[complete] The Dark Frigate by Hawes - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

The Dark Frigate by Charles Boardman Hawes (1889 - 1923).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project: https://librivox.org/the-dark-frigate-by-charles-boardman-hawes/
The frigate Rose of Devon rescues from a wreck in mid-ocean twelve men who show their gratitude by seizing the Rose, killing her captain and sailing toward the Caribbean where they hope to plunder Spanish towns and galleons. Mistaking an English man-of-war for a merchantman, they are captured and brought back to England for trial. Only one, an English lad, Philip Marsham, a member of the original crew of the Rose, is acquitted; and he, after adventures in the forces of King Charles, tires of Cromwell's England and sails for Barbados once more on the Rose of Devon.
"The Dark Frigate" has long been a favorite story for boys and in 1924 was awarded the John Newbery Medal, given annually "for the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children."
When "The Dark Frigate" was first published F. F. Van deWater in The New York Tribune said: "No one, we think, has written so perfect a pirate tale since 'Treasure Island'." (from the dustjacket)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/50598
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Action & Adventure

Keywords that describe the book: piracy

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Dark Frigate. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Dark Frigate, by Charles Boardman Hawes. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Dark Frigate by Charles Boardman Hawes. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "Chapter [#, chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Chapter [#]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Dark Frigate, by Charles Boardman Hawes. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename darkfrigate_##_hawes_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. darkfrigate_01_hawes_128kb.mp3)
  • No need to enter ID3 tags

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kathrinee
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Kathrine
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

This looks like fun! May I DPL? :D
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Yes, please do, I'd love to have you on board, Rachel! Wow, that was quick :thumbs:

ETA:
This will be a slow-moving solo :)
Kathrine
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Chapter 2 is up :D Thank you!
Kathrine
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Chapter 3 is up. Thanks :D
Kathrine
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

2 and 3 are both PL OK!

:D
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Great! Thank you, Rachel :thumbs:
Kathrine
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Happy New Year! Chapter 4 is in the MW. Thank you :)

ETA:
And chapter 5 :thumbs:
Kathrine
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Chapter 6 is up
Kathrine
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Hi Kathrine, I'm sorry but I'm going to have to give up the DPL job - I can't see myself finding the time to PL these in a timely manner. :( It was great working on this project, thank you for the opportunity :D
Rachel

kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

No worries, Rachel, thank you for your help and thank you for letting me know :)
Kathrine
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Would enjoy being dpl.
DaveC
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Excellent, thank you, Dave :)
Kathrine
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

4-5 PL OK.
00:00-00:10 delete repeat, intro

Had to listen to chapters 1-3 first!
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Thank you for catching that! An edited chapter 6 is in the MW now, along with chapter 7.
Kathrine