COMPLETE[Group]Celebrated Crimes Vol 4 Part 3: by Alexandre Dumas-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Celebrated Crimes Vol 4 Part 3: by Alexandre Dumas (1802 - 1870).
Dumas, with the assistance of several friends, compiled Celebrated Crimes, a collection of essays on famous criminals and crimes from European history. Includes the case of Nisida. ( Michele Eaton )
This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://archive.org/details/celebrated_crimes_3v2_1804_librivox

1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2760
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Please only read from the Google Docs which are in the MW

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================

Genres for the project: Suspense, Espionage, Political & Thrillers
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of Celebrated Crimes Volume 4 Part 3: by Alexandre Dumas. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Celebrated Crimes Volume 4 Part 3: by Alexandre Dumas. Section [number]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Section [number] "
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Celebrated Crimes Volume 4 Part 3: by Alexandre Dumas. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      celebratedcrimesvol4part3_##_dumas_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. celebratedcrimesvol4part3_01_dumas_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
      Artist: Alexandre Dumas
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: Celebrated Crimes Volume 4 Part 3: by Alexandre Dumas

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: alg1001
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by wib66 on August 3rd, 2017, 6:55 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Michele,
You are all set. I have you as DPL. If you aren't, let me know and I will update that.
Cheers!
Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
jasonb

Post by jasonb »

**edited June 8 - because I figure out that this is not the whole works and that the part I wanted will come in a later volume.**
Last edited by jasonb on June 8th, 2017, 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Jason (back) in Canada

20 Years in Canada, 20 years in Panama, now returned to Canada for the next stage of my life
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Over to Readers Wanted.
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
wib66

Post by wib66 »

alg1001 wrote:Hi Michele,
You are all set. I have you as DPL. If you aren't, let me know and I will update that.
Cheers!
Amy
Hi Amy
Thanks yes I will be DPL will get the MW completed thanks
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
Nadfern

Post by Nadfern »

Hi, there. I'd like to offer to read a section but I'm fining the info about the sections confusing because according to the Magic Window there are only a chapter 1 and a chapter 2, each with various sections(parts). I opened the text, and after the section which has 'Nisida' as the tittle, there is a 'Derusa' as the following, but no mention about part I or part II or anything like that. Could someone please tell me the page number of the beginning of any section, and the last page as well? I am happy to read any, so long as I know exactly from where to where. Thank you :-) :)
jasonb

Post by jasonb »

Hi! Since I woke up a few minutes ago and can't seem to get back to sleep at 345am, I will step in and answer. This project has links to the text for each section in the window itself. Instead of reading from the main text link like for most projects, you will open each section from these links in the magic window.

Hope this helps!
Regards,
Jason (back) in Canada

20 Years in Canada, 20 years in Panama, now returned to Canada for the next stage of my life
Nadfern

Post by Nadfern »

Thanks, Jason. It makes perfect sense now! :)
Nadfern

Post by Nadfern »

I'd like to do the first section. :) And possibly more, which I will decide after finishing the first, as this is literally my first recording here (after a few DPL projects)
jasonb

Post by jasonb »

Just a quick note, I went through your previous posts and hadn't come upon any test recording. It is really helpful to do a 1-minute test recording to ensure that your levels are all set correctly so that your full recordings present as best as possible. Thanks for your work as a DPL, especially in the Spanish and Portuguese sections. It's always nice to see a listener transition to a voice - I tried it the other way around, but I do so enjoy recording much more!

Anyways, get that test into the Listeners wanted section and someone will listen to it and make any suggestions so that your full-length recordings sound great!

(as I am not the BC I can't assign any sections, so that is why I can only suggest the 1-minute test for now)
Regards,
Jason (back) in Canada

wib66

Post by wib66 »

Nadfern wrote:I'd like to do the first section. :) And possibly more, which I will decide after finishing the first, as this is literally my first recording here (after a few DPL projects)
Hi Nadfern
I will sign you up to the first section however I see that you have been a member for a while as a PL. However please don't record until you have read the following information and submitted a 1 - minute test(see below) and got the ok to proceed with recording. I also need to know how you would like your name to appear in the catalogue. This can be your real name, your forum name or a pseudonym thanks.

If you wish to try your hand at recording, the place to start is the Newbie Guide to Recording: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording, which tells you how to set up your computer to record.

Please make sure you complete the "1 Minute Test" for review before you start actively recording any chapters for projects. This is NOT an audition, but a way to check to make sure all your technical settings are correct, your volume loud enough, etc. You will find the information for the 1-Minute Test Recording here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test. The instructions also tell you how to upload your test and then post in the Listeners and Editors Wanted forum so someone can give you feedback on it.

There are numerous ways to volunteer here. An important one is proof-listening, which consists of checking someone's recording for errors. If you'd like to give that a try, you can find lots of information here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Guide_for_Proof-listeners
One of our volunteers has created a number of videos that you might find helpful to learn more about the workings of Librivox. You can find a listing of those here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/User:Philchenevert

Also to point out to professional (or aspiring) Voice Over artists, all our recordings are put back into the public domain which means sometimes they are sold on ebay, etc. Have a look at this page which describes our Public Domain policy: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Copyright_and_Public_Domain

We hope you have fun and please, don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions
Michele
susanjhudson

Post by susanjhudson »

Hi there!

I didn't know Dumas wrote true crime stories! This looks fascinating.

I'd like to claim section 7-- Chapter 2 Part 1.

Susan
Nadfern

Post by Nadfern »

Hi, Jason. Thanks for your suggestion. Where can I post a recording test so you can listen (if you're still willing to do so)? Thanks again. Never done that so I don't know where to upload the file...
Nadfern

Post by Nadfern »

Hi again, Jason. I just found some instruction which had been sent to me before I messaged you. Thanks anyway. I'll have a go at recording and hopefully with the instructions, I'll be able to sort it out. If I get lost, I'll ask for help :D
Cheers,

N
Nadfern

Post by Nadfern »

wib66 wrote:
Nadfern wrote:I'd like to do the first section. :) And possibly more, which I will decide after finishing the first, as this is literally my first recording here (after a few DPL projects)
Hi Nadfern
I will sign you up to the first section however I see that you have been a member for a while as a PL. However please don't record until you have read the following information and submitted a 1 - minute test(see below) and got the ok to proceed with recording. I also need to know how you would like your name to appear in the catalogue. This can be your real name, your forum name or a pseudonym thanks.

If you wish to try your hand at recording, the place to start is the Newbie Guide to Recording: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording, which tells you how to set up your computer to record.

Please make sure you complete the "1 Minute Test" for review before you start actively recording any chapters for projects. This is NOT an audition, but a way to check to make sure all your technical settings are correct, your volume loud enough, etc. You will find the information for the 1-Minute Test Recording here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test. The instructions also tell you how to upload your test and then post in the Listeners and Editors Wanted forum so someone can give you feedback on it.

There are numerous ways to volunteer here. An important one is proof-listening, which consists of checking someone's recording for errors. If you'd like to give that a try, you can find lots of information here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Guide_for_Proof-listeners
One of our volunteers has created a number of videos that you might find helpful to learn more about the workings of Librivox. You can find a listing of those here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/User:Philchenevert

Also to point out to professional (or aspiring) Voice Over artists, all our recordings are put back into the public domain which means sometimes they are sold on ebay, etc. Have a look at this page which describes our Public Domain policy: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Copyright_and_Public_Domain

We hope you have fun and please, don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions
Hi, Michele. I am having trouble finding the MC. It says that this project's MC is yy-yyyyy but that does not figure in the drop-down list when I try to upload my 1min test.
Thanks
N