Illegal Food, And Food That Ought To Be Illegal

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
mjfillen

Post by mjfillen »

What is some kind of food that is illegal where you live that other people eat legally?
Or food you think ought to be illegal. You could explain too.

At the moment I can only think of one illegal food, and that is Scottish Haggis. It is not illegal because it tastes bad, or because it sounds like a bad idea, grinding oatmeal and sheep organs together with seasoning and cooking it in a stomach. All that is disgusting for people who did not grow up eating organs. But the ingredient that makes it illegal is sheep lungs, because of some disease transmitted thru eating lungs. It all sounds bad to me but I guess some people actually like it. [*shivers*]
argonant

Post by argonant »

US here: raw milk cheeses. A unique and in my opinion wonderful food experience to seek out for those traveling in Europe, esp. France. Meanwhile, our government has decided for us that the risk of disease is too high (a debatable assessment) to allow citizens to make educated choices for themselves.

Should be illegal: imported pre-peeled shrimp and other foods that we have good reason to suspect are produced by slave labor.
Dylan P. Straub

"The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." —Mark Twain
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I THINK shark fin soup is illegal here. Either that, or it was up for debate at one time.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

We rednecks will eat anything.

http://www.mcd.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/MCD_-_Product_Information_Sheet_-_Game_Meats1.pdf

"Kangaroo: The ultimate in free range. YOU try and keep one behind a fence."

SOTE
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
mjfillen

Post by mjfillen »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:We rednecks will eat anything.
http://www.mcd.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/MCD_-_Product_Information_Sheet_-_Game_Meats1.pdf
"Kangaroo: The ultimate in free range. YOU try and keep one behind a fence."
SOTE
Oh my gosh... :shock: I guess I never thought there were enough camels around to eat... Or people who wanted to eat them...
I don't think people should eat bears or their parts. I can't imagine that eating any carnivore would be a pleasant experience anyway.
Did you know that eating any quantity of shark liver will kill you? You overdose on either vitamin A or D and it kills you. It's accumulated there from all the creatures they prey on.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Would have thought most sharks were laced with mercury - top of the food chain problem in oceans.
Australia has more wild camels than anywhere else they say - they were introduced to cross the arid centre along with "Afghan" drivers and were turned loose when the trainline went in - and they multiplied .

Anne
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

I imagine sharks would give you ciguatera poisoning too, at least up north on the coral reefs.

http://safefish.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Seafood-News-Ciguatera-Poisoning.pdf
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
mjfillen

Post by mjfillen »

I wonder if I am mixing up shark liver with bear liver as being toxic because of high vitamin A levels. I just read about it and it says "The liver of certain animals — including the polar bear, bearded seal, walrus, moose — are particularly toxic." It didn't mention sharks. Or how vegetarian moose accumulate so much. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervitaminosis_A
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Maybe . certainly some of the polar explorers died from vitamin poisoning from eating liver.

Anne
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

I enjoy Scottish haggis, and so does my terrier.