COMPLETEThe New Test in Modern English: Romans-Revelatio-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
markpenfold

Post by markpenfold »

The New Testament in Modern English: Romans-Revelation by Ferrar Fenton (1832 - 1920). Translated by Ferrar Fenton (1832 - 1920)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-romans-to-revelation-by-ferrar-fenton-bible/
Work on the translation began in 1853 by a London businessman named Ferrar Fenton (1832–1920). The complete Bible was first published in 1903, though parts were published as separate volumes during the preceding 11 years. The translation is noted for a rearranging of the books of the Bible into what the author believed was the correct chronological order. In the Old Testament, this order follows that of the Hebrew Bible. The name of God was translated throughout the Old Testament as "The Ever-Living". The Bible is described as "translated into English direct from the original Hebrew, Chaldee, and Greek languages." For his translation of the Book of Job which appeared in 1898, Fenton was assisted by Henrik Borgström. This was "rendered into the same metre as the original Hebrew, word by word and line by line". His translation of the New Testament is based on the Greek text of Westcott and Hort. The ordering novelty in the New Testament is that it places the Gospel of John and the First Epistle of John at the beginning before the Gospel of Matthew, thus placing the Acts of the Apostles immediately after the Gospel of Luke.

Notable as well, is Ferrar Fenton's restoration of the Psalms into the musical verse form as close to the original as he could get. The Psalms were, quite literally, songs, complete with instructions for the "choirmaster" as well as descriptions of the appropriate musical instruments to be used. Today Psalm 48, Psalm 137, and Psalm 23 are still sung in churches, albeit to tunes not the original.

(Summary by Wikipedia) ( Wikipedia)
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): http://thetencommandementsministry.us.ministry/ferrar_fenton/pdf
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter(s) XX-XX of [Book], from the New Testament in Modern English, translated by Ferrar Fenton. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "[Chapter XX]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter(s) XX-XX of The New Testament in Modern English, translated by Ferrar Fenton. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter XX"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The New Testament in Modern English: Romans-Revelation, by Ferrar Fenton. Translated by Ferrar Fenton (1832 - 1920)"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename newtestament3_##_fenton_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
m@rk p&nfold
lincoln, ne, usa
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Mark,

Happy to MC this for you. I'll get the MW set up.

Will this finish off the Fenton translation for you?

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

By the way, if you want to shorten ending silences to 5 seconds on files over 30 minutes, that's now fine. We've had a change of approach recently, to 5 ending seconds for all files, regardless of length.

MaryAnn
markpenfold

Post by markpenfold »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:Mark,

Happy to MC this for you. I'll get the MW set up.

Will this finish off the Fenton translation for you?

MaryAnn
Yes indeed! I'm excited to get this underway and finished! Thanks for MC'ing for me yet again!!!
m@rk p&nfold
lincoln, ne, usa
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Mark,
Going to move this over to going solo to keep the launch pad tidy. Once you get a chapter or two recorded, we can advertise for a DPL (unless someone snags this before then based on the tilde).
MaryAnn
markpenfold

Post by markpenfold »

Almost finished editing Section 1. I will have it done by week's end! :mrgreen:
m@rk p&nfold
lincoln, ne, usa
markpenfold

Post by markpenfold »

Alllright....Section 1 is here:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/newtestament3_01_fenton_128kb.mp3

Duration: 19:06
File Size: 17.5 MB
m@rk p&nfold
lincoln, ne, usa
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Would enjoy being dpl.
DaveC
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Dave. You're in the MW.
MaryAnn
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

volume is a tad high (94.4dB) and needs to be lowered by ~4 or 5 dB, otherwise pl ok.
markpenfold

Post by markpenfold »

craigdav1 wrote:1
volume is a tad high (94.4dB) and needs to be lowered by ~4 or 5 dB, otherwise pl ok.
Thank you, craigdav1, for coming aboard! I used Auphonic for this, at -18 LUFS. Do you think -19 or -20 would do the trick? Let me know what you think. I don't use Audacity for sound adjustment because I can't seem to get it to work for that or for eliminating background noise very effectively.
m@rk p&nfold
lincoln, ne, usa
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Mp3Gain gives you dB levels for an audio file and it can also analyze multiple files. It is a separate program independent from Audacity and is available free at the following link:
http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php
markpenfold

Post by markpenfold »

Okay, I THINK Mp3Gain did this right....let's see if it sounds any differently:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/newtestament3_01_fenton_128kb.mp3

Same duration, same file size, hopefully better!
m@rk p&nfold
lincoln, ne, usa
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

markpenfold wrote: I used Auphonic for this, at -18 LUFS. Do you think -19 or -20 would do the trick? Let me know what you think. I don't use Audacity for sound adjustment because I can't seem to get it to work for that or for eliminating background noise very effectively.
Mark,
Yes, I would move auphonics one notch quieter. That will probably do it. I have Auphonics set at -20, although your setting may need to be different to get about 89 dB, just because every voice is different.

MaryAnn
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

1 PL OK!