The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
gloryb

Post by gloryb »

It sounds exactly like the problem the girl had in the thread you gave me to look at. We scanned for malware and it didn't show up anything. We have set the slider for the microphone volume under devices-sound-etc.. and hit okay but it always resets back to 0. We do not have Skype installed on the computer and Cortana is not on as we never signed up for it and made sure all those settings were off. We don't have a lot of stuff on this computer other than what came with it. It was working fine up to about a week and a half ago and all of a sudden I have this problem. Also, when we click on the red record indicator, the pause button depresses at the same time. I tried a different new microphone and the same thing happens. I do appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. Something is controlling the microphone. I may have to take the computer in. Gloria
gloryb

Post by gloryb »

Just for your info, my problem is solved. It was a malware problem hidden in the computer and not picked up by a regular malware protection. The fix is on "you tube" under the title, "Microphone Keeps Muting Itself in Windows 10." Basically, it gives you instructions on how to find, isolate, and kill the bug. I followed the directions and it worked. Yeah! Thank you all for your help and suggestions. Gloria
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thanks for letting us know - it may help someone else

Anne
lynn0301

Post by lynn0301 »

Hey I have an issue finding the right version of audacity to download. I clicked on the link provided on the wiki, but my browser marked it as dangerous. Is there a way to safely download it?
Difficile lectu mihi mars et jonicu difficile- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Try https://www.fosshub.com/Audacity.html/ - this one hasn't been yet marked by Google for "phishing"... :wink:
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
lynn0301

Post by lynn0301 »

Hey I'm having issues uploading my one-minute test. I selected the correct type of folder from the drop-down list, but it wouldn't let me upload the file. I tried three different browsers, but it's still the same issue. Is there a way to fix it?
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

lynn0301 wrote:Hey I'm having issues uploading my one-minute test. I selected the correct type of folder from the drop-down list, but it wouldn't let me upload the file. I tried three different browsers, but it's still the same issue. Is there a way to fix it?
Did you tell it which file (from your local storage) you want to upload? What does "wouldn't let me upload" mean? Do you get an error message?
tovarisch
lynn0301

Post by lynn0301 »

tovarisch wrote:
lynn0301 wrote:Hey I'm having issues uploading my one-minute test. I selected the correct type of folder from the drop-down list, but it wouldn't let me upload the file. I tried three different browsers, but it's still the same issue. Is there a way to fix it?
Did you tell it which file (from your local storage) you want to upload? What does "wouldn't let me upload" mean? Do you get an error message?

Hi, sorry that I didn't clarify myself further. Yes, I did get an error message telling me that the file type I'm trying to upload is not allowed. I did specify which file I wanted to upload. My file was an audacity file (.aup)
StarFire

Post by StarFire »

Hi, sorry that I didn't clarify myself further. Yes, I did get an error message telling me that the file type I'm trying to upload is not allowed. I did specify which file I wanted to upload. My file was an audacity file (.aup)
you need to export it as an mp3 file. open audacity -> files > export > save as type > mp3.
you will have to download LAME if you don't have it yet
--Winter

"I know nothing with any certainty,
but the sight of the stars makes me dream"
- Van Goph
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Also, this might be of some use to you:

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test

:)
tovarisch
SkylerC

Post by SkylerC »

Hello,
I am a brand new Librivox volunteer, and I'm trying to complete my first recording. Whenever I play it back, I get this very strange noise that sounds somewhat like a teapot whistling. Someone suggested that it could be audio interference, but it was present with every device around me other than my computer turned off. It is definitely not coming from my room, so it is a mystery to me! I uploaded a little sample with the noise in the background:
https://librivox.org/uploads/xx-nonproject/whistle_noise_example.mp3
Thank you in advance!
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Hi Skyler,

Thanks for the sample. Perhaps you could give the parameters of your system... What microphone? What OS, what computer?

Also, what happened to the levels, why is everything so low? What would happen if you bring the levels up? What if you don't speak, does the sound still show itself?

It sounds a bit like some circuitry slowly reaches saturation, which usually happens in analog mics or preamps. I wouldn't expect that in a USB mic, for instance...

ETA (next morning): now that I think of it, a USB mic could have something like that as well, since its power consumption is supposed to be low, so its circuitry might be coming up to designed voltage levels slower (a few seconds)... Can you also give us a sense of how you record? Do you turn on the mic right before you start speaking? Or do you let it "warm up" a few seconds? I don't really expect anything other than vacuum tubes needing warming up, but still...
tovarisch
SkylerC

Post by SkylerC »

I think the mic must be it. I am ashamed to say I have been using a very low quality headset, and I just did another test using only my computer (with no recording device) and the sound is gone. I guess I'll need to go pick up something else. Is there a thread or page that has mic suggestions?
Thank you!
StarFire

Post by StarFire »

SkylerC wrote: Is there a thread or page that has mic suggestions?
Thank you!
I don't think there is a specific thread for that but you might check out the microphone showdown: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=58691&hilit=mic+showdown
--Winter

"I know nothing with any certainty,
but the sight of the stars makes me dream"
- Van Goph
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Sorry to hear that, Skyler... We have a wiki page with some suggestions, and throughout the forums there have been sprinkled multiple posts on "what to get", I am sure you can find some if you search.
tovarisch