COMPLETE[PLAY] Orra: A Tragedy by Joanna Baillie - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Chuck,

Thought you would enjoy this ... the song in the opening of scene 1, Act III was read for a poetry collection for LV 10 years ago!

http://ia600505.us.archive.org/31/items/shortpoetry_039_librivox/outlawssong_baillie_krs.mp3

Nemo
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

This play is wonderful. Thanks for discovering and BCing it, Chuck. And thanks for DPLing it, Sonia. It's so, so good. Of course I'd never hard of her but everyone who takes a role in this is very fortunate. There aren't any bad ones!
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

bluechien wrote:This play is wonderful. Thanks for discovering and BCing it, Chuck. And thanks for DPLing it, Sonia. It's so, so good. Of course I'd never hard of her but everyone who takes a role in this is very fortunate. There aren't any bad ones!
I'm so glad you like the play! :-) I'll admit, I've become quite taken with Baillie's work, which I hope continues to gain a wider audience.

I've actually been reading through her other plays, and would love to record more of them for Librivox. The biggies are De Monfort (her first critical success), Witchcraft (a precursor to The Crucible, all about the Scottish witch trials), and The Dream (a bizarre, almost Lynchian murder mystery about monks who all have prophetic dreams about a horrible crime), but there is so, so, so much of her stuff we could produce for Librivox. It's... actually quite exciting. :9:
NemoR wrote:Since they are sitting around a fire drinking and it mentions a song, I think I'll go ahead and give it a good hearty drinking song try ...you know, the kind when you are sitting in the pub with your mates! :D

Nemo
Oh, those were the days. I've got a three year old now, so most of my drinking is confined to the house these days. :-P
NemoR wrote:Chuck,

Thought you would enjoy this ... the song in the opening of scene 1, Act III was read for a poetry collection for LV 10 years ago!

http://ia600505.us.archive.org/31/items/shortpoetry_039_librivox/outlawssong_baillie_krs.mp3

Nemo
Whaaaaaaaaaaat? How bizarre! Of all the things from Baillie to record, I'm shocked to see that this one made the cut!
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Since Sonia wants to see me do a villain again (I think this would only be my second villainous role---I've tended to do romantic leads more often than not :? ), I will request Rudigere. Pronounced 'Rud-ih-jeer' or 'Rud-i-jair' (in the French way) or 'Rud-i-grrr' or 'Rud-i-gere' (like Richard Gere)? Or is it 'Rood' instead of 'Rud'? If only Miss Baillie included pronunciation guides, LOL. :lol:
Tomas Peter
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

WiltedScribe wrote:Since Sonia wants to see me do a villain again (I think this would only be my second villainous role---I've tended to do romantic leads more often than not :? ), I will request Rudigere. Pronounced 'Rud-ih-jeer' or 'Rud-i-jair' (in the French way) or 'Rud-i-grrr' or 'Rud-i-gere' (like Richard Gere)? Or is it 'Rood' instead of 'Rud'? If only Miss Baillie included pronunciation guides, LOL. :lol:
I think you made a wise choice. Rudigere is probably the best role in the play, next to Orra. :wink:

As for the pronunciation... guh... I have no idea. This is the dilemma of a Scottish author writing about medieval Switzerland. :hmm: Which pronunciation sounds right to you? We could just pick one that feels right and list it in the MW as the "official" pronunciation.
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

May I play Theobald?

Thanks, Todd
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

ToddHW wrote:May I play Theobald?

Thanks, Todd
That would be perfect! :-) Thank you so much!
PROJECTS
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

An FYI: I'll probably wind up taking Maurice, unless we can't find anyone else to read the stage directions... in which case, I'll take those.

So anyway... yeah. We're in the Dramatic Works section. Looking forward to seeing how the cast list fills out. :-)
PROJECTS
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

WiltedScribe wrote:Since Sonia wants to see me do a villain again (I think this would only be my second villainous role---I've tended to do romantic leads more often than not :? ), I will request Rudigere. Pronounced 'Rud-ih-jeer' or 'Rud-i-jair' (in the French way) or 'Rud-i-grrr' or 'Rud-i-gere' (like Richard Gere)? Or is it 'Rood' instead of 'Rud'? If only Miss Baillie included pronunciation guides, LOL. :lol:
If I may chip in here...

It seems that Rudigere is a version of the German name "Rüdiger" and as such, I would go for "Rud-i-grr" as it seems to approximate the sound most closely.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yay :9:
and I agree with Ava about pronunciation. And for purely dramatic reasons, saying ROOD is very fitting to show his rude character :mrgreen:

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Chuck and/or Sonia,

would it be possible if you don't mind to put up a pronunciation guide for the main characters here? One of the things I hate the idea of most is suddenly switching the pronunciation of a character's name in the middle of the action when someone else says it differently.

Right now I sort of just try to find people who have recorded their parts early and go by their preference but sometimes, pre-recorded files differ in how they say names. It would be soooo nice to have a way to be consistent because, I think it is already somewhat of a challenge to follow a play's action through audio only and it's nice not to make it harder for the listener ...
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
RecordingPerson

Post by RecordingPerson »

Post made so that this thread will show up in 'view your posts'. I'm two things away from being fully caught up on all my commitments, and I wanted to go 'clear' before I sign up for new things. I want to do a bit more drama among the next batch of recordings as I've perhaps done a bit too much poetry recently. (Not that I have anything against poetry :) )
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

May I claim Alice? Or any female character you feel would suit my younger voice.
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
RecordingPerson

Post by RecordingPerson »

Ah what the heck. I'll ruin my 'catching up' and ask to take the role of Urston.

Some of his lines are quite 'verse-y'. Can I get a bit poetic when reading them? I haven't read the whole play yet, so don't know context.
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

I'm just looking at the script now. I don't see any lines for Alice in Act 1?
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page