Section 12, ready for PL:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/flowerpatchamongthehills_12_klickmann_128kb.mp3

Length is 13:25

This was such a lovely little story!

Nemo
I'm pleased you enjoyed it!
psmythe

Post by psmythe »

Hi Lynette,

I'd like to take a section for PLing, preferably a shorter one. This is my first attempt at volunteering.

Thank you,
psmythe
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

psmythe wrote:Hi Lynette,

I'd like to take a section for PLing, preferably a shorter one. This is my first attempt at volunteering.

Thank you,
psmythe
Thank you for volunteering!
Have you read the guidelines in the wiki? http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/ProofListening_tips_and_quiz One of our admins put together the quiz and even proof listeners who have been doing it a while are finding it valuable.

So far, only one file has been submitted (section 12). It is just over 13 minutes long but shouldn't be too taxing. If you'd like to listen to that, please do. It is important you listen through headphones (even earbuds will work, but the better the headphones, the better you will be able to detect issues). Click on the "Listen" link and you can listen through your computers media player. If you have Audacity (the recording program most of us use), you can listen through that, which makes it easier (I think) to double check if, for example, you're not quite sure of something.

Post any comments in the thread (e.g. Section 12 PL notes:...)
Any repeats or stumbles, it is very helpful (essential even) to note the time so the reader can find it to correct it, and you or another PLer can find the spot to check the edit was made correctly.
I will update the Magic Window with your comments. If you decide to become a DPL, you will have access to the MW so you can do this yourself.

If you have any questions, please ask.
Lynne
psmythe

Post by psmythe »

I read through the guide a couple of times, not sure I have it but want to try. I'm excited and will probably need practice, but I'll work carefully & post when I'm done.

tks,
psmythe
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

psmythe wrote:I read through the guide a couple of times, not sure I have it but want to try. I'm excited and will probably need practice, but I'll work carefully & post when I'm done.

tks,
psmythe
We have a program we use called Checker, which we use for checking volume and it highlights some technical issues. I ran chapter 12 through Checker and it all looks good technically.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Section 1 is ready for PL.
bbovard

Post by bbovard »

Lynnet wrote:Section 1 is ready for PL.
Hi Lynnet.
I'm new but would love to be a listener. I'm happy to do any part as a PL or all of this book (as a DPL). I can start with Section 1 if you like.

Bethany
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

bbovard wrote:
Hi Lynnet.
I'm new but would love to be a listener. I'm happy to do any part as a PL or all of this book (as a DPL). I can start with Section 1 if you like.

Bethany
Hi Bethany
Thank you for volunteering.
I will say to you the same as I said to psmythe, who volunteered to listen to the other file that has been submitted.

Have you read the guidelines in the wiki? http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/ProofListening_tips_and_quiz One of our admins put together the quiz and even proof listeners who have been doing it a while are finding it valuable.

It is important you listen through headphones (even earbuds will work, but the better the headphones, the better you will be able to detect issues). Click on the "Listen" link and you can listen through your computers media player. If you have Audacity (the recording program most of us use), you can listen through that, which makes it easier (I think) to double check if, for example, you're not quite sure of something.

Post any comments in the thread (e.g. Section 1 PL notes:...)
Any repeats or stumbles, it is very helpful (essential even) to note the time so the reader can find it to correct it, and you or another PLer can find the spot to check the edit was made correctly.
I will update the Magic Window with your comments. If you decide to become a DPL, you will have access to the MW so you can do this yourself.

Lynne
bbovard

Post by bbovard »

Wonderful. Thanks, Lynnet.
Yes, I reviewed the guidelines and took the quiz (which was helpful!). Thanks for the headphones tip - will do.

I'll get started.
Bethany

Lynnet wrote:
bbovard wrote:
Hi Lynnet.

Bethany
Hi Bethany
Thank you for volunteering.
I will say to you the same as I said to psmythe, who volunteered to listen to the other file that has been submitted.

It is important you listen through headphones (even earbuds will work, but the better the headphones, the better you will be able to detect issues). Click on the "Listen" link and you can listen through your computers media player. If you have Audacity (the recording program most of us use), you can listen through that, which makes it easier (I think) to double check if, for example, you're not quite sure of something.

Post any comments in the thread (e.g. Section 1 PL notes:...)

Lynne
psmythe

Post by psmythe »

Really no idea if I'm doing this correctly. Please give me guidance so my PLing is helpful to the project. Thanks!

Flower-Patch Among the Hills by Flora Klickmann (1867 - 1958), Section 1 read by Lynnett, 7:06

0:21 Didn’t say 'Section 1' & did at 7:01
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

psmythe wrote:Really no idea if I'm doing this correctly. Please give me guidance so my PLing is helpful to the project. Thanks!

Flower-Patch Among the Hills by Flora Klickmann (1867 - 1958), Section 1 read by Lynnett, 7:06

0:21 Didn’t say 'Section 1' & did at 7:01
Thank you...

The intros and outros are very important as they credit the authors, give the "Librivox disclaimer" and signify the beginning and ending of a section. Some BCs are very picky about exactly which words are used, others not so much (I'm in the 'not so much' camp). That said...

If you look at the first post, the end of the into says [section title] -- it does not ask for section number.
For the outro, it says [section number].

If there is nothing else you picked up, I will mark this PL OK. Thank you!