[COMPLETE] A History of England, Charles Oman-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

A History Of England by Charles Oman (1860 - 1946).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/a-history-of-england-by-charles-william-chadwick-oman/
A one volume survey of the history of England from Celtic and Roman times through the end of the nineteenth century. Muscular prose makes an exciting narrative emphasizing the political, military, and religious history of the kingdom. Oman dwells heavily on the role of the moral probity, intellectual caliber, and energy, or failings in any of those areas, on the part of monarchs and other men or women of power in driving the course of events. Most chapters begin, and some end as well, with a discourse on the character of the monarch or leading politicians of the period under consideration, and similar assessments are adduced as needed in the course of the narrative. The author maintains sobriety in his accolades for leaders he admires, but those he considers villainous or incompetent, lazy and purely self-interested come in for colorful denunciations such as the description of one king as “a selfish, hard-hearted, unamiable, and uninteresting man” and the characterization of corrupt politicians in the reign of another monarch as “disgraceful personalities…squalid intriguers…a crew of sharpers and hypocrites.” Often, however, he finds a very human mixture of virtues and vices, strengths and weaknesses, and discerns benefits to the nation from the governance even of some flawed but intelligent and energetic leaders. Summary by Pattymarie
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/47753
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History

Keywords that describe the book: history, england

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of A History Of England. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "A History Of England, by Charles Oman. Chapter [number], [Chapter title], part [number]

END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Sectıon]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of A History Of England, by Charles Oman. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename historyofengland_###_oman.mp3 (all lower-case) where ### is the section number (e.g. historyofengland_001_oman_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Annise
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by pattymarie on May 8th, 2023, 9:24 am, edited 6 times in total.
Pattymarie
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Today, June 23, marks the 70th anniversary of the passing of the eminent and eminently enjoyable historian, Charles Oman, so as of tomorrow it'll be legal for me to upload recordings of his engaging work.
Pattymarie
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

In most juristicians copyright laws are like racehorses who all have the same birthday , I think it's the first of August for horses. With copyright it's usually January first, the year after the actual death, but I do not claim to be a copyright lawyer , or for that matter a racehorse breeder :D

Anne
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Oh dear. If that's the case, I 'll hold on to the the chapter I've recorded and keep on recording to upload when it's legal to.

For the month of August I will be in the US where this book has long been in the public domain as it was published in 1895 with a second edition released in 1919, so perhaps I could upload what I get done by then and do there during that month, then wait 'til January to upload the rest.

Thanks for the info, Annise.
Pattymarie
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

That would be perfectly legal as far as I know :D

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Would you like me to set it up so you have somewhere safe to put any while you are in the USA and label it not to be catalogued till next January 1st (your time not mine :D )
Unless of course you record it all while you are there.

Anne
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Thank you, Annise. I see you've set it up. I should have several files to upload early in August.
Pattymarie
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Here is chapter 1.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/historyofengland_01_oman.mp3 Duration 38:33

I hope we'll get a dpl.
Pattymarie
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've put up the wanted DPL banner (~ in the header)
I'll add this one to the MW and added a couple of titles. Do you know how to do it yourself ?

Anne
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

I hadn't known how to add titles but intuitively guessed and have added a few more myself. How to add the tilde is still a bit of admins' esoterica to me.
Pattymarie
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

All looks good - I wasn't sure if you could access the MW . Adding the tilde id easy , just a case of editing the heading of your first post :D . I usually do it when I set up the MW .
I'll move this into the new projects for a couple of days for prospective Dpls to see

Anne
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Would enjoy being dpl.
DaveC
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Welcome Dave
The delay in this starting was caused because Patty is Canadian and it only became PD there on the 1st January. So she had to wait a few months.

Anne
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

1 PL OK.

Well, we are off to a rousing start.
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Thank you, Dave. I'll try to get a new chapter up soon. Just found the correct pronunciations of most of the English place names in chapter two - will have to wing it for a few.
Pattymarie