COMPLETE-Pixie O'ShaughnessybyMrs. George DeHorne Vaizey-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JUDIMASON

Post by JUDIMASON »

Pixie O'Shaughnessy (1902) by Mrs. George de Horne Vaizey (1857 - 1917).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/pixie-oshaughnessy-by-mrs-george-de-horne-vaizey/

The first of a trilogy for girls which introduces Pixie O'Shaughnessy. She is sent to boarding school in England from her native Ireland, full of mischief and inventions. ( Judith Mason)
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/21101
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    =====================================
    Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/School
    Keywords that describe the book: girls' story
    ============================================
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Pixie O'Shaughnessy (1902). This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Pixie O'Shaughnessy , by Mrs. George de Horne Vaizey. Chapter [number, title]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Pixie O'Shaughnessy by Mrs. George de Horne Vaizey. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Pixie O'Shaughnessy, by Mrs. George de Horne Vaizey. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  4. Example filename pixieoshaughnessy_##_vaizey_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. pixieoshaughnessy_01_vaizey_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
Judi Mason
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Judi! DPL checking in.
JUDIMASON

Post by JUDIMASON »

Yay!
This is a young girl's story, the first of a trilogy.
So glad you are here with me. :9:
Judi Mason
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Judi,
I'd be happy to MC this for you.
MaryAnn

Edit - your MW is ready. Let me know if you have any questions.
JUDIMASON

Post by JUDIMASON »

I have set up the chapters in the MW.
Unfortunately, I neglected to order the correct microphone cable, and cannot get one delivered until April 24th. The price of living on an island farther away from someplace than anyplace on earth.
So, WBB as soon as I can with the first recording. Thank you for your patience.
Judi Mason
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks for letting us know Judy. We'll move over to going solo and await the slow boat with your cable on it.

MaryAnn
JUDIMASON

Post by JUDIMASON »

I am still here. Please forgive the slow start. House under construction (unplanned) and no access to recording equip. I expect to be a start this project within 3 weeks. Thank you for your continuing patience.
Judi Mason
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks for the update Judi!
MaryAnn
JUDIMASON

Post by JUDIMASON »

Finally!
Uploaded Chapter 1.
Judi Mason
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Judi,
Congratulations on getting up and running. I hope everything is ok with the house.

Please remember to post the link to the file in the MW.

Opening silence is a little long. Please trim to less than 1 second.
0:01 missing text – "Chapter 1 of Pixie O'Shaughnessy (1902). This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"

BTW: I’m hearing a mouse click every minute or so. Nothing to change but thought you should be aware of it.
JUDIMASON

Post by JUDIMASON »

Hi Linny
I changed the opening silence.
There was no introductory text missing.

I listened carefully to some minutes of the recording and could hear no clicks. Please can you note some of the times where you hear the clicks? Is it during silent portions or during voicing? I have all new hardware. I bought new software too (Logic X Pro) but have been unable to record and export in mono. So have gone back to Audacity.

Thanks for your help with all this.
Judi Mason
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Judi,
Opening silence is ok now but the intro still doesn’t match.

"Chapter 1 of Pixie O'Shaughnessy (1902). This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say:
Say:
"Pixie O'Shaughnessy , by Mrs. George de Horne Vaizey. Chapter 1, The Ugly Duckling.

I don’t have time to listen the chapter again today. I can note the mouse clicks for you in future chapters if you want.

A sample of the mouse clicks:
3:52 She was an ugly baby [mouse click] well
9:40 She hid an aching [mouse click] heart
JUDIMASON

Post by JUDIMASON »

OK I made the intro change and removed the clicks. Thank you.
Judi Mason
linny

Post by linny »

Chapter 1 is spot check PL OK.

PL notes for chapter 2
12:30 “Is it cry?” asked Pixie airily, with the tears pouring down her face and splashing on to her collar, which had been manufactured out of the strings of an old bonnet, with only three joins at the back to betray the fact that it had not been cut out of “the piece.”
I hear flashing

13:15 missing text - dining-room for you to eat before you go. Come straight in, for I brought down your coat before going out. You must write often,

I took the time to note the mouse clicks so you can listen and maybe track them in your new recording process. Mouse clicks don’t change a PL status so I won’t include them for future chapters.
0:15, 0:53,
1:10 and spread out her dress ostentatiously as she seated herself by the table.
2:08,
2:33 Porridge for breakfast, I think they said, but no butter, of course?”
3:22
3:50 The girls are occasionally allowed to speak to each other in French,
6:41 The original intention had been to disguise the hole, but so proud was the family of the success of the imitation,
9:56 and the rabbit seized the opportunity to gnaw Bridgie’s skirt with its sharp teeth;
11:24 Father is going to drive you over in the cart, and he won’t like to be kept waiting.”
14:02 You understand, of course, that you are to be the Champion of Ireland in the school.
15:14 putting on a great affectation of jollity in their anxiety to disguise a natural regret;
JUDIMASON

Post by JUDIMASON »

Re-uploaded Ch.2
Judi Mason