Problem Creating a Mono Track Using Studio One 3

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
JackAllan

Post by JackAllan »

Greetings! I'm a new member and trying to get my one minute test uploaded. I'm using Studio One 3 and created a mono MP3 voice track. When I tried to upload it, I received an error message stating that the file format wasn't supported. I then downloaded the Checker program, and it tells me the file is stereo.

I'm relatively new to using Studio One 3, but tried various ways to ensure I was creating a mono MP3 file. None were successful as Checker kept haranguing me that the file was stereo. Hoping someone in the Forum is familiar with Studio One 3, or has an idea I can try. I'm also going to reach out to the software vendor to see if they can help. I should also mention I'm using a USB microphone on a 64 bit Windows 10 OS.

I'm looking forward to becoming a reader when I get over this technical hurdle!

Thanks for your help!
Regards,

Jack Allan
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

I have Studio One at home and could try poking around it tonight (hours from now). I'll check in with this thread and post my findings if you don't solve your problem before then.

ETA: When you received the message that file format wasn't supported, it most likely meant that you weren't uploading an MP3 file, but something else masquerading as MP3 file (for instance, you saved your file in some proprietary format but gave it extension "MP3")...
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

I've searched the web for Studio One Manual and came across a PDF file. In its "Export Stems from your Song" section it contains a reference to "Options" ("the bottom section of the Export Stems menu", emphasis mine), among which there is the "Preserve Mono Tracks" check. Can that be of help? :hmm:
tovarisch
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Well, below are the results of my poking around my copy of Studio One 3.3...

I have a free version that comes with a PreSonus device. I figured out how to export a FLAC or Ogg Vorbis, but not MP3. The manual (online version, accessible via its "Help" menu) claims to allow exporting MP3, but no choice for MP3 exists in my version. Something is funny, and I may be able to figure it our later, perhaps.

The only place where you ought to be able to export an MP3 is Song -> Export Stems..., then I select "Tracks" (instead of "Channels"), then find the track and on the right-hand side, in the "Format" box I can select Wave, AIFF, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, CAF. The documentation claims you should see MP3 among those. I don't. Perhaps it's only in the Pro version (again, I have a free one, castrated).

Curiously enough, the installed folders on my drive do contain (in PreSonus\Studio One 3\Plugins) the 'mp3handler.dll', but I am not sure where to turn it on or use it... Have not found the UI for it yet. :(

ETA: Found a video of some expert talking about exporting MP3 from Studio One. He mentioned that to be able to export MP3 you need Studio One Pro. That's it. Bummer.
tovarisch
JackAllan

Post by JackAllan »

tovarisch wrote:Well, below are the results of my poking around my copy of Studio One 3.3...

I have a free version that comes with a PreSonus device. I figured out how to export a FLAC or Ogg Vorbis, but not MP3. The manual (online version, accessible via its "Help" menu) claims to allow exporting MP3, but no choice for MP3 exists in my version. Something is funny, and I may be able to figure it our later, perhaps.

The only place where you ought to be able to export an MP3 is Song -> Export Stems..., then I select "Tracks" (instead of "Channels"), then find the track and on the right-hand side, in the "Format" box I can select Wave, AIFF, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, CAF. The documentation claims you should see MP3 among those. I don't. Perhaps it's only in the Pro version (again, I have a free one, castrated).

Curiously enough, the installed folders on my drive do contain (in PreSonus\Studio One 3\Plugins) the 'mp3handler.dll', but I am not sure where to turn it on or use it... Have not found the UI for it yet. :(

ETA: Found a video of some expert talking about exporting MP3 from Studio One. He mentioned that to be able to export MP3 you need Studio One Pro. That's it. Bummer.
Tovarish - Thank you for all of your poking around and your suggestion. I posed the same question on the Studio One Forum and received the same reply about exporting Stems. I tried this and....Eureka, it worked!

I have to confess that I'm surprised this isn't more straightforward. I would have thought that if I only add a mono audio track to a Song (Song is how they refer to it in Studio One), it would only export mono (i.e. I wouldn't have to export a Stem to get a mono MP3 file).

Anyway, it worked and that's what matters!

Appreciate your help!

Jack Allan
Regards,

Jack Allan
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Glad you've had it resolved! :thumbs:
tovarisch
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

FYI - another solution is to use a program such as flacsquisher. This lets me batch process flac files to MP3 files. Very handy on occasion.

FYI #2 - if you have Studio One Artist (about a $75 purchase but frequently on sale), you can buy a plug in for $10 so you can export as MP3.
Critical feedback is ALWAYS welcome - in the forum or via PM
Valkory

Post by Valkory »

sure would like to find out how you resolved this issue. I have studio one and I can't get a file accepted. Could you share your process?
thanks
v
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

Using the S1 MP3 plug in, I also could not get the MP3 accepted by Librivox. I know Don Baarns (the S1 guru for voice actors) has said the MP3 conversion process in S1 is different than the LAME one (btw-no idea what that actually means, just repeating stuff). Maybe that difference is the trouble. My solution is either to use the flac squisher program or convert to MP3 through audacity for my Librivox submissions.

Hope this helps.
Critical feedback is ALWAYS welcome - in the forum or via PM
Valkory

Post by Valkory »

My husband has been working tirelessly to try and help me. He has downloaded the LAME encoder. We used Studio One to create the wave then ran it through the LAME encoder.

Could you tell me what you think?

thanks,
v

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/valkory.mp3
:hmm:
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Hello Valcory,

Your test sounds great and has everything as we like it. :thumbs:

Congratulations on surmounting your encoding hurdle! :clap:
tovarisch