Help! I'm new!

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
NickJG

Post by NickJG »

Hello everyone,

I hope you can help me.

I want to make my first test recording and submit it. I have seen it suggested that a good place to start is "weekly poetry". Is this "weekly poetry" different to general requests for poems and short works to be read? Also, what about "fortnightly poetry", which I have also seen mention of - is that different?

Where can I find a list of requests for weekly poetry? I see there is a thread for the co-ordination of weekly poetry, but what I can't find there is a simple list of requests. Also I understand that I need to know who the BC is, so that I can submit my recording to them.

Perhaps I can just choose any poem - but then - who should I submit it to?

Also - When I click on the uploader link http://librivox.org/login/uploader it requests my username and password. If I enter these exactly as I do for this forum I get an incorrect login message.

I'm fine (so far) with most of the techie side of things, it is just procedure that I'm a little baffled by at present.

All assistance welcome!

Regards, Nick.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Ah Nick, welcome to LibriVox! We LOVE baffled people; this means you care and want to do this weird recording stuff right.

I'm not going to give specific instructions because I am lazy, others will do that, I will just point you to this video as a start Getting To Know Our Forums http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnxpcbnEjoQ&feature=youtu.be At least some of your questions will be clarified but there will be lots more. Keep 'em coming. :thumbs:

EDIT: Oh, and this one about uploading a file https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB57z2l5LtA&list=UUg82GZ8Dap4MDbXpYuF06qA
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Hello Nick,

Start here.

When you're done reading that page, take your time and read other pages as well, follow the links, explore.

And on the forums, start by reading "stickies" (usually at the top of every forum). It will probably generate more questions, of course. Try to find answers to them in the wiki, if you can. If something is unclear, then ask them here, of course.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This week's weekly poem: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=63605
This fortnight's poem: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=63604

In the weekly and fortnightly poems, everyone reads the same poem. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
NickJG

Post by NickJG »

Thanks for the help everyone, I seem to be getting the hang of it now.

Check out my one minute test, if you have a minute to spare :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/oneminutetestnickjg.mp3

NickJG.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

We will. Could you post it in "Listeners Wanted"? Did you follow all instructions (like naming the file correctly, mono, constant bitrate...)?

ETA: Oh, I see that you did post it there and already got some feedback. Great! You are getting the hang of it. :thumbs:
tovarisch
MnemosyneD

Post by MnemosyneD »

Hello everyone,

I just logged in for the first time. Ive read Almost everything from instructions, but I dont know if I could read books on Croatian language. I dont have problems with English but Im much better in CRO. I will do my 1 minute test today AND post IT, AND im very excited.

So, if somebody know something about reading in CRO, please tell me what I need to do.

Thank YOU very much ???
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Hello and welcome! :)

When you have a question to ask or a problem you'd like some help with, it's better to start a new thread rather than post in another thread. That way you are given more attention and your post doesn't get lost. Also, it gives you an opportunity to put a deserving subject line.

To answer your question, any language is welcome here at LV, provided the book that you'd like to read is in the public domain (both in USA where the recording will be stored and in the country where you're going to read it). There is a small obstacle that you need to think of: your reading needs to be proof-listened, and that means that somebody else who can read and understand spoken Croatian should also be an LV member.

So, take it easy, start small, and you'll find that it's not all that difficult. Do your 1-minute test (doesn't have to be English either, you can just read something in CRO if you'd like). The 1-minute test is all about your settings and a little about your sound, not about your language or your pronunciation. It's not an audition.

Please ask any questions, we'll be happy to help. BTW, we have a non-English forum section too, if you'd rather communicate in Croatian. Somebody might see it, understand it and be able to reply... :wink:
tovarisch
MnemosyneD

Post by MnemosyneD »

Thank you very very much, I can't Wait to start. :clap:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We do have a multilingual poetry and short works collection viewtopic.php?p=1300498#p1300498 which once your "test" is OKed would be a good place for you to jump in . We do have a couple of Croation poems in previous ones - and we can always work something out about proof listening if we can't find a native speaker .

Anne