Complete Short Story Collection Vol. 67 - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Short Story Collection Vol 067 by various ( - 0).
All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/short-story-collection-vol-067/

This collection is for any short story in the English Language in the public domain, preferably less than 60 minutes. You are welcome to contribute as many as you wish, and there is no need to "sign-up" before recording as long as the work is clearly in the public domain.

Please ask here if the story was published after 1922 or if you are unsure for any other reason about its public domain status. Note that translations attract their own new copyright and must also have been published before 1923.

Multiple versions are always welcome, so you can record a story that has been recorded before. (If the same stories are submitted twice in the same collection, we will carry the second version over to the next collection) .

You may prefer to submit your recording to one of the other more specialized short story collections.
    1. There is no need to state your intention to record a story.
      Just choose a Public Domain short story (under 60 minutes) in English and when you have recorded it, post it here.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? This collection will remain open until we have 20 stories. I will then close it, but the next volume will be along soon after.
    4. Where do I find the text? Any Public Domain text is acceptable. A good place to start is http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/?query=short+stories

5. If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ( various) : n/a
    7. Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    8. Number of sections (files) this project will have: 20
    9. Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    10. Original publication date (if known):
    11. If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Short Stories

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  • DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • [i"[Title of Work], by [Author Name]. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"

END of recording
      At the end of the section, say:
      "At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Title], by [Author Name]"
      If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      Please leave about 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    • AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      shortstorycollectionvol067_[shorttitleinoneword]_[readersinitials]_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) (e.g. shortstorycollectionvol067_scarletletter_ge_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
        When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread, together with the following information:

Name of your story
        Author (birth year - death year)
        Translator if applicable (birth year - death year)
        Source from which you read (e.g. Gutenberg etext url)
        Length in mm:ss
        If this is your first Librivox recording, I will also need your name as you would like it to appear on the catalogue page and the URL of your homepage if you have one and would like it linked to your name on the catalogue page.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

My previous LV work: Bellona Times
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Thank you
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

Section 1 PL OK
Good story.
Cheryls
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

I have two or three (or maybe even four) already recorded and will find some time this week to get 'em on. If you can stand it!

Peter
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

lurcherlover wrote:I have two or three (or maybe even four) already recorded and will find some time this week to get 'em on. If you can stand it!

Peter
Sounds good, but no hurry as we'll be here a while.
djcrazyjimmy

Post by djcrazyjimmy »

If 3 and 4 are open i'll take those if not I'll take two of whatever spot is currently avail.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

djcrazyjimmy wrote:If 3 and 4 are open i'll take those if not I'll take two of whatever spot is currently avail.
Welcome... In these collections, things work a bit differently than in regular books.
First, you find a Public Domain short story and record and upload it, giving me the information requested in the first post. I'll then add it to the Magic Window, in the next available space. We keep going until we collect 20 stories, then I can catalog the collection and open the next one. There is no need to claim a spot, or tell me which story you intend to read, unless you are unsure of the public domain status. If it duplicates a story from another collection, that's fine; if it duplicates one from the same collection, I'll just hold it over to the next collection.
MillionMoments

Post by MillionMoments »

Are stories intended for a younger audience welcome in these collections, or do there tend to be completed in separate projects?
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

MillionMoments wrote:Are stories intended for a younger audience welcome in these collections, or do there tend to be completed in separate projects?
Thank you for asking. These stories are intended for adults and, as you suggest, there is a separate children's collection: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=63043
There are also usually collections for science fiction, horror and non-fiction. You will find all these in the Short Works forum, and if there isn't one at any particular time, it just means that a collection was recently completed and if you wait a couple of days, a new one will open up.
Lynne
MillionMoments

Post by MillionMoments »

Thank yo for directing me to the right place :)
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

Source: http://www.bartleby.com/237/15.html

The Russian Quarter by Thomas Burke (1866-1945)

17.1MB
Duration: 18:40

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/shortstorycollectionvol067_russianquarter_pt_128kb.mp3

(Not one of my best readings, I'm afraid, but it was a while back. It's a good story though, i think, and excellent writing).

Peter
Last edited by lurcherlover on May 5th, 2017, 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Thank you for both, Peter.
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

Sections 2 and 3 PL ok
as I hope are the dogs
Cheryls