COMPLETE: Mme de La Tour du Pin: Recollections -choc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Recollections of the revolution and the empire by Henriette Lucie de La Tour du Pin Gouvernet (1770 - 1853). Edited, abridged and translated by Walter Geer (1857 - 1937)

This project is complete! All audio files are available on our catalog page:
https://librivox.org/recollections-of-the-revolution-and-the-empire-by-henriette-lucie-dillon-marquise-de-la-tour-du-pin-gouvernet/

An abridged translation of an aristocratic Frenchwoman's personal record of the first 45 years of her long life. The author, Lucie, was of Irish Jacobite descent and a member of the high nobility who served Marie Antoinette as a young Dame du Palais. Having resourcefully managed to survive the Terror she, with her husband and young family, went into exile - part of it spent dairy farming in upstate New York. Later Lucie was introduced to the court of Napoleon Bonaparte (to whose Empress she was related by marriage) . This famous historically valuable memoir, written for her son, ends with Napoleon's return from Elba in 1815. ( barbara2)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/stream/recollectionsofr00lato#page/n7/mode/2up
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project: : Non-fiction/Biography & Autobiography; Non-fiction/History/Early Modern

Keywords that describe the book: Journal d'une femme de 50 ans, Revolution, Napoleon, France
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Part [no.] Chapter [no.] of Recollections of the revolution and the empire. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Recollections of the revolution and the empire, by Henriette Lucie de La Tour du Pin Gouvernet. Translated by Walter Geer.Part 1 Chapter 1"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Part [no.] Chapter [no.] of Recollections of the revolution and the empire by Mme de La Tour du Pin. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Part, Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Recollections of the revolution and the empire, by Henriette Lucie de La Tour du Pin Gouvernet, translated by Walter Geer. "

There should be about 5 seconds of silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename recollections_###_latourdupin_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ### is the Part, Chapter and Section (e.g. recollections_33_latourdupin_128kb.mp3)

ID tags not needed

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: chocoholic
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below

Pamela Nagami has kindly agreed to be my DPL.

Best,

Barbara
Last edited by barbara2 on September 29th, 2017, 10:17 pm, edited 8 times in total.
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Pam Nagami reporting for duty as DPL!

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

I'll be happy to MC! I'll set up your MW later this evening.
Laurie Anne
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

chocoholic wrote:I'll be happy to MC! I'll set up your MW later this evening.
Great! Thank you Laurie Anne,

Barbara
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

You're all set! Just a couple of thoughts: you're free to shorten the file name further, and you might consider adding the translator's name to the 2nd and subsequent intros. Both of those are totally up to you. I would suggest adding the translator's name at least to the final "end of book" statement if you don't add it to all of the intros.

I'll move this to Going Solo sometime tomorrow so people will have a chance to see what's in the pipeline. Happy recording!
Laurie Anne
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

chocoholic wrote:You're all set! Just a couple of thoughts: you're free to shorten the file name further,
Done!
chocoholic wrote: and you might consider adding the translator's name to the 2nd and subsequent intros. Both of those are totally up to you. I would suggest adding the translator's name at least to the final "end of book" statement if you don't add it to all of the intros.
I will add it at the end, good idea.

Best,

Barbara
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Over to Solos.
Laurie Anne
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Laurie Anne,

I've been looking through the volume. It has two "Parts" and each Part begins with a Chapter 1. Each Chapter has a descriptive name which I'd like to put in the MW Title field.

But some of the Chapters are too long for a single section so I thought of dividing them and naming each section thus:

E.g. Part 2 Chapter 15a and Part 2 Chapter 15b - "215a" and "215b"?

"Example filename [/b] recollections_####_latourdupin_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where #### is the Part, Chapter and Section (e.g. recollections_215a_latourdupin_128kb.mp3)"

Could the system handle that? What would you suggest as a better solution?

Best,

Barbara
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Hi, Barbara! The file numbers should remain as consecutive numbers. They'll match the section numbers in the final version. This is the way split chapters are usually handled (I'm making up the numbers, of course):

recollections_33_latourdupin_128kb.mp3
33 - Part 2, Chapter 15, [Part] 1

recollections_34_latourdupin_128kb.mp3
34 - Part 2, Chapter 15, [Part] 2

The leading numbers in the ID title tags (33 and 34) are added automatically by the software, so you don't have to put those in (I've included them so you'll see how things will line up in the cataloged version). And in the ID title tags you are welcome to call the splits whatever seems right to you. I normally like calling them Part 1 and Part 2, but that's potentially confusing when the book is also split into parts. You could use 15a and 15b, Section 1 and Section 2, or whatever seems best. You're welcome to abbreviate the ID title tags a bit if you like ("Part 2 Ch 15a," for example), but I wouldn't use "215a"; readers might not recognize that as a part-chapter-split designation.
Laurie Anne
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Very helpful, thanks Laurie Anne.

I'll set up the MW now and, when you've got time, have a look and see if it's OK?

Best,

Barbara
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

It looks great!
Laurie Anne
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Pam, here is Part 1 Chapter 1, the childhood of Mlle Dillon:

https://librivox.org/uploads/chocoholic/recollections_01_latourdupin_128kb.mp3
M:S
15:52

Best,

Barbara
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Barbara,

I am going to love this!

Section 1 is PL OK.

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Thanks for the PL, Pam. You will be meeting some of our old friends as the tale unfolds!

Here's Part 1 Chapter 2:

https://librivox.org/uploads/chocoholic/recollections_02_latourdupin_128kb.mp3
M:S
16:50

Best,

Barbara
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Barbara,

Section 2 is PL OK.

So sad.

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson