End Silences

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?

Does your player cut off the ends of recordings?

Poll ended at November 27th, 2016, 2:31 pm

Yes
3%
No
97%

Total votes: 35

Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I am in favour of unifying the end silence length, whether it be 2-3 seconds or 5 (10 just seems excessive). I never experienced any cutting off regardless of what type of media player I used. Also it's one of the most common problems with new readers' recordings- even if they get everything else right.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Kangaroo692 wrote:
kayray wrote:You have a good memory, Peter! :shock: Looks like RealPlayer is still a thing: www dot real dot com, if any windows users want to try it. Looks like they're more focused on video than audio, nowadays.
I've just installed it, and I'm going to make some experiments...

EDIT TO ADD - Trying with a 45 minute file shows no cut off. :)
Thank you, Kanga!
Laurie Anne
smike

Post by smike »

I think five seconds are fine, just to indicate the break between chapters. 10 seconds always felt
awfully long, though. I'd vote for 5sec for all sections.
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

5 seconds works for me - my player runs the chapters from one to the next, so I like a bit of a gap but 10 seconds is a lot.
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Five seconds is okay, but ten seconds seems like far too much dead air to me.

SOTE
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
AdeledePignerolles

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

I like the end silence! I used an MP3 once in the last year or so that cut off part of the end as well. I don't remember what kind it was though. :)
Adele

Post by Rapunzelina »

AdeledePignerolles wrote:I like the end silence! I used an MP3 once in the last year or so that cut off part of the end as well. I don't remember what kind it was though. :)
Did you notice if it cut off more than five seconds in longer recordings?
AdeledePignerolles

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

No, it didn't. I don't remember if it cut off all 5 seconds, but it did cut off some time (because one file that wasn't from LV and didn't have the silence had the end cut off.)
Adele

Post by lurcherlover »

I think 1 to 3 seconds is fine. We used to have a minimum of 0.5 seconds at the start of a CD track as some early CD players needed that time to kick in. Nowadays even that is not needed. End silence could be as low as 0.5 seconds as well, but 1-3 seconds a good compromise.
carteki

Post by carteki »

Have the admins discussed this? Is the end silence going to be just 5s regardless of the length?

Kim
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

carteki wrote:Have the admins discussed this? Is the end silence going to be just 5s regardless of the length?

Kim
Sadly, the annual all costs paid LV admins meeting/frolic in Vienna has been postponed this year due to a tiny disagreement on how many masseur/masseusses to have on 24 hour a day duty. This means we we have been forced to discuss this issue on line and without the benefit of pre-dinner cocktails. I understand that the majority of those who have expressed an opinion favor a flat 5 seconds regardless of length but no definitive change has been announced yet since some have not weighed in yet. Meanwhile please understand if some of us are a bit crotchety and out of sorts; we miss our conference, especially the whirlpools.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

My opinion is that Phil Chenevert is a very funny guy!

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

philchenevert wrote:... we have been forced to discuss this issue on line and without the benefit of pre-dinner cocktails.
Oh the humanity! :shock:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

After recovering from the disappointment at not having our Vienna conference, as well as recovering from the holidays, I think we can officially announce that recordings do not need 10 seconds of silence if the file is 30 minutes or longer. They can have about 5 seconds, as the shorter ones do.

The project template will not be changed just yet, so it's up to the BCs/Soloists to do what they want in their projects and make the change to the first post as desired.

We highly recommend leaving already-submitted sections the way they are. If BCs want to immediately allow readers in current projects to use shorter silences on new submissions, they're welcome to do so, or they can leave current projects the way they are and start the 5-second thing on future projects only.

So obviously we're being flexible with this. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I agree. I plan to start new projects with the 5 second rule for all sections.

And the conference was cancelled?! Well that explains why I drank chocolate at Café Schwarzenberg for 2 days and no other admin showed up. I voted anyway to increase our paid vacation to 7 weeks a year and give everyone a car upgrade every 2 years. What about the LivriVox Admin Cruise to the Bahamas, don't tell me that's been nixed too !?
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk