Complete On the Sublime by Longinus - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

On the Sublime by Longinus. Translated by H. L. Havell ( - 0)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/on-the-sublime-by-andrew-lang/

This is a classical text on aesthetics and proper style in writing and rhetoric, including commentary on various ancient Greek works such as those of Plato, Homer, and Demosthenes. Authorship of this treatise is disputed/unknown, but the text is traditionally attributed to Longinus or Pseudo-Longinus. (summary by Amelia Chesley, adapted from Wikipedia)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/17957
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Andrew Lang) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Lang
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ( Longinus or unknown?) : n/a
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Sublime
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 30
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
  • Original publication date (if known): 1st century AD
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Amelia Chesley Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?: plaidsicle.blogspot.com
============================================

Genres for the project: Classics (Antiquity); *Non-fiction/Literary Criticism

Keywords that describe the book: style, Rhetoric, Oratory, aesthetics, classical rhetoric

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of On the Sublime . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "On the Sublime , by Longinus. Translated by H. L. Havell ( - 0) [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of On the Sublime by Longinus. Translated by H. L. Havell ( - 0) This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of On the Sublime , by Longinus. Translated by H. L. Havell ( - 0)"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

[*]Example filename longinus_onthesublime_##_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. longinus_onthesublime_01_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Longinus
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: On the Sublime

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by plaidsicle on May 26th, 2017, 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

I finally forced myself to choose a text for a solo project. my fellow rhetoric scholars nudged me toward this one-- hopefully it keeps me interested!
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I can set this up for you. Back in a few minutes with the MW.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

All set up.
It looks as if this is your first project as a BC/soloist. If you have any questions, just ask, but if you've read the wiki I think you'll find it straightforward. I assume you already have had access to Magic Windows in your capacity as a proof listener?
Talking of which, do you have a DPL set up, or do you need to advertise for one?
Lynne
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

thank you Lynne! yes, I have had MW access before as prooflistener. I'm still diving in to the soloist instructions, etc. but I should be able to figure stuff out (I hope).

I don't have a DPL lined up for this yet, so advertising for one would probably be a good idea. do I go ahead and post in Listeners Wanted, or is that an MC thing?
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

To start with, we just add the tilde (~) to the title and hang out on the launch pad for a couple of days to see if anyone comes along. When you've got a couple of sections recorded (or more...), you can advertise in Listeners Wanted - the only thing is that only an MC can add a 'sticky' (and make it sit at the top of the forum rather than work its way down as newer posts come along, and thereby get lost). If you do a post, any MC may add the sticky when they are looking at that forum (or you can just ask me).
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Moved to Going Solo. When you have a couple of sections recorded, you can advertise for a DPL.
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

okay!

I am struggling a bit to figure out the best way to group and divide the sections, but I'll hopefully record at least the frontmatter stuff within a week or two.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

plaidsicle wrote:okay!

I am struggling a bit to figure out the best way to group and divide the sections, but I'll hopefully record at least the frontmatter stuff within a week or two.
Take your time - it's your solo, your schedule 8-) Just be sure to check in every month or so, so I know you haven't given up :lol:
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

I think I've figured out my section divisions at last, and I combined more than I estimated I would. all the blank/extra section lines can be deleted whenever you get a chance. (or if that's something I can do in my BC back-end, let me know... I wasn't sure...)
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

plaidsicle wrote:I think I've figured out my section divisions at last, and I combined more than I estimated I would. all the blank/extra section lines can be deleted whenever you get a chance. (or if that's something I can do in my BC back-end, let me know... I wasn't sure...)
I'm not sure if you get to see the little 'x' on the right hand side of each line in the compiler, but I have deleted the sections for you. They are easy enough to add back in if necessary (just select 'add section').
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

first section!

it is 3:21 long https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/longinus_onthesublime_00_128kb.mp3

the little Xs you mention don't seem to show up in my version of the section compiler. hopefully we are all set with the right number though, anyways. thank you!
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Would enjoy being dpl.
DaveC
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

Dave, that would be wonderful.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com