[COMPLETE] Donal Grant by George MacDonald - smijen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Donal Grant by George MacDonald (1824 - 1905).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/donal-grant-by-george-macdonald/
After leaving home in search of work, Donal Grant accepts a position as tutor to a young boy who lives in a sprawling castle, which also houses an eccentric old man, a beautiful and troubled young woman, and an ancient family legend of a secret room hidden somewhere within the castle. This is the sequel to "Sir Gibbie" by the same author, but is quite capable of standing as a complete and compelling story in its own right. (Devorah Allen)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2433
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Donal Grant. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Donal Grant, by George MacDonald. Chapter [number], [chapter name]."

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Donal Grant by George MacDonald. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Chapter [number]."
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Donal Grant, by George MacDonald. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename donalgrant_##_macdonald_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. donalgrant_01_macdonald_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: George MacDonald
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Donal Grant

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: smijen
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Any questions?
    Please post below.
Last edited by mightyfelix on July 2nd, 2017, 3:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I hope I did this right! This will be my first solo, and I am excited to get started. :)
smijen

Post by smijen »

Hi Devorah,
I can MC for you.

All looks good except there should only be one Genre (sometimes two, but those should be rare cases). I think I would remove general fiction 1800-1900 and remove Romance (romance can easily go in the key words). Which of the others do you think is more important?

Back soon with a MW.
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.
smijen

Post by smijen »

OK - you are set up!

As a soloist, you are your own BC, so you look after the Magic Window. There are instructions here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ

I've added the ~ to the front of the subject line, assuming you're looking for a DPL. We can sit in the Launch Pad for a little while, in hopes of snagging one.

If you need anything else, just let me know. :)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

smijen wrote:Hi Devorah,
I can MC for you.

All looks good except there should only be one Genre (sometimes two, but those should be rare cases). I think I would remove general fiction 1800-1900 and remove Romance (romance can easily go in the key words). Which of the others do you think is more important?

Back soon with a MW.
Oh, I see. I thought it could fit into more than one. There definitely are elements of Gothic story-telling (huge castle, secret chambers, eerie noises in the middle of the night), but MacDonald does quite a bit of "sermonizing," so Christian fiction is probably more apt.
smijen

Post by smijen »

OK, Christian Fiction it is!

I see you have all the titles filled in, so I assume you're doing OK with the MW. :)
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Would enjoy being dpl.
DaveC
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

smijen wrote:OK, Christian Fiction it is!

I see you have all the titles filled in, so I assume you're doing OK with the MW. :)
So far, so good! I do have one question. I've seen word counts in all the other projects I've worked on. Is this required, or is it more of something that we include for reference so that readers know the length of what they're signing up for?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

craigdav1 wrote:Would enjoy being dpl.
DaveC
Thanks! I hope you enjoy this story as much as I do. It's one of my favorites. And I hope my Scottish accent is at least as passable as I think it is. :lol:
smijen

Post by smijen »

mightyfelix wrote:I've seen word counts in all the other projects I've worked on. Is this required, or is it more of something that we include for reference so that readers know the length of what they're signing up for?
Exactly. It's so the readers know what they're signing up for. Not needed on a solo!
smijen

Post by smijen »

DaveC
You're in. 8-)

And we're off to Going Solo!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

smijen wrote:
DaveC
You're in. 8-)

And we're off to Going Solo!
Thanks for your help. That was pretty painless! :mrgreen:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

First three chapters are recorded. I should be able to start editing tomorrow.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Chs. 1 and 2 are ready for PL.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

1-2 PL OK.

After the first chapter you can use the optional shorter intro if you wish. Your Scottish accent was fine (though I could actually understand what you were saying).