A question about gutenberg.ca

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
dg73

Post by dg73 »

We seem to use Gutenberg.org for a primary source. I am in the USA and I wonder what difference would it make to use items from Gutenberg.ca? I notice for example they have a number of Cordwainer Smith short stories that aren't on Gutenberg.org. Is there that big a copyright difference between the two?

Thanks much.
Dan Gurzynski
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Yes, there is a difference. Most of the other gutenberg offshoots (there are several) use the copyright rules of their own countries to hold the items which are NOT eligible to be held at the main (USA) gutenberg site. So although I'm in Australia and I read at gutenberg.au most of what is on there is not recordable for LV. :(

So, short version, Librivox will mostly use material from the main gutenberg site, unless it is one of the unusual situations where the book is held by another gutenberg site but is still PD in the USA. (Librivox is based in the USA, so uses those copyright rules. If you are not, Legamus is the European/Aussie/Canadian Life+70 place for recording audiobooks!)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Canada rules are death of author plus 50 years - which is quite different from books published 1922 or earlier .
It means that if an author died in 1966 all his books published are PD wheras in the USA only those published 1922 or earlier can be used on LV - which is over 40 years of books
This is a very roough guide to PD rules - all laws have all these bits added on and exceptions .

Anne