One Book A Week Club 2017

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

linny wrote: I found this link https://archive.org/details/February_201408 They appeal to me.
That's a great site! Thanks so much for for posting it. :)
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
Cori

Post by Cori »

My target is 100 books reviewed. I blew past my annual reading target by July last year, so have decided I don't want to count how many I read this year, but still -- having a goal is fun. We'll see how it goes. Gently does it ...

============= edited as I finish things. So far, 1 of these reviewed (at GoodReads) =========================

A Dangerous Love by Sabrina Jeffries
Experience Curating by Joel Zaslofsky
The Sea House by Esther Freud
Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
How to Make a Home by Edward Hollis
The Practicing Mind by Thomas M. Sterner
Deep Work by Cal Newport
Essentialism by Greg McKeown
The Fault in our Stars by John Green
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
The Hopkins Manuscript by R.C. Sherriff (a cosy apocalypse of sorts. Enjoyed very much.)
Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt
Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel
Goddess of the Sea by P.C. Cast
Goddess of Spring by P.C. Cast
Goddess of Light by P.C. Cast
Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
Slammed by Colleen Hoover
The Martian by Andy Weir (if you're the type to read at random, add this to your list. Don't read the back cover or watch the film ... just start on the first page. One of my very favourites of the year so far.)
Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie
The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (pseud.)
The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith (pseud.)
Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith (pseud.)
Goddess of the Rose by P.C. Cast
A Theory of Fun for Game Design by Raph Koster
Naked in Death by J.D. Robb
Glory in Death by J.D. Robb
Immortal in Death by J.D. Robb
The Vegetarian by Han Kang
Peak: Secrets from the New Science of Expertise by K. Anders Ericsson
Goddess of Love by P.C. Cast
The Paper Garden: Mrs. Delany Begins Her Life's Work at 72 by Molly Peacock (non-fiction, and recommended reading for those who've said 'Well, I'm probably a bit too old to ... '. Better in print than ebook for the illustrations.)
Rapture in Death by J.D. Robb
The Chimes by Anna Smaill
Memento Mori by Muriel Spark
My Life in Middlemarch by Rebecca Mead
Dark Lover by J.R. Ward (binge reading ahoy! LOVE this vampires-for-adults series, stumbled across totes accidentally.)
Lover Eternal by J.R. Ward
Lover Awakened by J.R. Ward
Lover Revealed by J.R. Ward
Lover Unbound by J.R. Ward
Lover Enshrined by J.R. Ward
Lover Avenged by J.R. Ward
Jerusalem (book 1: The Boroughs) by Alan Moore (yes, I am going to need to count this as three books, it's printed that way in my editing, and plenty big enough. Also a fascinating read; recommended, esp. to fellow Brits.)
Lover Mine by J.R. Ward
Lover Unleashed by J.R. Ward
Lover Reborn by J.R. Ward
Lover At Last by J.R. Ward
The Three Signs of a Miserable Job by Patrick Lencioni
The Five Dysfunctions of a Team by Patrick Lencioni (this author writes business fables for managers. Well worth reading, if you supervise others.)
The King by J.R. Ward
The Shadows by J.R. Ward
You Slay Me by Katie MacAlister
Fire Me Up by Katie MacAlister
Light My Fire by Katie MacAlister
Holy Smokes by Katie MacAlister
Playing with Fire
The Beast by J.R. Ward
Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfeild (well worth going back to, if you didn't read this as a child. NOT a sappy dance book, as I'd assumed 30 years ago. Eeesh!)
The Chosen by J.R. Ward (see, I told you it was a binge! Now I'm up-to-date until she writes some more.)

== Last edited: Sun 16th July, books read up to 5th May ==
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

I’ve accomplished this month’s goal of reading a story/article with “January” in the title: “The Tenth of January”. It was a very good, sad short story by Elizabeth Stuart Phelps, ending in a tragedy that had a very definite ring of truth to it. After reading the story I Googled “Pemberton Mill Disaster 1860” which led to this Wikipedia link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pemberton_Mill

Once again a LibriVox project has led to a new discovery for me. It will be interesting to see what new findings the names of each upcoming month will bring.

MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Here is my list of books read January 2017. Hard to believe we're already in the second month of the year!

"The Night Calls" by David Pirie. Paperback. Good mystery. A fictional book that the author writes as though he is A. Conan Doyle, writing about Dr. Bell as his inspiration for the Sherlock Holmes stories. Entertaining book.

"The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. Overdrive audiobook from library. Excellent novel. Best seller from several years ago that has been made into a movie. I finally got around to reading the book, guess the movie is next!

"The Tenth of January" by Elizabeth Stuart Phelps. Gutenberg download. This is my January titled reading project. A sad, short story based on an actual event. (Pemberton Mill Disaster of 1860)

"A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens. LibriVox download. I read this book many years ago and liked it a lot. Excellent story. Paul Adams did a wonderful job recording this book.

"Through the Looking Glass" by Lewis Carroll (pen name of Charles Lutwidge Dodson) Lovely anniversary edition book with complete illustrations. Entertaining, imaginative children’s book. A 19th century classic.

"The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield. Library book. Excellent book, beautifully written story. An intriguing mystery with all sorts of surprises.

"Librivox Short Story Collections 017" by Various Authors. Librivox download. Some good stories, a few I never bothered to finish. I especially liked “The Lion’s Share” from “The Grim Smile of the Five Towns” by Arnold Bennett. Also enjoyed “The Ivory God” and “The Man Without a Country”. I’d heard of the latter, but this was the first time I read it.

mjfillen

Post by mjfillen »

I wrote out a very, very long entry but I pushed Preview and it had signed me out and I lost it all! :shock:
Rassin frassin! :evil:
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Kangaroo692 wrote:Books reading on my own:
6. Under the Lilacs by Louisa May Alcott
7. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
8. Little Men by Louisa May Alcott
♥ ♥ ♥ !!
linny

Post by linny »

mjfillen wrote:I wrote out a very, very long entry but I pushed Preview and it had signed me out and I lost it all! :shock:
Happens to me too when the system views me as inactive and logs me out.

Next time, click the back button, it will show your post so you can copy it, then sign in and you can post. :mrgreen:
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

yes ive had that happen to me too :evil: now when i type out a long post i hit ctrl+a, ctrl+c before hitting submit, so that i can paste it back should the thing get lost.

regarding books, i have had a very lazy january with only 5 books completed. im hardly logging on to goodreads anymore, not just because i have nothing to update but also because i dont want to see that i am five books behind schedule already :cry:
Carolin
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

But reading is supposed to be about the pleasure of it, not about keeping up with a schedule (school readings excepted).

I have just finished reading 'Fruiting Bodies' by Natasha Cooper. Earlier I read the third part of a crime trilogy set in the Basque country and spiced with the local folklore. If you like a combination of crime and paranormal, look out for Dolores Redondo's books!
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
J_N

Post by J_N »

While I am not behind on my schedule, I am far away from what it was last year... I am currently spending 10-12 hours at work everyday, though - so apart from my commute, I don't do much reading...

(although, I do read Manga because I need SOMETHING to take my mind off of work - but they don't count as books for me)
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Piotrek81 wrote:But reading is supposed to be about the pleasure of it, not about keeping up with a schedule (school readings excepted).
That's true. If some of the other LibriVoxers are like me, they're using this forum to keep up with what they're reading for the fun of it. Although I have a goal, I don't worry about reaching it each month. If I read only a few books one month, I'll probably read more the next month, so things will balance out. If not, I'm glad to stick to my goal of reading things that I enjoy and that teach me something. For several years I've kept track of what I've read...long before sites like Goodreads came along. Actually, I post only occasionally on Goodreads. Even when my Facebook friends post a "Like" about what I've read, I doubt that they are really interested. :D The thing I like about this site is seeing what other people are reading. That often leads to discoveries of very interesting books!

Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

mjfillen wrote:I wrote out a very, very long entry but I pushed Preview and it had signed me out and I lost it all! :shock:
Having had that happen a few times in
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

I would like to up my reading this year, so maybe keeping publicly accountable with my lists will help motivate me! Once a week would be improvement for me.
Does skimming non-fiction books count? I don't always read every word of a non-fiction book, but I go through them thoroughly all the same.

January:
The Lost Shipwreck of Paul, by Robert Cornuke (non-f) :D
Tangled Ashes, by Michele Phoenix :clap:
The Last Christian on Earth, by Os Guinness (non-f) :|

February:
Passed and Present, by Allison Gilbert (non-f) :)
Sands of Time, by Susan May Warren :roll: :)
The Millionaire Mind, by Thomas J. Stanley (non-f) 8-)
Watercolor Pencil Magic, by Cathy Johnson (non-f) :)
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Books read in February. Decent list for a short month.

The Blue Cat of Castle Town” by Catherine Coblentz. LibriVox download. Nice children’s story. Based on a trip the author and her husband took to Castleton, VT. Book was published in 1949. Assume copyright was not renewed.

Eight Days in New Orleans” in February, 1847" by Albert James Pickett. Gutenberg download. This was my “February” titled book. Interesting account of New Orleans in the years prior to the Civil War.

A Thin Ghost and Others” by M. R. James. LibriVox download. I liked the first story, but couldn’t get into the others.

Colorado” by Louis Bromfield. Book from library sale. Well written, entertaining old west fiction.

The Personal History of Rachel DuPree” by Ann Weisgarber. Book bought at flea market. Excellent fictional story taking place in the early 1900s, of a black woman from Chicago who marries and goes to South Dakota with her husband as a pioneer. The book is being made into a movie.

MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

I see that no one has posted on this topic since my last post. I'm beginning to think this must be the loneliest topic in LibriVox. :( Oh well, maybe someone else will post their readings soon. In the meantime, here are my books for March:

"A Pair of Blue Eyes" by Thomas Hardy. LibriVox download. Pretty good novel. Not one of his best, but pretty good. Beautifully read by Tadhg (THynes)
"The Obsidian Chamber" by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Audiobook download from library. The 2016 best seller of the Pendergast series. Often far-fetched, always exciting and entertaining. Looking forward to the next book.
"Maria Chapdelaine" by Louis Hemon LibriVox download (Version 2) Short novel about French Canadians in Quebec in the early 20th century. Wonderful reading by Bruce Pirie. Beautifully written little book. Sad that the writer died at such a young age.
"A March Wind" by Alice Brown. Short story from Gutenberg download of "Tiverton Tales". This was my “March” titled story for the month. Nice, short story. Plan to read all the stories in the book. Pleasant stories of small town New England life at the end of the 19th Century.
"The Collected Public Domain Works of H. P. Lovecraft" by H. P. Lovecraft. LibriVox download. Some very good stories, some did not appeal to me. I especially liked “Herbert West: Reanimator”. “The Terrible Old Man” appealed to me, too. Lovecraft did have a way with words.

That's it for March. Maybe another LibriVoxer or two will post something here for April :)