COMPLETE Dialogues of the Dead by G Lyttleton -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RecordingPerson

Post by RecordingPerson »

Can I please have Cardinal Wolsey from Dialogue XXI?

For all the random reasons to claim him, he died about one mile from where I am now, and was supposedly buried there.

Who edits the dialogues? EDIT: Ah, 'one of the readers must edit.' I'd like to edit one of the dialogues I'm involved in.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you :thumbs:
Carolin
RecordingPerson

Shall I pronounce Ximenes as HowJSay suggests? Or is the name pronounced differently?
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

howjsay is fine. as long as you are consistent in your pronunciation pretty much everything is fine :) thank you!
Carolin
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Here is Plato fo 03 and 30.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/dialoguesofthedead_30_lyttleton_plato.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/dialoguesofthedead_03_plato.mp3

I put Lyttleton in the file name for 30 to indicate that it has the intro and outro ready for another part to be added - 03 is just Plato to go into the already recorded Fenelon part.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

RecordingPerson wrote:Who edits the dialogues? EDIT: Ah, 'one of the readers must edit.' I'd like to edit one of the dialogues I'm involved in.
I recorded Plato in 03 for you to edit with your Fenelon. (Let me know if you have any problems.)

Thanks, Todd
RecordingPerson

ToddHW wrote:
RecordingPerson wrote:Who edits the dialogues? EDIT: Ah, 'one of the readers must edit.' I'd like to edit one of the dialogues I'm involved in.
I recorded Plato in 03 for you to edit with your Fenelon. (Let me know if you have any problems.)

Thanks, Todd
I'll work from the MP3. However, if there was anyway of getting a lossless version of the file ...
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

RecordingPerson wrote:
ToddHW wrote:

Thanks, Todd
I'll work from the MP3. However, if there was anyway of getting a lossless version of the file ...
I use mp3s from the readers in all the plays I assemble. I think you need well over a dozen generations of mp3 copies before you'll be able to detect any actual difference.

Thanks, Todd
RecordingPerson

ToddHW wrote: I use mp3s from the readers in all the plays I assemble. I think you need well over a dozen generations of mp3 copies before you'll be able to detect any actual difference.

Thanks, Todd
OK. BTW: 'raise' sounds like 'rise' in: ' It will raise in you more love than was felt by Narcissus, when he contemplated the beauty of his own face in the unruffled spring. '. Our pronunciation of 'Telemachus' is different. 'not long hold the rank of the first nation in Europe.' The second 'the' is missing. It doesn't change the meaning nor flow of the sentences. (My personal inclination would be to leave all of these given that this is prose, not poetry, but what is SOP here?)

EDIT: Ah, given later 'rising', 'rise' as previous is your accent, not a verbal typo. 'private interest to public' instead of 'private interest to the public'. Ditto. No meaning change. Leave?

'desire for wealth' instead of 'desire of wealth'. Again, no meaning change.

EDIT: Here's a draft. I haven't edited anything this large in audacity, though I have a fair bit of experience in other audio software. Perhaps I put too aggressive a gate on your voice, but then I couldn't on mine because of the reverb. So, our voices sound to be in entirely different spaces. But, according to the FAQ, Librivox isn't aiming at full professional quality. So, would this be OK? I must admit that my personal motivation is to accept what I've done so far, and apply lessons to future recordings rather than to keep on going over and over the same thing.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/dialoguesofthedead_03_lyttelton_128kb.mp3 9m55s
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you all :D
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you recordingperson for checking so thoroughly. Small things like those you noted are almost always ok with librivox :) dave will give us feedback on the assembled dialogue shortly. Thank you!
Carolin
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

3 PL OK.

The small word substitutions do not, as noted, affect the meanings of the prose and rerecording of them would produce sound differences that would be distracting.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you dave :D
Carolin
RecordingPerson

Can I volunteer to edit another one. In hindsight, I should have the experience and knowledge to do a better job than I did on 3. Rather than repeat 3, I'd like to edit another dialogue.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you very much for offering! at this moment, there isnt one that is ready for editing, but im sure we will have one sometime soon. if you arent in a hurry, we could get back to you whenever we have another dialogue ready to be asssembled :)
Carolin