The Dream of the Red Chamber (also known as The Story of the Stone) is one of the Four Great Classical Novels of China, and considered the greatest of them all. Almost 40 main characters and some 500 minor characters tell the fortunes of the Chia family; the book details mainly the life of Chia Pao-yü, the heir apparent, who is described as very intelligent, but also as carefree and self-indulging. The already wealthy Chia family rises to new heights when Pao-yü's elder sister becomes an imperial consort. On her first visit home, a lush garden is built, where much of the rest of the story takes place. The intrigues surrounding Pao-yü and his cousins, especially Lin Tai-yü who he loves, and Hsüeh Pao-ch'ai who he is finally tricked into marrying, make up a large part of the story. The decline of the Chia family begins with the death of the imperial consort, and when they fall into disfavour with the emperor, their mansions and the garden are eventually destroyed.
The whole book has 120 chapters, only 80 of which were written by Cao Xueqin before his death in 1764. Cheng Weiyuan and Gao E claimed to have access to Cao's papers, and published what is now known as the Cheng-Gao version in 1791. Henry Bencraft Joly translated only part of the book written by Cao. Book I contains the first 24 chapters, Book II ends abruptly with chapter 56; a Book III was never published. ( Ava)
- How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
- New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
- Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
- Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/9604
- Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.
Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard
Please follow the pronunciation guide for the following Chinese names. If you have any questions, just ask!
full pronunciation guide here
The title: Hung Lou Meng 红楼梦 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/hongloumeng.mp3
The author: Cao Xueqin （Tsao Hsüeh-ch'in）曹雪芹 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/caoxueqin.mp3
Lin Tai-yü 林黛玉 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/lintaiyu.mp3
Hsüeh Pao-ch'ai 薛宝钗 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/hsuehpaochai.mp3
Chia Yuan Ch'un 贾元春 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/chiayuanchun.mp3
Chia Ying Ch'un贾迎春 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/chiayingchun.mp3
Chia T'an Ch'un贾探春 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/chiatanchun.mp3
Chia Hsi Ch'un贾惜春 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/chiahsichun.mp3
Li Wan李纨 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/liwan.mp3
Miao Yü妙玉 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/miaoyu.mp3
Shih Hsiang-yün史湘云 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/shihhsiangyun.mp3
Wang Hsi-feng (aka Lady Feng) 王熙凤 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/wanghsifeng.mp3
Ch'in K'o-ch'ing (aka Mrs. Ch'in) 秦可卿 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/chinkoching.mp3
(Madame) Hsing 邢 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/mmehsing.mp3
(Madame) Wang王 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/mmewang.mp3
(Mrs.) Yu 尤（氏） https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/mrsyu.mp3
Tzu Chüan 紫鹃 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/tzuchuan.mp3
Hsüeh Yen 雪雁 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/hsuehyen.mp3
Hua Hsi Jen 花袭人 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/huahsijen.mp3
Ch'ing Wen 晴雯 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/chingwen.mp3
She Yüeh 麝月 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/sheyueh.mp3
P'ing Erh 平儿 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/pingerh.mp3
Hsiao Hung 小红 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/hsiaohung.mp3
Yüan Yang 鸳鸯 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/yuanyang.mp3
Hsiang Ling 香菱 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/hsiangling.mp3
Chin Ch'uan-erh 金钏儿 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/chinchuanerh.mp3
Ying Erh 莺儿 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/yingerh.mp3
Hu Po 琥珀 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/hupo.mp3
Ssu Chi 司棋 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/ssuchi.mp3
Shih Shu 侍书 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/shihshu.mp3
Chih Neng 智能 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/chihneng.mp3
Pan Erh 板儿 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/panerh.mp3
(Prince of) Pei Ching 北静 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/peiching.mp3
Gents of the four families:
Lin Ju-hai 林如海 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/linjuhai.mp3
Hsüeh P'an 薛蟠 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/hsuehpan.mp3
Chia Pao-yü 贾宝玉 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/chiapaoyu.mp3
Chia Lien 贾琏 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/chialien.mp3
Chia She 贾赦 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/chiashe.mp3
Chia Cheng 贾政 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/chiacheng.mp3
fourth tone: Imagine this conversation:
What do you think we ought to do with the murderer?
He ought to be hung -- a decisive statement, the pitch dropping on the hung, as if there's no question he will get the noose.
Chia Chen 贾珍 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/chiachen.mp3
first tone: level tone, rhymes with Jen (Jenny) in English. Hey, Jen, let's go for a ride.
Chia Ching 贾敬 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/chiaching.mp3
Chia Jung 贾蓉 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/chiajung.mp3
Chia Huan 贾环 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/chiahuan.mp3
Chia Jui 贾瑞 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/chiajui.mp3
Chia Se 贾蔷 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/chiase.mp3
Chia Yün 贾芸 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/chiayun.mp3
Chia Chu 贾珠 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/chiachu.mp3
Chen Shih-yin 甄世隐 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/chenshihyin.mp3
Chia Yü-ts'un 贾雨村 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/chiayutsun.mp3
Leng Tzu-hsing 冷子兴 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/lengtzuhsing.mp3
Pu Shih-jen 卜世仁 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/pushihjen.mp3
Ch'in Chung 秦钟 aka Ch'in Ching-ch'ing 秦鲸卿 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/chinchung.mp3
Chin Jung 金荣 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/chinjung.mp3
Chou Jui 周瑞 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/choujui.mp3
Chiao Ta 焦大 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/chiaota.mp3
Li Kuei 李贵 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/likuei.mp3
Lin Chih-hsiao 林之孝 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/linchihhsiao.mp3
Ming Yen 茗烟 (later) Pei Ming 焙茗（bei ming） https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/mingyen.mp3
Titles (used both for persons and places):
Jung Kuo 荣国 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/jungkuo.mp3
Ning Kuo 宁国 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/ningkuo.mp3
Yang Chou 扬州 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/yangchou.mp3
Chin Ling 金陵 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/chinling.mp3
Ta Li 大理 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/tali.mp3
Ch'ang An 长安 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/changan.mp3
Ta Kuan (Garden) 大观 https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/drcnames/takuan.mp3
Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!
BC Admin Genres for the project: Literary Fiction
Keywords that describe the book: china, chinese literature, china four great classical novels
- BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430
Set your recording software to:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
- DURING recording:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
START of recording (Intro)
- "Section [number] of The Dream of the Red Chamber, Book II. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
- If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
"The Dream of the Red Chamber, Book II, by Cao Xuequin. Translated by Henry Bencraft Joly. Chapter [x] Part [y]"
END of recording
- At the end of the section, say:
"End of Section [number]"
- If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
- At the end of the book, say (in addition):
"End of The Dream of the Red Chamber, Book II, by Cao Xuequin. Translated by Henry Bencraft Joly. Chapter [x]"
There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
- AFTER recording
Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
Save files as
128 kbps MP3
dreamredchamber2_##_cao_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. dreamredchamber2_01_cao_128kb.mp3)
Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
- Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
- You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Availle - availle
- When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
- If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
- Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
Please post below