Hakluyt Society Books

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

Having commenced my LibriVox recording career with a prodigious effort (all of 65 seconds in the Dialects and Accents Collection), I was recently building castles in the air dreaming of what I would eventually record solo when I thought of the works of Richard Hakluyt (1552-1616), the collector of tales of exploration. Unfortunately, the amount of Latin in his books poses probably insuperable problems for my rusty Latin.

However, while idly web surfing around "Hakluyt" I came across the interesting collection of early books from the Hakluyt Society listed at

http://www.hakluyt.com/digital_books.htm

Since there seems (judging by recent rapid sign-ups for "Mutiny on the Bounty", "Scott's Last Journal" and similar works) to be a considerable sub-set of LibriVox enthusiasts keen on tales of exploration and affairs maritime, these Hakluyt Society books would appear worthy of serious consideration. They must surely be PD, having been published before 1909 and freely available on Google, and what could be better than Richard Hawkins, Walter Raleigh, de Soto, Frobisher and numerous others in their own words. On a quick scan of the catalog, none of them appear to be presently available in LibriVox.
BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes »

They call me Threadkiller.
My Catalog Page
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Shipley wrote:Having commenced my LibriVox recording career with a prodigious effort (all of 65 seconds in the Dialects and Accents Collection), I was recently building castles in the air dreaming of what I would eventually record solo when I thought of the works of Richard Hakluyt (1552-1616), the collector of tales of exploration. Unfortunately, the amount of Latin in his books poses probably insuperable problems for my rusty Latin.

However, while idly web surfing around "Hakluyt" I came across the interesting collection of early books from the Hakluyt Society listed at

http://www.hakluyt.com/digital_books.htm

Since there seems (judging by recent rapid sign-ups for "Mutiny on the Bounty", "Scott's Last Journal" and similar works) to be a considerable sub-set of LibriVox enthusiasts keen on tales of exploration and affairs maritime, these Hakluyt Society books would appear worthy of serious consideration. They must surely be PD, having been published before 1909 and freely available on Google, and what could be better than Richard Hawkins, Walter Raleigh, de Soto, Frobisher and numerous others in their own words. On a quick scan of the catalog, none of them appear to be presently available in LibriVox.
They look really interesting, I've added them to my investigate list but I would love to listen to them read by someone else :D

Anne
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

I've added them to my resource list as well. thank you :)
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

This is a great idea! Not sure I would undertake any of them as a solo, but would love to contribute to a group project.
sawasawaya

Post by sawasawaya »

For those too daunted by the passages in Latin, there is Edwin M Bacon's 'The Boy's Hakluyt - English Voyages of Adventure and Discovery' (1908, 1909, 1910) on Internet Archive.

https://archive.org/details/boyshakluytengli00baco

Quoting the Preface: "Hakluyt's quaint language ought not to be a hard nut to crack for the American boy when such rich meat is within."