Input : Tascam US-800
Software : Audacity
Platform : Windows PC
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Icaruslanding wrote:Section 55 Please
Thanks Mark

Reading is PL OK. :thumbs:

The Behringer C1 is said to be a power hungry beast: it is good to hear that you got a decent level of volume from it.

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Icaruslanding »

Algy Pug wrote:
Icaruslanding wrote:Section 55 Please
Thanks Mark

Reading is PL OK. :thumbs:

The Behringer C1 is said to be a power hungry beast: it is good to hear that you got a decent level of volume from it.

Cheers
It's definitely power hungry but my input is probably only at 1/3 Rd volume. I can go much higher if needed
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

Algy Pug wrote:Thanks Scotty

Superb readings - all PL OK. :clap:

Audio quality for all readings was excellent. The inexpensive PG58 came up surprisingly well - a lot of people have trouble getting sufficient gain from a dynamic microphone.

However, the pick of the bunch for me was the Sennheiser MKH 416 - clear and quiet and very responsive to even the subtlest vocal modulations. Of course, given its price tag it should be the best - nevertheless I can see why v/o professionals would choose it over much more expensive marque products like the Neumann U87.

Cheers
Yes the 416 seems the most natural sounding of these for sure, but oddly still doesn't magically make me like the sound of my own voice. :lol:
It is also very versatile. Oh, why does it have to be so expensive? Even for video I could never justify it.
I also liked the Shure more than expected, though I've had it for 15 years, I rarely ever used it to record anything.
The Blue goes deep and has very little, if any, self-noise and is all around not bad for a $200-$250 price range, I think, but the MXL, though less sensitive and noisier, can be cleaned up to sound really good, practically the same as the Blue at least, for less than $70(?).
Scotty
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

iBeScotty wrote:
Yes the 416 seems the most natural sounding of these for sure, but oddly still doesn't magically make me like the sound of my own voice. :lol:
Hi Scotty

You may be interested in the following very negative review of the 416:
http://www.coreyburton.com/sennheiser.html

I am a big fan of MXL gear. I have made commercial recordings using the MXL USB.007 and found it very smooth. Later I was tempted by the V67 but ended up buying a Sennheiser MK4.

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by iBeScotty »

Very nice and informative review, thanks! :thumbs:
Scotty
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

I could do some mic tests - will have to decide what source material I used. Maybe Shakespeare sonnets and/or some bits from some plays?
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

lurcherlover wrote:I could do some mic tests - will have to decide what source material I used. Maybe Shakespeare sonnets and/or some bits from some plays?
Thank you.

Shakespeare sonnets or excerpts from monologues would be ideal. The following site is an excellent source for other monologue material:
ww.monologuearchive.com/dramatic_men.html

Please let me know how many sections you will need.

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by lurcherlover »

Algy Pug wrote:
lurcherlover wrote:I could do some mic tests - will have to decide what source material I used. Maybe Shakespeare sonnets and/or some bits from some plays?
Thank you.

Shakespeare sonnets or excerpts from monologues would be ideal. The following site is an excellent source for other monologue material:
ww.monologuearchive.com/dramatic_men.html

Please let me know how many sections you will need.

Cheers
I'm not sure how many sections - I would use four mic's. It could be one mic for each section, or four mic's in one section?
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

lurcherlover wrote: I'm not sure how many sections - I would use four mic's. It could be one mic for each section, or four mic's in one section?
It should be one microphone per section. I have allocated sections 56, 57, 58 and 59 to you.

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by lurcherlover »

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm not sure how soon i can do this now. Also, i think I should really only do it with one relevant mic, or two at the most.

I do think that the room acoustics and also technical use use of the mic, makes much more difference to the sound than individual mic's, at least once you get over a certain price range. Room treatment with things that can absorb the sound have a much greater impact. (Omni mic's of course soak up more room sound and reflections than cardioid and although they are great for music, solo voice narration fares less well with them unless it's used in a very very dry room).

Peter
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

[quote="lurcherlover"]Sorry to be a pain, but I'm not sure how soon i can do this now. Also, i think I should really only do it with one relevant mic, or two at the most.

/quote]

Not a problem. I will leave Section 56 open for you. I can open further sections later on if required.
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by lurcherlover »

Algy Pug wrote:
lurcherlover wrote:Sorry to be a pain, but I'm not sure how soon i can do this now. Also, i think I should really only do it with one relevant mic, or two at the most.

/quote]

Not a problem. I will leave Section 56 open for you. I can open further sections later on if required.
Fantastic - thanks! I will do a reading with my current new mic in the next day or so. Then later maybe with my ribbon mic on a new section.

Peter
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

SOURCE: http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/1121/pg1121-images.html

As you Like it - William Shakespeare (1564-1616)
ACT II Scene VI
All the World's a Stage

Duration: 2:29
2.3 MB

Rode NT1A capacitor mic (Cardioid) NO pop-shield used, but mic in supplied shock-mount.

UPLOAD: https://librivox.org/uploads/ruthieg/microphoneshowdown3_56_various_128kb.mp3

Hope I've got this right!

Peter
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

lurcherlover wrote: As you Like it - William Shakespeare (1564-1616)
ACT II Scene VI
All the World's a Stage

Peter
Thanks Peter

Reading is PL OK.

I have added a few seconds silence at the end and re-uploaded the recording. Duration is now 2:33.

The NT1A is an excellent piece of kit.

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page