COMPLETE[PLAY] Orra: A Tragedy by Joanna Baillie - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Wow, this might be the fastest-moving project I've ever launched! :-) Thank you guys so much! Only three more principal roles left (along with the stage directions and supporting roles).

(I also took Maurice, btw. I get to be Tomas' clueless flunky... so that should be fun!)
RecordingPerson wrote:Ah what the heck. I'll ruin my 'catching up' and ask to take the role of Urston.

Some of his lines are quite 'verse-y'. Can I get a bit poetic when reading them? I haven't read the whole play yet, so don't know context.
Haha! That's the spirit! :-P

(And feel free to clean up that backlog before recording your lines for this project!)

Thank you so much. I think you'll be an excellent Urston. As for how it should be read... well, Baillie typically writes her plays in two different styles: in verse and in prose. This is written in the former style, so I presume reading Urston's lines as if they were more "poetical" would certainly be appropriate. :-)
leanneyauyau wrote:May I claim Alice? Or any female character you feel would suit my younger voice.
I think that would be lovely! Thank you, Leanne! As for Act I... hmmm. Let me look through the text again and find out.
bluechien wrote:Chuck and/or Sonia,

would it be possible if you don't mind to put up a pronunciation guide for the main characters here? One of the things I hate the idea of most is suddenly switching the pronunciation of a character's name in the middle of the action when someone else says it differently.

Right now I sort of just try to find people who have recorded their parts early and go by their preference but sometimes, pre-recorded files differ in how they say names. It would be soooo nice to have a way to be consistent because, I think it is already somewhat of a challenge to follow a play's action through audio only and it's nice not to make it harder for the listener ...
That's an excellent idea, although I'm not sure if I would have all the answers. I might poke around the "Help" section and see if anyone out there could assist us. Which names were you thinking might be a challenge? I'm thinking Hughobert, Rudigere, and Glottenbal. Anyone else?
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

leanneyauyau wrote:I'm just looking at the script now. I don't see any lines for Alice in Act 1?
Gah! Looks like you're right. Sorry about that. I could've sworn she was in Act I.
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

first one in :) here is Catrina, in a way a very tragic character as well

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_cathrina_1.mp3
Recording time: 1:03 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_cathrina_2.mp3
Recording time: 2:48 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_cathrina_3.mp3
Recording time: 1:23 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_cathrina_4.mp3
Recording time: 4:34 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_cathrina_5.mp3
Recording time: 0:52 min.

Chuck, do your PL duty, and then for the remaining recordings, leave it to me :mrgreen:

Oh and Leanne, great to have you as Alice, our dialogue in Act 2 will be so great together :9:

Tomas, thanks for taking my advice ! :thumbs: You'll be great.

edit: I cannot enter the MW yet :help: TOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDD !

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
RecordingPerson

Post by RecordingPerson »

What are 'Omnes'?
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

RecordingPerson wrote:What are 'Omnes'?

Latin for "all".
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
RecordingPerson

Post by RecordingPerson »

leanneyauyau wrote:
RecordingPerson wrote:What are 'Omnes'?
Latin for "all".
Thank you.
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

ChuckW wrote: That's an excellent idea, although I'm not sure if I would have all the answers. I might poke around the "Help" section and see if anyone out there could assist us. Which names were you thinking might be a challenge? I'm thinking Hughobert, Rudigere, and Glottenbal. Anyone else?
Yes! That would be wonderful. I don't think it matters at all if the pronunciation is the most valid and correct ever thought of, as long as it's reasonable and we can all refer to it!

And maybe Theobald, since the German "t" not "th" here is not so familiar with Americans ... that is, if there are any other Americans .... :hmm:
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Holy crap! You two are fast! Thank you, Sonia and Leanne.

Sonia, I'll PL yours as soon as I get a chance. I have to go to a child's birthday party, so you'll have to wait until I get back later tonight (long after you're asleep, I'm afraid).
bluechien wrote:
ChuckW wrote: That's an excellent idea, although I'm not sure if I would have all the answers. I might poke around the "Help" section and see if anyone out there could assist us. Which names were you thinking might be a challenge? I'm thinking Hughobert, Rudigere, and Glottenbal. Anyone else?
Yes! That would be wonderful. I don't think it matters at all if the pronunciation is the most valid and correct ever thought of, as long as it's reasonable and we can all refer to it!

And maybe Theobald, since the German "t" not "th" here is not so familiar with Americans ... that is, if there are any other Americans .... :hmm:
Good point, although I suspect a few attentive Game of Thrones fans might know how to pronounce it. :-P Unfortunately, some of the names (like the tongue-shattering nonsense of "Hughobert") seem to have existed only in Baillie's imagination! Seriously... all of my Google searches turn up references to this play and little else. But I'll see what I can find out.
PROJECTS
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChuckW wrote:the tongue-shattering nonsense of "Hughobert"
my character actually has to say that name and I spoke it like the English Hugo and Bert. I hope that was ok. I believe Ms Baillie wanted to convey a sort of romanticism with these germanic names ;)

Sonia
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Kitty wrote:
my character actually has to say that name and I spoke it like the English Hugo and Bert. I hope that was ok. I believe Ms Baillie wanted to convey a sort of romanticism with these germanic names ;)

Sonia
This is nice. How would you do the other ones, Sonia? :D
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ah I see the MW works for me now. Thanks Todd :)

guys, I will PL tomorrow, it's after midnight here now. Will do it all with a refreshed ear tomorrow

good night

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

bluechien wrote:And maybe Theobald, since the German "t" not "th" here is not so familiar with Americans ... that is, if there are any other Americans .... :hmm:
My boss is named "Theobald" with "th" and I intend to say it that way so I can amuse him with the secrets this play will reveal about his long lost relative's behavior. Not that I am likely to say my own character name very often except in the cast list....

Thanks, Todd
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

This play is moving so fast! :shock:
Thanks for the files, Nemo! I don't think your character reappears in Act IV, but I'll double-check to make sure. I've been known to be wrong before. I can't wait to hear your rendition of the outlaw's song. :-)
Kitty wrote:

Sonia
That works for me, especially since the name is obviously an invention of the author.

As for Glottenbal... well, that looks like a fictitious name too. What do you guys think? Should the first part of his name rhyme with "bloat" or "blot?"
ToddHW wrote:
bluechien wrote:And maybe Theobald, since the German "t" not "th" here is not so familiar with Americans ... that is, if there are any other Americans .... :hmm:
My boss is named "Theobald" with "th" and I intend to say it that way so I can amuse him with the secrets this play will reveal about his long lost relative's behavior. Not that I am likely to say my own character name very often except in the cast list....

Thanks, Todd
I hope you're doing a pitch-perfect impersonation of your co-worker throughout the entire recording!
PROJECTS