Change of Genre in ID3 Tags

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
carteki

Post by carteki »

I don't know if you can change the Genre that is added to the ID3 tags when compiling a project, but it currently is Speech. I change it to Librivox when I make the M4B's. This will help point out where the files came from and circumvent the people who republish our work as the may not think to make changes to the ID3 tags.

Kim
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Genre has always been Speech. We used to add the genre manually, but the cataloging software now adds it automatically.
Jo
carteki

Post by carteki »

And like we seem to have changed the ending silence to a flat 5s, is this a change that we'd like to do (or can't because it requires software update)?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Well - end"silence" is something readers have control of so it can be changed easily . if it were built in to the software it would just happen.
but I've had a look at the cataloguing sotware for the ID tags and we can set title album artist track - no mention of Genre so it must be set automatically
and when I looked at Archive I wouldn't be able to change genre except maybe bt downloading all the files and changing it then reuploading.

I'm not actually sure what the genre field on the ID tags is used for and what by - I'd always assumed it was so some software somewhere knew what the file was and thus handled it correctly so knowing it was speech not music was a "good thing"
So I'd need to know that before deciding if it was good to change it if it was possible.
Anne
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Well...

1) Since the genre is added automatically during cataloging, this is nothing we can change at this point.

2) "LibriVox" is not a genre, just like "Lady Gaga" is not a music style.

3) I seem to vaguely remember that the genre "speech" is somehow influencing how our recordings are classified on itunes for example, but don't quote me on this one.

So, given 1) especially, I'd say we're out of luck.

However, taking a quick look at the id3 tags of a random recording I have on my computer right now, there are some fields pertaining to
"Origin":
Publisher
Encoded by
Author URL
copyright

So, if you want to change something in the ID3 tags, maybe use a field that is not used at all (by us) at the moment?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com