Post by Peter Why »

Here are a couple of recent posts about getting new microphones:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=64263

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=64576

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

SkylerC wrote:I think the mic must be it. I am ashamed to say I have been using a very low quality headset, and I just did another test using only my computer (with no recording device) and the sound is gone. I guess I'll need to go pick up something else. Is there a thread or page that has mic suggestions?
Thank you!
It would be useful to know about how much you are willing to spend.

The trouble with USB mic's is that as tovarisch has said, they have to run on 5 volts and little current. A good mic needs a power supply of 48 volts (preferably) although some can run as low as 24V or even 12V.

Having a better mic will unfortunately cost more, and you will need something to accept the mic and feed into the computer. If it is a PC you could have a cheap sound-card slotted into one of the empty slots in the computer, but this needs the case to be opened up. Easy if you know how but daunting if not used to electronics. (Switch off and unplug before anyone attempts to do this - only idiots like me do it when still powered up - mostly there are only 12 volts but the mains power supply unit on a PC has mains voltage going in - at high current).

You can of course get a digital recorder and a better mic to match up (or some like Zoom have mic's built in). Then of course you have to have a way of getting the memory card files into the computer, or use a lead such as Thunderbolt or Firewire.

It would be a pity if you are unable to record as you seem to have a good clear voice and may make a very good reader.

Someone may have a recommendation for a USB mic that may work, to replace yours, but then you may be taking a risk if it does not work well. (Unless you get it on a *trial and return* if no good, basis).

EDIT: I have just remembered that I use a webcam on my Mac Mini computer which works via USB, and the sound is not bad. This is a £60 webcam with sound. So you should be able to get a USB mic for a lot less than that, but one that has reasonable quality.

Also, check with the computer that you have the sound turned up enough. You can usually go into "audio preferences" or something like that and adjust a slider for volume - plus or minus. I'm on a mac now and forget how to do it on a PC, but Windows Op system used to have this adjustment available.
SkylerC

Post by SkylerC »

I will check those out. Thank you both!
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Hi. After getting a new latop I re-downloaded Audacity, but I picked the Polish interface version and now feel a bit lost without the familiar feature names. If I download a version with the English interface will it simply replace the current one or will I have to move the files between the two versions? Either I have forgotten more things than I thought during those several months without recording or do some of the features really work differently in the 2.1 version? :hmm:

EDIT: OK, one problem solved. I downloaded an upload and changed the language. Now to explore.

EDIT2: With the language version changed, I immediately found the right feature :roll:
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

This is probably a really basic problem as I'm a newbie, but I am trying to re-record a paragraph that was accidentally cut out (it's gone, not on clipboard or anything) when previously editing a file. I also have to re-record another snippet where I used a wrong word.

I have watched Phil C's awesome tutorial video on editing and have followed it successfully for cutting out spots where I messed up and started over, no problem. I'm trying to do what he does to find the spot where the new bit will be inserted and then open a new track and record, but when I go to record, the playback on the first track keeps playing audibly. I've been troubleshooting myself, making sure that the new window is the active one, and that I have actually stopped playback, not just paused it, and that the microphone is active. I can't figure out what else to try and I'm getting really frustrated! Any help, please?

Thanks!
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

ColleenMc wrote:This is probably a really basic problem as I'm a newbie, but I am trying to re-record a paragraph that was accidentally cut out (it's gone, not on clipboard or anything) when previously editing a file. I also have to re-record another snippet where I used a wrong word.

I have watched Phil C's awesome tutorial video on editing and have followed it successfully for cutting out spots where I messed up and started over, no problem. I'm trying to do what he does to find the spot where the new bit will be inserted and then open a new track and record, but when I go to record, the playback on the first track keeps playing audibly. I've been troubleshooting myself, making sure that the new window is the active one, and that I have actually stopped playback, not just paused it, and that the microphone is active. I can't figure out what else to try and I'm getting really frustrated! Any help, please?

Thanks!
Hey, thanks for the compliment! Just copy the new section, paste it into your original track at the spot where you want to replace the word, then delete the entire track with the new word/sentence.
I always just click the little x in the upper right hand corner of the track to get rid of it. It is impossible to hear both things and make decisions, I agree!

also youcan click 'solo' but that is too much work for me. :D

EDIT: whoops, that was not your problem. Go to EDIT> PREFERENCES (way at the bottom> RECORDING and un check the box that says overdub. Dat's it!
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Thanks Phil! That solved it for me - it was actually the combo of unchecking overdub and solo/mute to figure out which track I was trying to play!
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

ColleenMc wrote:Thanks Phil! That solved it for me - it was actually the combo of unchecking overdub and solo/mute to figure out which track I was trying to play!
Great Colleen. We want you to talk to that microphone and record lots of things for LV.
By the way, did any of the videos you watched seem dated? old? or anything like that? I somehow feel they need to be freshened up a bit but am not sure. Image
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Can I make another suggestion ? ALWAYS save before you start editing a file :D . Preferably often - just export a flac file is an easy way, nothing you do in Audacity after will change it. call them flac1flac2 etc as you go , delete them when you are happy with your finished editing.

Anne
Alondra

Post by Alondra »

Help please.,

I have done something to the track I was editing, the waveform has got really compressed, the numbers on the right read normally. Basically the track is all blue, any idea what I have done and more importantly how I fix it. Thanks I would send a screen shot but can't figure that one out either.

Sandra
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I don't know. To do a screen shot in Windows, go to your Stat menu and search for "snipping tool". Drag your mouse to cover the area you want to save, then save that shot. You can't upload an image directly to the uploader - you can either zip it, or, if you're not sure of that, email me the image and I'll post it for you. :)

ta underscore mosquito at yahoo dot com
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Have you tried Ctrl-Z to UNDO what was done last? You can always REDO what's undone by pressing Ctrl-Y...
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
DHsieh

Post by DHsieh »

i have downloaded a lame library.pkg on my mac
but somehow i cannot get it installed
what can i do :cry:
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

A brief search on our forums gets me this link: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/installing_and_updating_audacity_on_mac_os_x.html#maclame

Have you see it? Can you follow those steps? I don't have a Mac to verify, sorry...
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Just a minor query; I've always found it mildly irritating when Audacity selects the whole of a recording when I accidentally hold the mouse down too long, or double-tap it, when I'm editing. I know that this is a "feature", but is is possible to switch it off?

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger