Try this next time you have word counts to do

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Also, this post, above, is very helpful, particularly the thread she linked to. Here is the direct link to the app for Gutenberg texts mentioned: https://karikarito.com/wordcount
knotyouraveragejo wrote:Here are a couple of alternate options for doing word counts.

I use an add-in for Firefox called Word Count
that counts the words in whatever text you have highlighted. For Gutenberg texts, another of our members has written an online app that will do the entire book for you, as long as there are clearly labelled chapters. See this thread

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=55795

Here is the Word Count tool for Firefox.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/word-count-tool/

It will tell you it isn't compatible with the latest versions of Firefox, but it still works. Right click and pick WordCount from the menu. It's just not as easy to see the word count as it used to be without the status bar.
Also, (and maybe Jo could clarify), she said she was able to get the Word Count tool working in Firefox, but I wasn't even able to install it.

Sorry if this seems like dumping. It's just that most of the methods described on the Word Count wiki page are no longer viable, and I think it'd be great for new BC's (like me) to have access to some good tools all in one place.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yeah, the word count tool which used to work - the add-on - no longer does at all. It was my go-to add-on.

I'll work on this later tonight, unless someone else gets to it before I do.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, this is done.

- Changed the script URLs to the mirror site, which are still extant
- Changed the bookmark script to indicate it's for all browsers (there was a better bookmark word count script on the wiki page already; the one in the most recent posts gets a nosebleed when you haven't selected any text, so I've left the old one in there.)
- Added the Gutenberg text script/webpage with a short explanation
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

mightyfelix wrote:Also, this post, above, is very helpful, particularly the thread she linked to. Here is the direct link to the app for Gutenberg texts mentioned: https://karikarito.com/wordcount
knotyouraveragejo wrote:Here are a couple of alternate options for doing word counts.

I use an add-in for Firefox called Word Count
that counts the words in whatever text you have highlighted. For Gutenberg texts, another of our members has written an online app that will do the entire book for you, as long as there are clearly labelled chapters. See this thread

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=55795

Here is the Word Count tool for Firefox.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/word-count-tool/

It will tell you it isn't compatible with the latest versions of Firefox, but it still works. Right click and pick WordCount from the menu. It's just not as easy to see the word count as it used to be without the status bar.
Also, (and maybe Jo could clarify), she said she was able to get the Word Count tool working in Firefox, but I wasn't even able to install it.
I've had it installed all along from a much older version of firefox and it continues to work. All I do is select some text, then right click in the selection and the Word Count add-in is at the bottom of the pop up menu - you choose it to get the results of the word count (Shift-Alt-C also brings up the Word Count results without going through the menu).
Jo
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Jo - it isn't able to be installed on the last several versions of Firefox (and stopped working for me a couple versions ago), so there isn't much use having it in the wiki. I've removed it.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I just installed it on my laptop which has the latest Firefox 53.0.3 (32 bit) installed, and the word count addin still works fine as I've described above. Are you using Firefox 64 bit by any chance? I think a lot of plugins no longer work in the 64 bit version.
Jo
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

TriciaG wrote:OK, this is done.

- Changed the script URLs to the mirror site, which are still extant
- Changed the bookmark script to indicate it's for all browsers (there was a better bookmark word count script on the wiki page already; the one in the most recent posts gets a nosebleed when you haven't selected any text, so I've left the old one in there.)
- Added the Gutenberg text script/webpage with a short explanation
Wonderful, thank you!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

knotyouraveragejo wrote:I just installed it on my laptop which has the latest Firefox 53.0.3 (32 bit) installed, and the word count addin still works fine as I've described above. Are you using Firefox 64 bit by any chance? I think a lot of plugins no longer work in the 64 bit version.
I have Firefox 53.0.3, the latest one, but I don't know how to find out if it's 32 or 64 bit. I'm not really worried about that Word Count tool anymore, though, because there are multiple others to choose from. Thanks anyway!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Ah - yes, I have 64 bit.