Audacity will not save recording!

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
mamere

Post by mamere »

HELP!

The last time I tried recording a chapter, Audacity would not save it. I was told that it was either un-writable or that the disk was full. Does Audacity have a limited amount of space available for recording? If so, how can I get more disk space? Can I delete work that I have done before? How? Do I need to download a newer version of Audacity? The one I am using is 2.0.5.

I would appreciate any help, as I don't want to make another recording and not be able to save it. Very frustrating.

Thanks for any advice,
Mary Bell
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Hi Mary,

Take a look at your preferences (Edit -> Preferences... , or Ctrl+P) and select 'Directories'. Then pick the location which is not likely to run out of room soon. I am using version 2.1.2, so your interface may be slightly different, but hopefully you'll find that setting.

Good luck!
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
mamere

Post by mamere »

Re: Audacity not saving files

Tovarisch,

I took your advice and was told that there were 731.9 GB of space. Isn't that enough for a 40 minute recording? It also created a temp file. Which I really don't understand. I just want to know that any future recordings will be saved, so I don't lose several hours of work. Thanks for your help.

M. Bell
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moving this out of LOTE and to the regular "need help?" forum.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Thanks, Tricia.

Mary,

Do a check on your disk. If there is enough room in it, but it happens to have bad sectors or some other trouble, the program can feel it and then fail to output anything. If you're on Windows, go to Explorer, right-click on the volume and do "Properties", then select the "Tools" tab and then do "Check now...", and if it's a system disk you may need to let it restart because it will only check the system disk upon starting. If you're on Mac, I don't know how you check your volume, but there ought to be a way.

When you begin recording, do you tell Audacity what your project is named and where it's going to be written? Record the intro, then stop and do "Save As...", after which you can continue recording by Shift-clicking the record button. The temporary stuff should still go to the directory Audacity has in its "Preferences", though.

You don't have to be reading anything to experiment with Audacity. Just start recording and go away for the time you think it would take you to read a chapter, let Audacity record whatever it gets from the mic, it's not going to matter whether you sit in front of it or not. Then come back and see if the recording is OK or not. If it's still going, stop the recording and see if you can save whatever is there. Again, it won't matter that it's quiet or just noise or whatnot.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
mamere

Post by mamere »

Thanks,
I won't be able to check it all out until tomorrow (Wed), but I'll try everything you suggest and see what happens.

M. Bell
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Have you tried turning the computer on and off? I had this problem a few weeks ago, and that solved it for me.

Also, even though it wouldn't save, it did still let me export as a wav file, so I didn't lose my work.
Karen S.