[COMPLETE] How to Camp Out by J.M.Gould - smijen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
smijen

Post by smijen »

How to Camp Out by John M. Gould (1839 - 1930).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/how-to-camp-out-by-john-mead-gould/
Advice on camp gear, clothing, cooking, hiking, and other topics. Much of the book remains good and sensible advice today, but modern readers may be amused by Maj. Gould's few remarks on ladies, who "must be cared for more tenderly than men." ( Sarah Jennings)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/17575
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of How to Camp Out. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "How to Camp Out, by John M. Gould. Chapter [number], [chapter title]."

END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Chapter [number]."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of How to Camp Out, by John M. Gould."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename howtocampout_##_gould_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. howtocampout_01_gould_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: John Mead Gould
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: How to Camp Out

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: smijen
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below.
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.
linny

Post by linny »

Hello!
Preface is PL OK. I'll be back for more as I have time. :)
smijen

Post by smijen »

Thanks, Linny! I didn't put you in as DPL, but I can, if you want access to the MW. Just let me know.
linny

Post by linny »

I can’t really take on another DPL project but I will keep an eye on your progress and help out when I can.

Please note the initial post should be updated. You are not using the subsequent section intro and the author’s name has been shortened to John M Gould.

Chapter 1
You clip on the following words. Give a listen and see if you want to modify or let it go. The duration of the distortion isn’t long enough to mandate redoing it if you don’t want to.

2:05 Some railroads will not check barrels, bags, or bundles, nor take them on passenger trains.
6:03 Half-barrel

Chapters 2 and 3 are both PL OK.

Chapters 4 and 5 you used the Author’s full middle name in the introduction. I don’t think it matters but wanted you to know. Other than this note they are both PL OK!

This text brought a couple of giggles. Thank you! I especially like the one camper designated as “worthless”. :wink:
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

Can I PL sections 1-5?
Cheryls
linny

Post by linny »

I just PLed them but Sarah is looking for a DPL for the remainder of the chapters if you are interested.
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

I have too many commitments right now. Just had some open time right now - I will look back if other projects are slow. Thank you.
Cheryls
smijen

Post by smijen »

Thanks, Cheryl and Linny, for stopping by!

Linny, thanks for the PL. I've fixed chapters 4 and 5. If you have time for a quick spot check, I'd appreciate it, but no worries if you don't. I will have to do the pick-ups for chapter 1 the next time I record. (Hopefully that will be soon, but things are pretty slow moving here!)
linny

Post by linny »

Chapters 4 and 5 are both spot check PL OK.

Enjoy your Summer!
smijen

Post by smijen »

Thanks, Linny!
smijen

Post by smijen »

Chapter 1 is ready for a spot check if anyone has a moment.
https://librivox.org/uploads/smijen/howtocampout_01_gould_128kb.mp3
8:03
smijen

Post by smijen »

smijen

Post by smijen »

linny

Post by linny »

Section 1 is spot check PL OK :thumbs:

Chapters 6 and 7 are both PL OK.

While I have to admit that camping is not something I consider fun (biting bugs LOVE me) I'm certainly not a fan of being told it's too difficult for me because I'm not a man. ggrrrr. We've come a long way in a short time. :)
smijen

Post by smijen »

Yes, I think this one is my favourite quotes so far: "There are few mountains that it is advisable for ladies to try to climb."
:twisted:

Thanks for the PL!