[COMPLETE] Introduction to the Devout Life - phi

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lisa57

Post by Lisa57 »

Hi there,
I got the OK for my 1 minute read and am ready to record! I'm interested in Sections 48 and 49 to start. Are they still available?
Thanks,
Lisa
(Lisa57)
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

argonant wrote:Re-uploading 26–29 according to PL notes.

26: https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/introductiontothedevoutlife_26_desales_128kb.mp3 (4:48)
27: https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/introductiontothedevoutlife_27_desales_128kb.mp3 (1:34)
28: https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/introductiontothedevoutlife_28_desales_128kb.mp3 (2:23)
29: https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/introductiontothedevoutlife_29_desales_128kb.mp3 (1:40)

Question: Is it kosher to record several sections together in one file with just one start and end disclaimer for the batch, or is it preferred to stick to the section divisions as I've been doing?
Thank you. I will mark these as "Ready for Spot Check".

Answer to your questions: Nope. Each section in any LibriVox project has a section number and this number will be used in the file name. This is how the project/book will be posted at our hosting site (Internet Archive) and they use the file name to put it in the right 'slot' otherwise things get all messed up. So each section needs it's own opening and closing disclaimer so that the listener knows where they are in the book and the reader knows they are putting this into the public domain. We know that it can seem very tedious and overly repetitive to say the disclaimer over and over for each section, especially if they are short, (sigh! I gotta say that again??!) but we have found it the best way. I have recorded over a thousand sections and still read the disclaimer exactly as the BC wants it read right off the screen each and every time. But then I have a tendency to skid sideways sometimes and forget important stuff. Keep asking if anything seems baffling. :thumbs:
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Sections 26-29 are all PL OK after spot-check :clap:
Kathrine
argonant

Post by argonant »

philchenevert wrote: Answer to your questions: Nope. Each section in any LibriVox project has a section number and this number will be used in the file name. This is how the project/book will be posted at our hosting site (Internet Archive) and they use the file name to put it in the right 'slot' otherwise things get all messed up. So each section needs it's own opening and closing disclaimer so that the listener knows where they are in the book and the reader knows they are putting this into the public domain. We know that it can seem very tedious and overly repetitive to say the disclaimer over and over for each section, especially if they are short, (sigh! I gotta say that again??!) but we have found it the best way. I have recorded over a thousand sections and still read the disclaimer exactly as the BC wants it read right off the screen each and every time. But then I have a tendency to skid sideways sometimes and forget important stuff. Keep asking if anything seems baffling. :thumbs:
Thanks for the clarification!
Dylan P. Straub

"The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." —Mark Twain
hela

Post by hela »

Hi, I would like to read the following sections:

48 Part 3 Ch 3 - On Patience.
49 Part 3 Ch 4 - On Greater Humility.
50 Part 3 Ch 5 - On Interior Humility.
51 Part 3 Ch 6 - Humility makes us rejoice in our own Abjection.
52 Part 3 Ch 7 - How to combine due care for a Good Reputation with Humility
55 Part 3 Ch 10 - We must attend to the Business of Life carefully, but without Eagerness or Over-anxiety.
56 Part 3 Ch 11 - On Obedience.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

hlancaster wrote:Hi, I would like to read the following sections:

55 Part 3 Ch 10 - We must attend to the Business of Life carefully, but without Eagerness or Over-anxiety.
That would be wonderful. Those sections are all yours to enjoy. Please post any questions in this forum, I will answer them as quickly as possible. And don't forget to enjoy this great book! :thumbs:

EDIT: I forgot to ask if you wished to be identified in our catalog with a name other than your forum name. A lot of us use our real names but it is entirely up to you. Just let me know.
hela

Post by hela »

philchenevert wrote:
hlancaster wrote:Hi, I would like to read the following sections:

That would be wonderful. Those sections are all yours to enjoy. Please post any questions in this forum, I will answer them as quickly as possible. And don't forget to enjoy this great book! :thumbs:

EDIT: I forgot to ask if you wished to be identified in our catalog with a name other than your forum name. A lot of us use our real names but it is entirely up to you. Just let me know.
Phil, I noticed that Lisa57 requested 48 and 49 before I did. Do you want to reassign those to her? I can pick some other ones.
hela

Post by hela »

Can I please have the following sections?

57 Part 3 Ch 12 - On Purity.
58 Part 3 Ch 13 - How to maintain Purity.
69 Part 3 Ch 24 - Of Society and Solitude.
71 Part 3 Ch 26 - Of Conversation; and, first, how to Speak of God.
72 Part 3 Ch 27 - Of Unseemly Words, and the Respect due to Others.
73 Part 3 Ch 28 - Of Hasty Judgments.
74 Part 3 Ch 29 - On Slander.
80 Part 3 Ch 35 - We must be Faithful in Things Great and Small.
81 Part 3 Ch 36 - Of a Well-Balanced, Reasonable Mind.
82 Part 3 Ch 37 - Of Wishes.
104 Part 5 Ch 2 - Meditation on the Benefit conferred on us by God in calling us to His Service.
105 Part 5 Ch 3 - Examination of the Soul as to its Progress in the Devout Life
106 Part 5 Ch 4 - Examination of the Soul’s Condition as regards God.
107 Part 5 Ch 5 - Examination of your Condition as regards yourself.
108 Part 5 Ch 6 - Examination of the Soul’s Condition as regards our Neighbour.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Lisa57 wrote:Hi there,
I got the OK for my 1 minute read and am ready to record! I'm interested in Sections 48 and 49 to start. Are they still available?
Thanks,
Lisa
(Lisa57)
Yes you may. sorry for not seeing this before I completely overlooked your claim. :oops:
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

hela wrote:
Phil, I noticed that Lisa57 requested 48 and 49 before I did. Do you want to reassign those to her? I can pick some other ones.
Oh my goodness I completely overlooked that claim Thank you so much. Yes I will assign them to her and please do pick some others. :oops:

EDIT: What happened to your forum name? I don't remember 'hela' and I can't remove you with that name. It was hlancaster before .... Did you ask for a change? Or did I do it by mistake?
hela

Post by hela »

I am not sure if this is written somewhere and I missed it but I was wondering how to handle the numbered references. Do we read or make reference to them in any way?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

hela wrote:I am not sure if this is written somewhere and I missed it but I was wondering how to handle the numbered references. Do we read or make reference to them in any way?
Excellent question. I'm not sure what you are referring to but the answer is probably ignore them. There are some big numbers on the side of the text which you should definitely ignore. Please tell me which section has the references you are talking about. As a side note, LibriVox generally does not record footnotes since they are not part of the text but this is optional and each case is decided as it comes up.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

hela wrote:Can I please have the following sections?

57 Part 3 Ch 12 - On Purity.
58 Part 3 Ch 13 - How to maintain Purity.
69 Part 3 Ch 24 - Of Society and Solitude.
71 Part 3 Ch 26 - Of Conversation; and, first, how to Speak of God.
72 Part 3 Ch 27 - Of Unseemly Words, and the Respect due to Others.
73 Part 3 Ch 28 - Of Hasty Judgments.
74 Part 3 Ch 29 - On Slander.
80 Part 3 Ch 35 - We must be Faithful in Things Great and Small.
81 Part 3 Ch 36 - Of a Well-Balanced, Reasonable Mind.
82 Part 3 Ch 37 - Of Wishes.
104 Part 5 Ch 2 - Meditation on the Benefit conferred on us by God in calling us to His Service.
105 Part 5 Ch 3 - Examination of the Soul as to its Progress in the Devout Life
106 Part 5 Ch 4 - Examination of the Soul’s Condition as regards God.
107 Part 5 Ch 5 - Examination of your Condition as regards yourself.
108 Part 5 Ch 6 - Examination of the Soul’s Condition as regards our Neighbour.
Yes you may have all of those sections. Please ask if anything is confusing. :thumbs: Please check the magic window to see that I have marked the correct ones ...
Lisa57

Post by Lisa57 »

OK thank you Phil. And hela!!
TheReadingBeaver

Post by TheReadingBeaver »

Greetings!

I am new to recording on Librivox, and I would like to help with this project. I have made a 1-minute recording uploaded. Should I also post it here? Thanks!
Last edited by TheReadingBeaver on February 20th, 2017, 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.