COMPLETE [OPEN POETRY]The Poetry of South Africa,Alexander Wilmot-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

so here is my first contribution for this project. Larry, do you really want us to omit the writer of the poem in the intro disclaimer ? It sounded so short to me to just say "In memoriam read by Sonia".

Out of curiosity I check up on all the new stuff I don't know yet, animals, locations, etc. Here it was the Zuurberg Hill. Interestingly I thought it would mean "Southern Hill" but apparently it means "Sour Hill". Well, my Dutch is not too great as you can see LOL

I also wanted to find out about the Reverend Templeton, but unfortunately Wikipedia didn't have him in the database. He probably died too young. :(

I hope I pronounced Zuurberg right... luckily we have a DPL who is from the area, so Kim, if I ever totally mess up a pronunciation from South African place names, please tell me.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/poetryofsouthafrica_113_wilmot_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1;19 min.

Sonia
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Kitty wrote:so here is my first contribution for this project. Larry, do you really want us to omit the writer of the poem in the intro disclaimer ? It sounded so short to me to just say "In memoriam read by Sonia".
Sonia
You raise a good point, Sonia! My original thought was just to read the poems as is, with the author at the end. But, I think I agree with you, that it would be better in the intro, maybe repeated at the end if it is there. So, I'll look these over again and make changes if necessary. Thanks so much for your insights. :thumbs:

Yes, we are fortunate to have Kim as DPL :clap:
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
carteki

Post by carteki »

Kitty wrote:so here is my first contribution for this project. Larry, do you really want us to omit the writer of the poem in the intro disclaimer ? It sounded so short to me to just say "In memoriam read by Sonia".

Out of curiosity I check up on all the new stuff I don't know yet, animals, locations, etc. Here it was the Zuurberg Hill. Interestingly I thought it would mean "Southern Hill" but apparently it means "Sour Hill". Well, my Dutch is not too great as you can see LOL

I also wanted to find out about the Reverend Templeton, but unfortunately Wikipedia didn't have him in the database. He probably died too young. :(

I hope I pronounced Zuurberg right... luckily we have a DPL who is from the area, so Kim, if I ever totally mess up a pronunciation from South African place names, please tell me.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/poetryofsouthafrica_113_wilmot_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1;19 min.

Sonia
Hi

PL OK. You got the place names fine :)
There are 2 In Memoriam poems - I would suggest updating the title in the MW to indicate which is which.

I agree with Sonia on the introduction - and was something that I wondered about when listening to the other 2 poems that have been done.

Kim
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

carteki wrote:I agree with Sonia on the introduction - and was something that I wondered about when listening to the other 2 poems that have been done.
well, I'll wait for Larry's decision, it will only be a matter of one minute to re-do the intro and re-upload. No problem for me. Just tell me. Luckily we are not too far gone into the project yet.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

well here is another one, still with the short intro. As long as I don't hear otherwise, I'll do them like that.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/poetryofsouthafrica_114_wilmot_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:43 min.

Sonia
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Kitty wrote:
carteki wrote:I agree with Sonia on the introduction - and was something that I wondered about when listening to the other 2 poems that have been done.
well, I'll wait for Larry's decision, it will only be a matter of one minute to re-do the intro and re-upload. No problem for me. Just tell me. Luckily we are not too far gone into the project yet.

Sonia
I agree with you both. I'll try to make the changes in the instructions this evening.
~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

silverquill wrote:I agree with you both. I'll try to make the changes in the instructions this evening.
ok then I'll reupload my two poems with the correct intro

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

all right, I have re-uploaded both poems, with the new intro "[Title] by William Selwyn, read for LV...". The rest is the same as before, and does not need to be PL checked again. :)

Recording time: 1:20 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/poetryofsouthafrica_114_wilmot_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:45 min.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

here is the Ox-Wagon, a bit of old time nostalgia :9:

newly learnt word: biltong. Is it any good, Kim ?

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/poetryofsouthafrica_115_wilmot_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 3:58 min.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

this is a wonderful hymn to Cape Hope. Kim, if you live there, it will probably swell your heart with pride. I loved it. :9:

Had a bit of a moment while researching Amakosa. I was thinking it maybe was a tree ("Amakosa tall") LOL then wikipedia only gave me a type of butterfly :? finally googling it I noticed it was a different spelling for the Xhosa tribe...mystery solved. Makes more sense than a butterfly in this context LOL

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/poetryofsouthafrica_116_wilmot_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 2:01 min.

Sonia
lynn0301

Post by lynn0301 »

I would like to claim section 1, The Emigrants.
Difficile lectu mihi mars et jonicu difficile- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
TrudiBvoice

Post by TrudiBvoice »

I'd like to read #106 Welcome #37 A Night Thought #56 Farewell to Madeira
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

lynn0301 wrote:I would like to claim section 1, The Emigrants.
You are certainly welcome to read this section for us, but first you must record your one-minute test and have it approved. The link for this is in your welcome message. Then post again on this forum and let me know how you would like to be listed in the LibriVox catalog. Many of us use our real names, but you may use your forum name or other pseudonym if you wish.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

TrudiBvoice wrote:I'd like to read #106 Welcome #37 A Night Thought #56 Farewell to Madeira
You are certainly welcome to read these sections for us, but first you must record your one-minute test and have it approved. The link for this is in your welcome message. Then post again on this forum and let me know how you would like to be listed in the LibriVox catalog. Many of us use our real names, but you may use your forum name or other pseudonym if you wish.
~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Larry, did you see that I uploaded my 4 poems ? :hmm: the MW is not update yet

Sonia