BC/DPL credits in LV catalog

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Is there a way to see all the projects a reader has BC'd or DPL'd in the catalog, in the same way that we can look at their reader page? I know that they are listed in each project but wondered if it was possible to see the all the DPL/BC work done by a person. If there is not a way to do that, could that be added to a wish list (assuming there is one) for future upgrades for the catalog? It would be a nice way to find interesting readings and to recognize this other work that is done on our projects.

Thank you!

Jill
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You can't at the moment. The problem I see with the PLing is that only the DPL would show , you couldn't have 2 or more dpl's , same with book coordinators. I'm not sure I think it would be a great use of donation money as I think it would not really be of interest to listeners but others may disagree

Anne
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Hi Anne.

There are a few reasons why I think it might be useful.

1. For many BC'ers, I'm assuming they choose projects to produce based on at least some level of interest in the subject matter. Some BC'ers are also wonderful at choosing really interesting books that I would love to listen to. Both of these factors mean that the BC project list is something of a curated list of projects, carefully chosen by a particular BC and if I'm a listener and loved what I heard from one project BC'd by that person, there's a good chance I might like something else they produced as well. I BC many nature-related books, for example, so you might find other nature books of interest by looking at my BC list. Carolin, for another example, has a knack for finding amazing books of poetry so if I wanted to hear more great poetry I might like to see what other projects she has headed up.

2. For those of us who would like to use our LV volunteering and resulting skills on our CVs, and who have done not only reading but BCing and DPLing, it would be nice to have a link we could point to that would show all our work to potential employers or others interested in our skills and background. I am able to link to my reader page, but can't show that I've headed up projects or had to apply a standard set of requirements to many different readers' work, both of which are useful experiences we might want to be able to demonstrate.

3. So much work is put in by our DPLs (and PLs) that it would be wonderful to have a clickable link and be able to see all that they have listened to, hours and hours of work. Reading is only one of the big ways we can contribute and the DPL (and BC) information is already in the system, just on the back end, if we opened it up on the public end it's a great way to recognize contributions to that are not of the reader-y variety. I find the list of everything one volunteer has read to be a powerful look at their contributions and I think it would be the same for DPLs (and BCs). I realize that PLs wouldn't get the same credit, but at least we could recognize some of the PL work being done by recognizing the DPLs, not perfect, but significant.

Those are some of my thoughts on why this might be useful and why I suggested it. I totally understand if it turns out not to be practical to implement or deemed worthy of donated money, but if I didn't mention my idea it would just keep rattling around in my brain every time I was in the catalog so I might as well park it here in the "suggestion box". :)

Thanks!

Jill
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I understand where you're coming from, and indeed, we had this functionality in the old catalog. Now, as Anne says, it would need a redesign of the catalog to show it, and we do have a bunch of more pressing matters to deal with first. That doesn't mean it will never happen though :wink:

As for your own projects, you can login to the workflow and select "my projects" from the "projects" link. There you can "show all projects" and the results are sortable by function BC/DPL/MC/reader. It will not be accessible for anyone else without the password, but if really pressed, you could probably make a printout of all the projects you ever participated in, whatever you did there.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com