COMPLETE Sorcery Club, O'Donnell-icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
maxfarce

Post by maxfarce »

The Sorcery Club by Elliott O'Donnell (1872 - 1965).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-sorcery-club-by-elliott-odonnell/
Leon Hamar and his friends were out-of-work and starving in San Francisco after the firm they worked for went out of business. Leon acquired a strange book and some cash in a trade for his watch-chain, one of his last posessions. He hated books and had no intention of reading the thing, but of course did, and discovered that it told the tale of Atlantis and the society of sorcerers who inhabited it. It not only told the story, but also gave specific instructions for initiation into the black arts. The friends decided they had little to lose and perhaps much to gain, even survival, if they underwent the tests and initiation into the ancient Atlantean black arts. What followed was not, perhaps, what they expected. ( Don W. Jenkins)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14317
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Project Code: yeflrD6f
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Elliott O'Donnell) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliott_O'Donnell
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 29
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    • Original publication date (if known): 1912
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

============================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Horror & Supernatural Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: fantasy, San Francisco, supernatural, Atlantis, sorcery

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Sorcery Club. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Sorcery Club, by Elliott O'Donnell. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Sorcery Club by Elliott O'Donnell. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Sorcery Club, by Elliott O'Donnell. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename sorceryclub_##_odonnell_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. sorceryclub_01_odonnell_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Elliott O'Donnell
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: The Sorcery Club

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: icequeen
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
maxfarce

Post by maxfarce »

Dawn Larsen, Bead Crazy Dawn, will be the DPL for this project.

Thanks,
Don
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Hi Don,

I can MC this one for you! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, your MW is ready, and Dawn is in as DPL. Have fun!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Bead Krazy Dawn

Post by Bead Krazy Dawn »

Woo hoo here I am.

:thumbs:
You can't talk yourself out of what you behaved yourself into. Stephen Covey
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Moving on to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
maxfarce

Post by maxfarce »

OOOPS!

I must have gotten distracted halfway through.

Section 01:
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/sorceryclub_01_odonnell_128kb.mp3

Section 02:
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/sorceryclub_02_odonnell_128kb.mp3

Chapter 02 is a little tedious due to all his "footnotes," but that should stop, I hope. Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? (The Shadow knows! Ha, Ha, Ha!) I don't think this sorcery is going to come to any good, any more than in Brood of the Witch Queen.

Don
Bead Krazy Dawn

Yippee got the notice. Dawn :clap:
Bead Krazy Dawn

Hey Don, think you forgot to edit before you uploaded. Not as loud as usual and four missed edits in three minutes. Will wait if that's okay with you, so I can listen in order.

My God son graduated from high school today. Valedictorian with two others. Is off to college in the fall to study Atmospheric Sciences in North Dakota. He loves weather and started his first weather website when he was six or seven.

Dawn :clap:
maxfarce

Post by maxfarce »

Geez whilikers! What's wrong with me. Blame age. That must be it. I'll fix it and try again.

Don :oops:
maxfarce

Post by maxfarce »

Section 01:
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/sorceryclub_01_odonnell_128kb.mp3

Section 02:
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/sorceryclub_02_odonnell_128kb.mp3

Try it again. Again, sorry about the tedium of O'Donnell's footnotes in that part of Section 02. The trouble is, he was genuinely interested in this stuff in real life, so he thinks readers of a fictional story will be interested, too. Only include what is essential to the story.

Don :wink:
Bead Krazy Dawn

Sections 1 and 2 are PL Okay. :clap:

Leon should do well with the sorcery. He's already greedy and selfish and lies. If my friends were hungry I would see that they got food even if I was nearly broke. Have in the past. Now he will look them up because he needs their help.

Strange to hear witchcraft and sorcery is illegal and can send a publisher to prison. Now you can get books readily available at any book store. The Salem witch trials were not so long ago I guess. Europe must be about on par with us I imagine.

I laughed about the priests becoming more popular than the spirits themselves. Yep. I see on tv the preachers with big stages. They do giant productions. People go there less for God and more for the entertainment and the feel good message for the week.

Dawn :9:
maxfarce

Post by maxfarce »

Chapter 03:
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/sorceryclub_03_odonnell_128kb.mp3

Chapter 04:
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/sorceryclub_04_odonnell_128kb.mp3

Ugh! We had a cat once that got poisoned and made it home to die horribly on the floor of my closet. People and coyotes: good reasons to keep your cats indoors. I find it a little ironic that Kelson and Curtis were already practicing their lying when they told Hamar they hadn't stolen anything before. I'm a little bemused by O'Donnell's geography of San Francisco. San Francisco proper is not a very big place, confined as it is by the end of the peninsula it sits on. First of all, as far as I can tell, there is no 115th St., nor is there a 126th St. If there were they would be far down the peninsula in another city. There would certainly be no way Hamar could see something on Van Ness, which is in the middle of town. And there would be little chance of walking that far. Anyway, the sorcery proceeds apace in this fantasy SF.

Don :)
Bead Krazy Dawn

Sections 3 and 4 are PL OKAY. :clap:

I would not know SF at all. I have read some fiction that took place in Minneapolis. The author lived there so everything was correct. It's great fun to read books that take place somewhere you know well.
:9:
maxfarce

Post by maxfarce »

Chapter 05:
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/sorceryclub_05_odonnell_128kb.mp3

Chapter 06:
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/sorceryclub_06_odonnell_128kb.mp3

Call the SPCA, someone! Shades of the Garden of Eden, with the tree and fruit. Our lisping power of darkness loses me a little bit when he uses phrases like "and so on," and "etc." Sounds like the King of Siam.

My oldest son's girlfriend works for the San Francisco SPCA facilitating adoptions. There has been an influx of dogs rescued from the illegal meat trade in Korea and Thailand that have been flown to Humane Societies and SPCA, as well as other shelters. I don't know who is funding the rescues, but I say, good on 'em. I keep trying to convince my wife we need to adopt a dog, but no go yet. She'd probably go for a papillon, but I think it would have to be bigger than my cat, who weighs about 20 pounds.

Don :?