[fixed]Files reported double-entered on Internet Archive

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

A reviewer on Internet Archive points out that the files of A.E.W. Mason's The Witness for the Defence appear there as double-entries:
https://archive.org/details/witness_for_defence_1701_librivox
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Admin's aware of the problem and we're working with archive - meaning, we're prodding them with long sticks and mean emails :wink: - to fix it.

It appears to be mainly a display problem due to some change in archive's derive process (or something else). It occurred some time last week and since then we're trying to get archive to fix it.

In case somebody noticed: This is also the reason why some admins are holding off cataloging: mostly as to not create more work for us and/or archive when archive goes back to normal... (yes, we are that lazy... :P )
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

This one's okay: https://archive.org/details/inindiantents_1701_librivox

What did Phil do differently?

Peace be with you,
Sister
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Nothing - he just waited patiently. Archive are working on it , we will not know if it's fixed until the coverart etc has been added

Anne
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

That one has double files now as well.
Jo
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Any news about this being resolved? Thank you!

Peace be with you,
Sister
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It is really not a file problem , just a display problem so our files are fine . It looks like the latest ones that have reached Archive look good https://archive.org/details/reign_queen_anne_volume_2_pn_1701_librivox for example , and they have said that when they have sorted out all their display problems they will tidy up our earlier pages too.

Anne
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Hello, Anne! Actually, that one is showing double now, too :cry: And, it's not only the display, they play double!

Peace be with you,
Sister
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

A temporary solution: don't play them in the Archive player, but download the files and play them directly off one's computer. ;)

It's a problem, but it's not a major problem unless you use the Archive built-in player. Archive is aware of it and is working on it (how diligently we do not know, I guess), but we don't have a timeline for a solution, and we don't want to nag them.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I noticed - it was fine when I posted, must have just been waiting in a queue to rederive after I had added the cover .They are different files , one lot are our 128kb fixed bitrate files , the other are variable bitrate.

They are Archive pages - they can actually show things any way they like :D . They don't tell us what to do, we don't tell them
But they are being very helpful - it takes a while to work out what happens . They have already changed the image display for us , and the "double" issue when files are first uploaded https://archive.org/details/poemas_1701_librivox
:clap: , it's just secondary derives that are causing the pages to look odd and I am confident they will be done to our satisfaction, all these things take time to do properly

Anne
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

I understand that LV may not want to "nag them." But some of us have donated money, whether to LV via IA, or directly to IA. Their appeals show up on the pages of our work.

So, it might not be unreasonable for individuals to politely point out the problem this is causing for those who link to IA from elsewhere on the web.

For my own listening enjoyment, there are a number of work-arounds. I'm not concerned about that.

Peace be with you,
Sister
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I don't need to nag , they have said they are working on it. And it will happen.

Anne