[Complete]The Book of the Dead by E. A. Wallis Budge-dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
pjcsaville

Post by pjcsaville »

The Book of the Dead by E. A. Wallis Budge (1857 - 1934).

Project abandoned June 23 2017 by request from the soloist. Project adopted 31 Jan 2018.

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-book-of-the-dead-by-e-a-wallis-budge/
The Book of the Dead, or the Book of Coming Forth by Day, is an Ancient Egyptian funerary text consisting of spells to protect the soul on its journey to Duat, or Afterlife. It is based on the Papyrus of Ani, a manuscript depicting the journey of a noble Egyptian man on his journey to everlasting life. (pjcsaville)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/TheEgyptianBookOfTheDead
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Culture & Heritage; Classics (Antiquity); *Non-fiction/History

Keywords that describe the book: mythology, egypt, Ancient Egypt, ancient religion, the egyptian book of the dead, spells

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Egyptian Book of the Dead. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Egyptian Book of the Dead, by E. A. Wallis Budge. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Egyptian Book of the Dead by E. A. Wallis Budge. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Egyptian Book of the Dead, by E. A. Wallis Budge. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename bookofthedead_##_budge_128kb.mp3 [/b](all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. bookofthedead_01_budge_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      Please use your BC/DPL login.
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kdlolso21
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by pjcsaville on May 26th, 2017, 5:10 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Interesting project! Just a comment from my quick skim read of the material - I would suggest NOT making each "chapter" of the book a single section, as some of them are very short. Chapter 143 for example is a single paragraph, and Chapter 139 is simply a note that there is no Chapter 139!

There are a couple of ways you can do this - if you are reading a solo you can simply record until you've got about 30mins of material and then call that a "section" - as long as the numbers of the files in the catalogue are consecutive in the end that's fine. In a solo you have more liberty than in a group project where all the files need to be numbered in advance. Your final project would then look like this:

Section 1: Introduction
Section 2: Chapters 1-5.
Section 3: Chapters 6-7.
Section 4: Chapters 8-18.

(The lengths can vary, it's totally up to you, but from a listener's POV it's more convenient to listen to longer sections than to listen to the LV disclaimer every 5 mins. A book of short stories is a bit different, as I expect people to dip in and out, but in a book like this I think people will more likely listen from start to finish.)

Alternatively, if you've read the material ahead and are familiar enough with it to do so, you can divide and number the chapters ahead of time, or take a "best guess" based on page numbers - this is how I prepare group projects.

What you probably shouldn't do (it gets messy) is to make almost all of the chapters individual sections and only skip a few. Then it looks like you've made a mistake. So for example if all the chapters are individuals but Chapter 89 appears as a footnote after Chapter 88, then you will have all the subsequent Sections from 89 onwards being one number off, like this:

Section 88: Chapters 88 and 89.
Section 89: Chapter 90
Section 90: Chapter 91.

Perhaps you've already thought of all this, but I thought it was better to mention it before you start, because it can be a bit discouraging to get half-way into a long solo and find you wish you'd set it up differently at the start! Ask me how I know... ;)

EDIT: If you want a DPL (and I think you do unless you have someone already lined up) then if you put the tilde ~ in front of your SOLO marking, then potential listeners will know. I think you won't have any trouble - it looks like an interesting book! I'm all full up at the moment with my own projects or I'd do it myself!
pjcsaville

Post by pjcsaville »

Alright! I fixed everything!
Now just waiting for a MC :D
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

I can MC this, I'll be back in a bit with a magic window
Kathrine
pjcsaville

Post by pjcsaville »

Thank you so much!!
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Ok, here is a magic window ready to populate :) I have some info and some questions

Here are instructions for how to log into the MW for the first time:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs

And here are instructions for BCs
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ. Mainly, your BC "job" consists of putting the links to your recordings into the MW, putting the time in the "notes" column and changing the status to "Ready for PL." (It is entirely up to you whether you read the BC instructions ;) ). Oh, yes, and when you populate the MW (the titles column), you have to hit enter for it to save :)

You can add sections yourself, and if you need any deleted, I can do that.

I shortened the filename for you (if you feel strongly about it we can change back).

You don't have to fill in the ID3 tags on the recordings, it happens automatically when I catalog at the end.

It looks like the scan of the book has the title as just The Book of the Dead (not The Egyptian Book of the Dead). When I google the titles, both seem to be in some use. I am inclined to enter it as The Book of the Dead, since that is what it looks like in the version you are reading from. Thoughts?

Did you write the summary yourself? :) I'm just asking because we need to be sure it is in the public domain.

Ok, that is all I can think of right now. Just holler if you have questions!

ETA:
You can tweak the intro/outro to use "section" instead of "chapter," if that makes more sense for this project.
Kathrine
pjcsaville

Post by pjcsaville »

The Book of the Dead is fine.

Yes, I wrote the summary myself. Should I have used the summary on the book instead?
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Ok, good, I'll change it to just The Book etc.

Nono, it is great that you wrote the summary yourself. :thumbs: It would be fine to use a blurb or something from the introduction of a public domain book. I just have to ask, because it is not ok to take a summary from for instance *blanking on what things are called* goodreads or something (because that is not in the public domain).
Kathrine
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Let's head over to Going Solo :thumbs:
Kathrine
pjcsaville

Post by pjcsaville »

Preface
14:40
https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/bookofthedead_00_budge_128kb.mp3

This is probably the driest reading I've done yet lol
I'm still trying to figure out why I can't get into the MW.
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Great, MW updated.

Did you try different browsers? I just saw somebody else who had trouble logging in, but managed with another browser :)

I'll post an "ad," looking for a DPL.
Kathrine
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Would enjoy being dpl.
DaveC
pjcsaville

Post by pjcsaville »

Thank you Dave!!
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

0 PL OK.

I will update the MW once I'm added to the project.
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Welcome, Dave! I'm adding you now :thumbs:
Kathrine