[COMPLETE] Anti-Dictator by Étienne de La Boétie - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
putzy a

Post by putzy a »

Anti-Dictator: The Discours sur la servitude voluntaire by Étienne de La Boétie (1530 - 1563). Translated by Harry Kurz (1889 - 1973)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/anti-dictator-the-discours-sur-la-servitude-voluntaire-by-etienne-de-la-boetie/

abandoned February 2022. Files in abandoned/antidictator

Volunteers outside the USA: Harry Kurz died in 1973. The author's work is still protected by copyright in places like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1955) or Canada (author's death plus 50 years), UNLESS the rule of shorter term applies. <p>
Étienne de La Boétie was the closest friend of Michel de Montaigne and the subject of the latter's famous essay "On Friendship." Here, however, he tackles a different, more impersonal relationship: that of ruler and ruled. The argument in this work is encapsulated in this quote: "A people enslaves itself, cuts its own throat, when, having a choice between being vassals and being free men, it deserts its liberties and takes on the yoke, gives consent to its own misery, or, rather, apparently welcomes it." Montaigne claimed that Boétie composed this work at the age of 18, and it was published over a decade after the young man's tragic death at 32. Some commentators up to the present day have argued that Montaigne himself was the author, and that he used the cover of his late friend's name because of its radical content. Whatever the truth, these words have inspired anti-authoritarian thinking for centuries. (Ben Adams)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/001139922
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    [list]
    [*] Project Code: iYeiaPFz
    [*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Étienne de La Boétie) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Étienne_de_La_Boétie
    [*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discourse_on_Voluntary_Servitude
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 3
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
    [*]Original publication date (if known): 1576
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================ [/size]
Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Essays & Short Works; *Non-fiction/Political Science; *Non-fiction/Philosophy/Early Modern
Keywords that describe the book: anarchism, montaigne
============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Section [number] of Anti-Dictator: The Discours sur la servitude voluntaire. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Anti-Dictator: The Discours sur la servitude voluntaire, by Étienne de La Boétie. Translated by Harry Kurz (1889 - 1973) [Section]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Section [number] of Anti-Dictator: The Discours sur la servitude voluntaire by Étienne de La Boétie. Translated by Harry Kurz (1889 - 1973) This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Section]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Anti-Dictator: The Discours sur la servitude voluntaire, by Étienne de La Boétie. Translated by Harry Kurz (1889 - 1973)"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename antidictator_##_delaboetie_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. antidictator_01_delaboetie_128kb.mp3)

[*]ID3 V2 tags are not necessary.
Enter section/chapter titles in the MW. Author and book title will be set automatically during cataloging.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
    https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Darvinia
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by bennow on January 25th, 2017, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda Andrus
bennow

Post by bennow »

So, based on the date of the translation you might be asking yourself: is this book PD? Well yes! You can view the discussion in the suggestions forum here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63613

This shouldn't take too long. I think I might even be able to wrap up the recording within a week. Who's with me?

-Ben
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

:) I was wondering that very thing as I checked your source.

I'll set it up later today. Upload to my folder if you have anything ready before I have done so.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
bennow

Post by bennow »

Thanks Bev!

I'm going to add a squiggle. Anyone up for a PL?
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Ok, MW is up. We'll sit here for a day or so to see if we can attract a proof listener.

It is no longer necessary to leave a 10 second silence at the end of longer sections. 5 seconds will do for all files. I have edited the first post to reflect this.

I notice that the summary I have in the database is different than the one in the first post. May I assume the first post has been edited to what you want it to be and change the database accordingly?

As always, if I've missed anything or you need anything else, let me know! Have fun! :)
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
soupy

Post by soupy »

I'll proof listen.

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
bennow

Post by bennow »

Thanks Craig!

Bev- I'm wondering how that happened re: the summary. I wrote the original post up and saved it as a draft and edited it before posting to the forum, but not since. Does the summary get into the database as soon as the draft is saved? Either way, the one that is there now is is the one I'd like to go up.

Thanks both!

-Ben
bennow

Post by bennow »

Oh, one quick note on the pronunciation I'm going to follow: there is some dispute on the correct way to pronounce "Boétie." In a well-known commentary that often accompanies more recent editions of this work, Murray Rothbard writes that in the regional dialect of the time, it would have been "Bwettie." Rothbard is a scholar of some renown (though with many and glaring flaws) and should probably be trusted on this particular point. Nonetheless, the edition from which I'm reading makes a special note--which has been followed for many years--to say that the pronunciation is "Bo-ess-y" like "poesy" with a little bit more hiss. I'm going with this choice, Rothbard be damned.
soupy

Post by soupy »

I'm going with this choice, Rothbard be damned.
Very new scholarly methodly of you :D Make you own choice.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Craig, thank you. You're in as DPL.

Ben,
The database info is fixed when you get that project code number. So yes, if that number is there in your saved draft then the info in that draft is what has been entered into the database. It's quite easy to change though. :) Just a copy and paste for me.

I'll move us to Going Solo as we're fully staffed.
Bev

bennow

Post by bennow »

Well, my projections of being finished in a week were obviously wrong, but then again, I didn't expect I'd have to spend so much of this week fighting an actual dictator in the streets...

Intro is up. I have some recordings of the main text, but I'm not sure if I want to use the excitable tone I naturally slipped into or if I want to follow Kurz's advice and not see la Boetie as a firebrand...

https://librivox.org/uploads/darvinia/antidictator_00_delaboetie_128kb.mp3
run time 24:47

-Ben
soupy

Post by soupy »

Very nicely read :D

two errors of note:

7:44 After Friendship top of page xiii Read all the footnotes? Bottom of page xiii (footnote 5 not read)

23:20 We know not only from his words -- didn’t read only

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
bennow

Post by bennow »

Thanks!

I think i got the edit right at 23:30. Kinda makes the sentence read differently :oops:

As for the footnote, I didn't read that one for two reasons. First, it's not really a very important piece of information, as that essay is easier located in our modern age by searching the title. Second, it's incorrect. "On Friendship" is Chapter 27 in Book One of the Essays, not Chapter 28 (which is actually La Boetie's sonnets). If you still think I should add it in, I can.

Best,
Ben
soupy

Post by soupy »

I'll accept your reasoning. The Introduction is PLOK.

Thanks

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
bennow

Post by bennow »