COMPLETE Fireside Chats of Franklin Delano Roosevelt -mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

taylcc wrote:Jill. , could I please claim section 32 (December 24,1943)? This is a week after my father joined the Navy on his 17th birthday and going on to fight in the South Pacific. He talked about the fireside chats a lot and would do an imitation, "I hate war, Elanor hates war..." with FDRs accent. Thanks for taking this project!
Cal
Hi Cal, yes you certainly may claim section 32. I love that you have a personal connection to the chats. Thanks for being a part of this project. :)

Jill
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

Hello. I just learned that the fireside chats were recorded. There are audio recordings of all of FDR's fireside chats on Youtube. In fact, my text does not accurately correspond to his actual speech.

Would you mind if I bow out of reading section 16 17 and 18? I don't see the point.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
dread

Post by dread »

I would like to read Section 5.

-- dread
The range of literature is as wide as humanity. It touches every feeling, every hope, every craving of the human heart. -- David Jordan
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

may I claim 12 and 35.

Betty
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

realisticspeakers wrote:Hello. I just learned that the fireside chats were recorded. There are audio recordings of all of FDR's fireside chats on Youtube. In fact, my text does not accurately correspond to his actual speech.

Would you mind if I bow out of reading section 16 17 and 18? I don't see the point.
Yes, you may certainly bow out of your sections. Thanks for letting me know.

I hear and understand your concerns about making these recordings, I have actually given this a lot of thought in the past when considering LV projects of this type and when prepping this project. Here's where I'm at on it:

For anyone who may wonder, why record these speeches when we can listen to the president himself read them? For me there is power in reading the words of great speeches for ourselves. I believe that new and deeper understandings of the messages contained in the speeches can be gained through reading them out loud for ourselves.

I think there is value for our listeners in hearing modern people with modern inflections and current understandings of our world and history read the text of these historic speeches; it encapsulates our moment in time and our current appreciation for historic events. It is also inspiring and unifying to hear these speeches read by a group of volunteers from all around the world.

As to the text not matching the actual speech, this is true as often there was a version of the speech released by the White House which could be different than what the president actually read when he was in front of the microphone giving a Fireside Chat. I found in looking for these speeches that it was difficult to find information about the texts which clearly spelled out this distinction, so I decided to go with those that we could access most readily.

To sum up, if you want the historical effect of hearing FDR read these words, then definitely listen to the actual Fireside Chats, they are amazing and are powerful to hear. If you want to appreciate the language and the ideas in these speeches which are timeless and often universal, then I welcome you to claim a section. :)

Thanks for the discussion!

Jill
Last edited by jillebean on February 11th, 2017, 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Thanks dread and BettyB, your requested sections have been assigned to you. Welcome.

Jill :)
Mfassio

Post by Mfassio »

I have recorded section 3. (19:51) Here is the link!

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/firesidechats_03_roosevelt.mp3

Best,
Michael
Thanks,

Michael

"Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it." — P.J. O’Rourke
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Mfassio wrote:I have recorded section 3. (19:51) Here is the link!

Best,
Michael
Hi Michael.

This section sounds great! You have a very nice voice that makes a nice addition to the other voices here at LibriVox. I only have one tiny technical change for you to make to the file and that is to reduce the silence at the beginning of the file to no more than 0.5 to 1 seconds (right now it's just over 2 seconds). That's it! If you'll make this one change and then resubmit the file, it should be good to go.

Thanks very much for your work on this section!

Jill :clap:
Mfassio

Post by Mfassio »

Jill,
I have reuploaded section 3 as you instructed. Thank you for the very nice feedback!

It was fun to record this! Learn something about history. And as I'm reading I can picture my grandparents gathered around the radio listening to these with my parents on their laps. :-)

I could not find an original FDR audiorecording of my section other than some computer generated one, which I found to be a good thing. For those reading, I recommend putting your own unique voice into them without first listening to FDR himself do yours as it may help in resisting the natural urge to mimic. Let's face it, that would be hard to do well!

Michael
Thanks,

Michael

"Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it." — P.J. O’Rourke
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Mfassio wrote:Jill,
I have reuploaded section 3 as you instructed. Thank you for the very nice feedback!

It was fun to record this! Learn something about history. And as I'm reading I can picture my grandparents gathered around the radio listening to these with my parents on their laps. :-)

I could not find an original FDR audiorecording of my section other than some computer generated one, which I found to be a good thing. For those reading, I recommend putting your own unique voice into them without first listening to FDR himself do yours as it may help in resisting the natural urge to mimic. Let's face it, that would be hard to do well!

Michael
Thanks! It's now PL OK! Congrats!

Jill
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:Jill,

Looking further at the Fireside Chats on the UC SB website, I think they should PD as they are speeches given by a government official in the course of his official duties. That being said, I have written to the "contact" for that website to describe our project and ask if they make any claim in the transcribed text of those speeches.

For now, let's include them in the project. If we hear something back raising a question about the PD status, then we can pull them from the project.

And I'll move us over to Readers Wanted.

MaryAnn
Jill,

I've heard back from the American Presidency Project. They said we could use their transcripts if we provide attribution to their Project. As we release recordings under a PD license (no attribution required), I'm afraid that we won't be able to use American Presidency Project as a source. I have thanked them for their response and indicated that we would not use their material in our project.

I suggest that you leave those sections in the MW, remove the title and mark them as PL OK. That way, our section numbering doesn't change. I'll renumber the sections during cataloging to remove the gaps.

Disappointing, but at least we know.

MaryAnn
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:
MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:Jill,

Looking further at the Fireside Chats on the UC SB website, I think they should PD as they are speeches given by a government official in the course of his official duties. That being said, I have written to the "contact" for that website to describe our project and ask if they make any claim in the transcribed text of those speeches.

For now, let's include them in the project. If we hear something back raising a question about the PD status, then we can pull them from the project.

And I'll move us over to Readers Wanted.

MaryAnn
Jill,

I've heard back from the American Presidency Project. They said we could use their transcripts if we provide attribution to their Project. As we release recordings under a PD license (no attribution required), I'm afraid that we won't be able to use American Presidency Project as a source. I have thanked them for their response and indicated that we would not use their material in our project.

I suggest that you leave those sections in the MW, remove the title and mark them as PL OK. That way, our section numbering doesn't change. I'll renumber the sections during cataloging to remove the gaps.

Disappointing, but at least we know.

MaryAnn
If I were to listen to those speeches and transcribe them myself, releasing them into the public domain, would that work?
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

And/or the actual scanned text of his speeches are at the FDR library. It's the actual copies from the White House and there is a note about copyright on the page I listed below. I would be glad to contact them and find out about PD on them. If they are PD, I would maybe retype them since they have handwritten notes (by FDR) on them and might be confusing in their current format.

http://www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/archives/collections/franklin/index.php?p=collections/findingaid&id=582

Sorry if I'm being a pain about finding these speeches, long ago I used to work in interlibrary loan and tracking down hard to find materials was one of my favorite things about that job, I guess that continued on even without the job. ;)

Jill
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Jill,

You are quite the efficient tracker downer!

The problem with this site, which I suppose was also a problem with the UC SB website except that I didn't catch it at the time, is that neither source is traditionally published. We have gotten several suggestions lately to read "public domain" materials which have never been published in paper form and are only available on the internet. Those kind of sources can raise some uncertainties from a PD perspective, so to be fair to everyone (and create a somewhat clear line) we are looking to see that source materials have been traditionally published. The PG book which is your primary source was traditionally published. The materials from the FDR Archive do not appear to have been published in book form anywhere.

I would really prefer that we simply take the PG book and what it includes and stop there. Another option, if you would like to see the other three chats read, is to read them and upload them to Archive as a separate non-LV project. Anyone can upload to Archive . . . I've uploaded scans of old books and it truly is very easy.

MaryAnn
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Section 16, please! This is right after Germany invaded Poland, sparking WWII.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart