[COMPLETE] The Voyage of the Beagle - Charles Darwin - NF/ks

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
not.a.moose

Post by not.a.moose »

This project is now complete. All associated files can be found on the catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-voyage-of-the-beagle-by-charles-darwin/

The Voyage of The Beagle by Charles Darwin.

Click here to be notified by email when this book is complete!

NEW CLAIMS: If I do not hear from you within a month, your sections will be orphaned!
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here

To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Updated target completion date of this project: June 30th, 2008 – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/944
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    A word count for each section has been included for your benefit.
    Forum discussions have shown that people read on average 130-190 words per minute.
    Per 4000 words, this comes to about 22 to 30 minutes of reading time.

(Admin link)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number], Part [number] of The Voyage of The Beagle. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "The Voyage of The Beagle, by Charles Darwin. Chapter [number], Part [number] - [Chapter Title]"
    • At the beginning of each chapter (not each recording!), please read the Chapter Subheadings after the Title.
    • - Information regarding footnotes -
      Please read them at the end of the sentences in which the footnote references appear.
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of Chapter [number], Part [number]"
      If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Voyage of The Beagle by Charles Darwin."

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:

Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some background noise, you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as:
    128 kbps MP3
    voyageofthebeagle_##-*_darwin.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the chapter number and * is the part number. (e.g. voyageofthebeagle_01-1_darwin.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ##-* - [Chapter Title]
    Artist: Charles Darwin
    Album: The Voyage of the Beagle

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ks - gypsygirl
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
    • Your name/pseudonym as you want to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and your website URL if you like. These are only necessary if this is your first LibriVox recording.
    • The file size of your .mp3 file and if possible the duration (xx:xx:xx).
I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
  • your name/pseudonym as you want to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and your website URL if you like. These are only necessary if this is your first LibriVox recording.
  • the file size of your .mp3 file/duration of the recording.
[/list]

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :D

Scott
Last edited by not.a.moose on June 26th, 2007, 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

I'll MC this for you, Scott. Off now to set up the magic box.
Karen S.
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

OK, the MB is up. As you seem to be breaking the chapters up, I'll leave you to put in the chapter titles as you prefer.
Karen S.
not.a.moose

Post by not.a.moose »

gypsygirl wrote:I'll MC this for you, Scott. Off now to set up the magic box.
Whoo hoo!!! I got Karen!!! How sweet life can be!

This will probably end up and a dual-BC project. It was suggested by Roger (rtperson) but he wanted a bit of guidance through the process. Hence, my presence!

Ciao bella!
Scott
[size=75]He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. - Douglas Adams[/size]
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

I'll add Roger in as the alternate BC then, so he can start learning the ropes.
Karen S.
not.a.moose

Post by not.a.moose »

Could we get one more line in the magic window? The project is 47+1 sections long...

Please don't tell me that I need to start over from scratch!

Scott
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

There you go.
Karen S.
Rowen

Post by Rowen »

Could I take 35, 36 and 37, or am I greedy for taking all the Galapagos Island ones..?
[size=92][url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=684]My LV Projects[/url] | Like Arthurian legend? Why not try [u][url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15518]Le Mort d'Arthur Vol 2[/url][/u]?[/size]
not.a.moose

Post by not.a.moose »

Rowen wrote:Could I take 35, 36 and 37, or am I greedy for taking all the Galapagos Island ones..?
Knowing how goodly you read, I don't care if it is greedy! They're all yours!

Scott
[size=75]He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. - Douglas Adams[/size]
Rowen

Post by Rowen »

:oops: Thank you
[size=92][url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=684]My LV Projects[/url] | Like Arthurian legend? Why not try [u][url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15518]Le Mort d'Arthur Vol 2[/url][/u]?[/size]
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Scott,

Please sign me up for Chapter VII - sections 13 & 14. Two quick questions - (1) do you want the chapters summaries read and (2) how about the footnotes? (If you plan to read the footnotes, I recommend we read them in the text where they occur as opposed to at the ends of the chapters as they appear in the gutenberg text.)

Jo
Jo
not.a.moose

Post by not.a.moose »

knotyouraveragejo wrote:Scott,

Please sign me up for Chapter VII - sections 13 & 14. Two quick questions - (1) do you want the chapters summaries read and (2) how about the footnotes? (If you plan to read the footnotes, I recommend we read them in the text where they occur as opposed to at the ends of the chapters as they appear in the gutenberg text.)

Jo
Hi Jo!

Good to see you! Chapter 7 is yours.

In answer to your questions: yes, I think that the chapter summaries should be read at the beginning of the first track of the album... I need to double check; I think there's a note on that in the first post.

As for the footnotes, I agree that they should be read more or less in place (at the end of sentences if the mark is in the midst of one). However, the jury is still out on whether or not to read them at all. I've asked Roger (co-BC in training!) for his input, and we welcome yours! Whaddaya think?

Finally, since all sections accounted for comprise entire chapters, feel free to make one file of the chapter instead of two, if you prefer. I don't see that it would make any difference whatsoever to our listening audience. They were split in the first place to encourage more readers, as some of the chapters are really flippin' long!

Thanks!
Scott
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Scott,

I think footnotes should be read when they add useful information to the narrative, but not necessarily when they are just references, etc. which would interrupt the flow of the text (and unless you were taking notes be useless to the listener anyway). Reading footnotes at the end of a sentence as you suggest would work unless it is one of those sentences that go on for a paragraph in which case the footnote would no longer make any sense out of context. I usually try to include a footnote wherever it sounds the best in reading the sentence aloud if that makes any sense to you. (I'll bet that you are sorry you asked :wink: )

Jo
Jo
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

I would like to claim sections 7 and 8, please (CHAPTER IV - RIO NEGRO TO BAHIA BLANCA - Parts 1 and 2).
I remember how, in college, I got that part-time job as a circus clown, and how the children would laugh and laugh at me. I vowed, then and there, that I would get revenge.
-[url=http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com/][u]Jack Handey[/u][/url]
not.a.moose

Post by not.a.moose »

LeonMire wrote:I would like to claim sections 7 and 8, please (CHAPTER IV - RIO NEGRO TO BAHIA BLANCA - Parts 1 and 2).
Welcome to the Beagle, Leon!

You are more than welcome to take care of 7 and 8. Thanks for your support!

Scott